Overseas Netflix / Other

Im keen to know if it is viable to, or possible to go the overseas netflix account Via DNS / VPN and beam up to the telly from my phone app using chrome cast ATV or whatever. I believe it may be possible to get an overseas AFL pass and get better quality ect ect.
Is this doable or too hard?

Anyone used uflix?

We couldn’t use overseas Netflix through Chromecast as whilst the computer and router thought we were in the US the Chromecast knew better.

Yeah cant do it with chromecast unfortunately, ■■■■■■ google!

Haven’t Netflix cracked down on VPN/DNS access of overseas content (something to do with license agreements)? Read somewhere that subscribers should t worry too much at the moment since this action is something Netflix do from time to time but will ignore after a couple of months.

Not sure if it has anything to do with Netflix’s crackdown but in the last few days I’ve been forced to sign into my account twice even though I haven’t used DNS for a while now.

When I was accessing overseas content I used the Netflix icon on my smart TV via DNS. Used CactusVPN. Good service.

I had this problem too. There is apparently a way around it, but I wasn’t tech nerd smart enough to figure it out.

Is it the same problem for Apple TV?

I had this problem too. There is apparently a way around it, but I wasn’t tech nerd smart enough to figure it out.

Ditto

Depends on your device. Some can ‘mirror’ what’s on your tablet as opposed to ‘throw’ it. My Sony Z1 tablet can mirror no worries including AFL and Foxtel.

The mirror has a much lower quality IMO. Especially with video. From what I can tell, chromecast app signals the chromcast to fetch the content directly. much different to mirroring from a quality perspective.
What I am wondering is if you setup an overseas based chromecast account, then overseas based netflix account, would this work? I guess you would have to set some sort of proxy / vpn at the modem or router level.
I think that might work.

I also wonder what might happen if you purchased a chromecast from a US address would this then somehow register the mac address as US based

Yeah IME mirroring doesnt have the same quality (might be my devices/tv though). As peos alluded to above, there’s a work around with changing the DNS server number thingos, but i dont have the chops for that malarkey!

I have cracked this, Partially. I got a free trial of smartDNS, paid vesion is only $4.95 a month. This gets me all netflix US channels. Really easy to set up.
Problem with Chome cast, cant change DNS. Just s happens my cable modem, Optus cant also set DNS,
I can set DNS on my wifi connection on my laptop, and also on the wifi conenction on my android, and no doubt on my ipad.
I have a netgear screen cast thingy, and I can mirror off PC and android to that.
The ease with which I have done this has motivated me to look at something else as the whole morror casting thing is a bit fidgety to setup.
I might look at a micro PC plugged in by ethernet with smart DNS set, and just run that on an ubuntu or some other linux distro. Would prefer a remote solution but wireless keyboard not too bad,
Now does anyone know what the AFL for overseas quality is like. I have read it is at least SD quality, would this work behind DNS via a Browser?

1 Like

I think the solution maybe Apple TV, I reckon I can set the DNS manually for the smart proxy, and that should work for Netflix. As far as AFL goes, If the AFL offer an app for overseas viewers at better quality than the local version, for 90 bucks a year that might be the solution to f_cking Rupert right off.

Its really interesting to note the differences between countries on netflix. I dont think any other countries get reamed the way we do, but I was curious to see what the go is for better call saul even on US netflix. Looks like all the primo stuff like that is on optiona DVD service, Not sure if that is actual DVD or extra subscription. My Daughter is in Germany and she reckons that Better Call Saul is included over there.

With my proxy subscription I can switch countries too ! really easily

Does PureVPN - then enter the settings into your Router not work?

I think the solution maybe Apple TV, I reckon I can set the DNS manually for the smart proxy, and that should work for Netflix. As far as AFL goes, If the AFL offer an app for overseas viewers at better quality than the local version, for 90 bucks a year that might be the solution to f_cking Rupert right off.

Its really interesting to note the differences between countries on netflix. I dont think any other countries get reamed the way we do, but I was curious to see what the go is for better call saul even on US netflix. Looks like all the primo stuff like that is on optiona DVD service, Not sure if that is actual DVD or extra subscription. My Daughter is in Germany and she reckons that Better Call Saul is included over there.

With my proxy subscription I can switch countries too ! really easily

Hmmm, interesting.

I’ve got a US Netflix account.
US $7.99 per month, which I pay through an Australian Credit Card (go figure).

Anyhow, Better Call Saul is definitely on it.
Season 1, 10 Episodes.

I’ve been watching US Netflix for about 18months on Apple TV via my US ITunes account (which is ridiculously easy to set up, and acquire credit for)

I use UNLOCATOR as my VPN Service and pay the same as you.
No dramas at all with these guys !

I’ve been using international Netflix for a couple of years now - it’s fantastic.

I use the following site to search for the show I want to watch. It displays the countries that Netflix is showing it in:
www.moreflicks.com. I think you can access approx. four times more content on Netflix internationally than you can thru Netflix Australia.

I then use the following VPN/DNS service to change my country (costs $50 per annum): unblock-us.com. They provide excellent advice/guidance on getting set-up too. I use an Oppo blu-ray player to stream Netflix and Vudu, but as you can see there are a lot of devices you can use.

As far as AFL goes, I am an EFC international member at $150 per annum. (You can also just sign up direct with he AFL, but I don’t like giving them my money). This allows overseas IP addresses to access the AFL’s international streaming service - I just need to make sure I’m using an international IP address (it won’t let you in if you are on an Australian one). The quality is very good for viewing on a PC, but it does not mirror into larger screens very well. Rupert is long gone for me.

Go with the Apple TV.

Easy as.

Also has apps for Stan, MBA, NFL etc

As far as AFL goes, I am an EFC international member at $150 per annum. (You can also just sign up direct with he AFL, but I don't like giving them my money). This allows overseas IP addresses to access the AFL's international streaming service - I just need to make sure I'm using an international IP address (it won't let you in if you are on an Australian one). The quality is very good for viewing on a PC, but it does not mirror into larger screens very well. Rupert is long gone for me.

This would be my preference too but its bad enough watching EFC getting hammered without seeing it on a big screen in crap SD.

I couldnt end up cracking the netflix via chromecast thing, I ended up doin a micro PC hdmi out with a little micro keyboard with trackpad, I did the DNS/prox thing and it works great. Chrome cast still OK for flicking things from my phone to the telly. I also installed Kodi.
With genesis, and a few other thousand streaming choices, I think I’ve got things covered.
Also can access AFL as overseas guest, mmmmm quality is better, but only maybe, just, as good as upscaled SD and a tiny bit jerky, talking 2%. My internet is fine, so it could be my CPU. Could watch it on there if I was a tad desperate, but Im not
Also its $150 USD a year for the season pass, so a dead set rip off. I might have to retain my damn foxtel and just negociate harder on the base level package to get sports. My brother reckons he got basic, with sport for $38 a month with no contract.
Foxtel under the pump now it seems. Im definately not shelling out $100 a minth to foxtel ever again