Overseas Netflix / Other

As far as AFL goes, I am an EFC international member at $150 per annum. (You can also just sign up direct with he AFL, but I don't like giving them my money). This allows overseas IP addresses to access the AFL's international streaming service - I just need to make sure I'm using an international IP address (it won't let you in if you are on an Australian one). The quality is very good for viewing on a PC, but it does not mirror into larger screens very well. Rupert is long gone for me.

This would be my preference too but its bad enough watching EFC getting hammered without seeing it on a big screen in crap SD.

I agree, it is my one pleasure and frustration in life, but I have to have the best quality for footy too I think. Rupert probably wins that one…for now

Yeah cant do it with chromecast unfortunately, ■■■■■■ google!

Depends on your device. Some can ‘mirror’ what’s on your tablet as opposed to ‘throw’ it. My Sony Z1 tablet can mirror no worries including AFL and Foxtel.

My DNS provider reckons if you can set DNS or VPN, at router level, it will work. I have a new optus cable modem, there are no such options. Screw Optus cable for that, but anyway Im happy with what I have ended up with. Between Kodi and US netflix for about $15 a month I have unlimted movies and TV shows, add $5 a month for the VPN, its still ■■■■■ all over foxtel. Best thing I think is you can do on demand for everything

I know what you are saying. The match thread is good for people outside Vic who do not have access to Foxtel. For many, it’s the best way to get live updates on the game.

Readers of it just have to realise the thread is presented through the emotional prism of dedicated supporters who overly celebrate any gain and despair over any setback.

Yep. The thing is what to do about the footy. You could avoid the match and media for a day or two - and would also have to avoid Blitz - and download the game from everyone’s favourite Estonian site. I may go that way next year.

Except for the avoid Blitz bit. This site is too addictive.

Yep. The thing is what to do about the footy. You could avoid the match and media for a day or two - and would also have to avoid Blitz - and download the game from everyone's favourite Estonian site. I may go that way next year.

Except for the avoid Blitz bit. This site is too addictive.

The match thread is anti-addictive. I haven’t looked at it once in years. I reckon a few psychiatrists would be interested though.

I couldnt end up cracking the netflix via chromecast thing, I ended up doin a micro PC hdmi out with a little micro keyboard with trackpad, I did the DNS/prox thing and it works great. Chrome cast still OK for flicking things from my phone to the telly. I also installed Kodi. With genesis, and a few other thousand streaming choices, I think I've got things covered. Also can access AFL as overseas guest, mmmmm quality is better, but only maybe, just, as good as upscaled SD and a tiny bit jerky, talking 2%. My internet is fine, so it could be my CPU. Could watch it on there if I was a tad desperate, but Im not Also its $150 USD a year for the season pass, so a dead set rip off. I might have to retain my damn foxtel and just negociate harder on the base level package to get sports. My brother reckons he got basic, with sport for $38 a month with no contract. Foxtel under the pump now it seems. Im definately not shelling out $100 a minth to foxtel ever again

Definitely worth doing the hard word on Foxtel. You will be able to get a better deal. Tell 'em you are leaving because too expensive and they will start to make deals.

I upgraded my Optus cable to unlimited with all the likely streaming Im going to do with netflix / kodi and maybe afl. I got fetch tv box with the deal for free, with no subscriptions.
Not as smooth and nice looking as IQ2, but pleasently surprised. Best thing is, I can run my vpn on the network connection and get overseas Netflix programs setting the DNS to the vpn. So this gives me a very nice easy way to access netflix, with overseas content through my tv remote.
I think I will now completely ditch foxtel , as I have more content than I can ever watch for under $20 a month (excluding internet, that I have to have either way). I will do ad hoc access to AFL that isnt on FTA through overseas AFL via VPN. Quality not as good as foxtel HD but isnt that bad, and when a game gets going these things arent as noticable anyway.
Even If I buy a few games here and there, I reckon Im still saving $800-$1000 a year easily

I upgraded my Optus cable to unlimited with all the likely streaming Im going to do with netflix / kodi and maybe afl. I got fetch tv box with the deal for free, with no subscriptions. Not as smooth and nice looking as IQ2, but pleasently surprised. Best thing is, I can run my vpn on the network connection and get overseas Netflix programs setting the DNS to the vpn. So this gives me a very nice easy way to access netflix, with overseas content through my tv remote. I think I will now completely ditch foxtel , as I have more content than I can ever watch for under $20 a month (excluding internet, that I have to have either way). I will do ad hoc access to AFL that isnt on FTA through overseas AFL via VPN. Quality not as good as foxtel HD but isnt that bad, and when a game gets going these things arent as noticable anyway. Even If I buy a few games here and there, I reckon Im still saving $800-$1000 a year easily

■■■■■■ oath, that sounds like a much better solution.
You are lucky to have the choice to be able to do that. Those of us in the bush with barely a 1mbps connection and no free to air tv don’t have the option.

That sucks, they probably have better broadband in Syria

Ended u settling with unblockUS as the vpn proxy, seems to work the best with streaming around geoblock, just another thing, those into kodi, ■■■■■■ hell exodus is good!

Ended u settling with unblockUS as the vpn proxy, seems to work the best with streaming around geoblock, just another thing, those into kodi, ■■■■■■ hell exodus is good!

What do you use Kodi for, Tezza? I had played around with XBMC sometime back, but haven’t played with Kodi.

What is Exodus? Is it an addon?

Exodus seems really good, the new version of genesis, Kodi great for streaming TV and movie content, I also have a decent stream for UKTV sky sports, got some quality streams for the cricket ect,
I also think now as this is probably a gap year of sorts for Essendon, ill watch all footy via AFL oversesas by vpn. Its good enough, the quality offset is minimal. Using unblockUS, the consistency is flawless, The picture quality is good, not true HD but I would say somewhere between 720 and HD, The only issue I think was framerate, and that may possibly have been a chrome issue.
I switched to firefox on the weekend and I think it is better, but I have probably over analyzed it, so now I will just watch the rest of the nab games this way and see how it goes, Seems OK tho

Perhaps the shinny new toy of Netflix is rusting… but I am finding the content on Netflix to be a bit meh these days

Perhaps the shinny new toy of Netflix is rusting... but I am finding the content on Netflix to be a bit meh these days
Usa content OK and netflix works flawlessly. Anything better than shelling out cash to fuxtel I reckon. If you get unblocker vpn you can switch countries too if content isnt avail in USA
Perhaps the shinny new toy of Netflix is rusting... but I am finding the content on Netflix to be a bit meh these days
Usa content OK and netflix works flawlessly. Anything better than shelling out cash to fuxtel I reckon. If you get unblocker vpn you can switch countries too if content isnt avail in USA

Mate, would you please keep us updated with regards to footy quality through vpn? Would dearly love to sever the cable tie.

I never realised watching tv was so complex

It’s the ‘getting disentangled from horrible commercial TV & rip-off cable service’ that’s complicated.
I really need to do this to preserve what little sanity I have left. Had a fight with the missus last night, who basically told me to stfu and go downstairs, because I was continuously bagging her TV shows and ads on TV while I was in the kitchen.

Had a fight with the missus last night, who basically told me to stfu and go downstairs, because I was continuously bagging her TV shows and ads on TV while I was in the kitchen.

But you know what? You were right!

Edit: and she knows it!

Had a fight with the missus last night, who basically told me to stfu and go downstairs, because I was continuously bagging her TV shows and ads on TV while I was in the kitchen.

Nah, I’m a pain in the ■■■■ lately. I need to go bush for a while.

Nah, I’m a pain in the ■■■■ lately. I need to go bush for a while.

I am the same Deckham. I get in trouble making comments on the dodgy shows she watches as well. To stop this I bought her a wireless headset that she can use to listen to the TV so I don’t have to be annoyed by the comments. Makes it much easier to bear.

If you need somewhere to camp I have some nice spots down on the creek that I would be happy to share.