Panic Dollars 2017 - the game

The amount of currency in the panic market seems to be growing like it’s pre Hitler Germany, not that I have a problem with that

Well, I don’t see a future for this game as most ppl here don’t get it. However, apparently I don’t accept change well so wtf knows.

Now that you’ve provided examples to this game I actually get it. Maybe those examples would hav helped earlier to get ppl buying in.

Looking at most ppl’s selections I will be middle of the table for next round :slight_smile: as quite a few have selected players not named this game … nothing to see here … pls proceed

I put 1 dorrar on every senior player on the list.

Racist.

$500 on Gumbleton thanks.

Rioli’s done his hammy again in training and will miss the Elimination final v Melbourne.

I think I know the answers now but…

Do you keep players week-to-week? Can I buy Bellchambers now and hold on to him and (hopefully) make a fortune later?

Does the transaction cost re-set every week?

Good questions -

You keep the players you buy until you sell or swap them - and only then do you incur another transaction cost.

However, I would caution against planning to hold a non-playing player for any length of time expecting to get a fortune eventually. When it looks like they are likely to get a game (i.e. they return to full training and start to perform all drills well, or a current player is injured freeing up a spot) then I will reduce their return rate as they are less of a risk. You get the return rate when they play, not the rate when you bought them.

The transaction costs will stay the same up to round 1 as I expect there will be a fair bit of rotation in team during JLT and I don’t want these costs to be a barrier. However, once we get into the season proper I will probably change/increase them a bit.

Just to be clear, I had $50 on Jerrett and not Zerrett. Second post from the top of page2

OK, sorry. I’ll fix it after Thursday’s game.

Now that you've provided examples to this game I actually get it. Maybe those examples would hav helped earlier to get ppl buying in.

As with most games it doesn’t matter how clear the rules are, it is only when you play the first rounds do people actually get how it works. More examples earlier would have just had have more people saying too long / didn’t read.

Now that you've provided examples to this game I actually get it. Maybe those examples would hav helped earlier to get ppl buying in.

As with most games it doesn’t matter how clear the rules are, it is only when you play the first rounds do people actually get how it works. More examples earlier would have just had have more people saying too long / didn’t read.

I commend you for putting this together and the dedication that will be required to run it week in week out. I want to play it but I also want to know all the rules upfront, not find out the answer to a rule just because someone asked for it. But, once again, I commend you for the effort

You keep the players you buy until you sell or swap them - and only then do you incur another transaction cost.

However, I would caution against planning to hold a non-playing player for any length of time expecting to get a fortune eventually. When it looks like they are likely to get a game (i.e. they return to full training and start to perform all drills well, or a current player is injured freeing up a spot) then I will reduce their return rate as they are less of a risk. You get the return rate when they play, not the rate when you bought them.

I need to set up a futures market.

When will rates be announced? Once a week? If someone is reported will an interim rate be set prior to the Tribunal?

Sick! I thought I had lost 75% but actually gained 25%. This game is easy as… getting really confused.

YES. 100 bucks on Michael Hurley.

I still think you should flip the nomenclature at this early stage so it’s correct. I see what you’re saying but I don’t think people investing in JD for instance would actually prefer that he doesn’t play so that they can make fake money on an artificial stock market on Australia’s biggest single team fan forum.

I might start with a blue chip portfolio of reliables - Hurls, Myers, Lav and Francis.

I made a lot of money with a similar strategy in the heady days of Winderlich , Gumbleton and Dempsey.

text

This clip explains it in more layman’s terms.

KFC

• Will the odds for players change as the year progresses?
  • Are the transaction costs reset each round? Eg: is the first transaction each round $1
  • Just to confirm… you do not lose your $'s if the player doesn’t play, you just don’t get the return?
KFC
  • Will the odds for players change as the year progresses?
  • Are the transaction costs reset each round? Eg: is the first transaction each round $1
  • Just to confirm… you do not lose your $'s if the player doesn’t play, you just don’t get the return?
I think I know the answers now but…

Do you keep players week-to-week? Can I buy Bellchambers now and hold on to him and (hopefully) make a fortune later?

Does the transaction cost re-set every week?

Good questions -

The transaction costs will stay the same up to round 1 as I expect there will be a fair bit of rotation in team during JLT and I don’t want these costs to be a barrier. However, once we get into the season proper I will probably change/increase them a bit.

KFC answered a few of your questions in this post above

1. The return rates are variable.
  2. The transaction rates will change once the season starts
  3. No you don’t lose your dollars… The projected results KFC posted earlier in the thread after the squad was named showed one player will hold $99 after they put $100 on Bellchambers (ie. $100 minus $1 transaction fee).

Its an easy game to play - well done KFC. I’d love to know how many hours you poured into figuring it all out.

The main thing is its not betting, its purely a trading game for rates of return. Risk vs reward

I need to set up a futures market.

When will rates be announced? Once a week? If someone is reported will an interim rate be set prior to the Tribunal?

Also to samwoods …

I expect some rates will change every week depending on what is happening. There won’t be any freebies - for example if a 1st year game rookie is upgraded and on wednesday the club releases video of him telling his mum to get on the plane - don’t expect to buy him on Thursday morning and get 10 times return.

Remember if you have $50 invested in a player, the only thing that changes his value is the next match and whether he plays. You can still sell him for $50 till the next game, his value doesn’t go to $40 when reported, to $30 after gets 2 weeks at MRP, to $35 when he appeals, and to $20 when appeal lost.

I am not Ben McDevitt, I won’t be changing rules just to say gotcha! Also the more complicated it is, the more work to write algorithms to make it all work and I don’t want this to become too much work for me. So don’t expect any random nasty disruptions like a reality TV show.

Rule and rate changes will be to keep different strategies in balance. For example if you have 4 different gamers taking different strategies -

• A puts all his money on first player picked every week
  • B puts all his money on likely 22nd player picked every week
  • C puts all his money on risky players expecting he gets one pick right every 4 weeks
  • D puts all his money of very risky players expecting he gets only 2 picks correct over the season
    … Ideally I would like all these strategies to end up with about the same amount of money at the end of the season. So that is how I am looking at it.

Also the settings now are to deal with the expected high rotation during JLT and up to round 1. But as it becomes clearer that the match committee have settled on about 25 players, the rates and transaction costs will change to bring the various strategies back into balance. At that time I might also bring in a small penalty cost if your player doesn’t play as well as a return. But you will get at least a match’s notice of any big rule changes.

And yes the transaction count restarts at zero every week, they aren’t cumulative through the year - I misunderstood that question last time.

Just waiting for a pun....

punic