Parking Fines

Any one been able to get out of a parking fine?

Have you used an excuse that has worked?

They seem to be harder to remit than speeding fines...

The-city-of-new-york-vs-homer-simpson-9x

So I take it you‘re guilty?

I am in the process of fighting a couple. We parked on Toorak road to do some work at the the Como building near the corner of Chapel street. My guys set their phone alarms and every hour, just before the hour was up, my guys moved the cars. It did not stop the city of Stonnington papering our vehicle. 

Strictly speaking, movement is held to be irrelevant. The vehicle must exit the length or area covered by the same sign or series of repeated signs. If there‘s an adjacent single space that breaks up the restriction (e.g. disabled or loading space) you could move just two spaces to the other side — but if the same restriction goes on for a few hundred metres, no such luck.

I got done for not facing the direction of traffic in Hawthorn, this was at 7:30am, i pulled up, went in and asked the customers to move there car so i can drive in, waited 10minutes for them to get out and brang my ute in, got a ticket in the mail. 

I challenged it, that i think the law actually says it is OK to park that way under certain conditions. 

I think the Road safetly act 2009 rule 208 had exceptions and i fell into that, but they did not see it that way, so i paid the fine. 

What exception were you arguing in 208? I don‘t see an obvious one.

I am in the process of fighting a couple. We parked on Toorak road to do some work at the the Como building near the corner of Chapel street. My guys set their phone alarms and every hour, just before the hour was up, my guys moved the cars. It did not stop the city of Stonnington papering our vehicle. 

Strictly speaking, movement is held to be irrelevant. The vehicle must exit the length or area covered by the same sign or series of repeated signs. If there‘s an adjacent single space that breaks up the restriction (e.g. disabled or loading space) you could move just two spaces to the other side — but if the same restriction goes on for a few hundred metres, no such luck.

Where does it say that on the sign?

205 Parking for longer than indicated

(1) A driver must not park continuously on a length of road, or in an area, to which a permissive parking sign applies for longer than the period indicated by information on or with the sign or, if rule 206 applies to the driver, the period allowed under that rule.

Before you start picking at “continuously”, I understand this has been thrashed out and the interpretation I gave above applies. 

When I was at uni car parking was typically expensive, however there were a few primo spots in the street right out front for free.

Ithere was this big loud mouth Yank who drove this distinctive Land Cruiser and was parked in pole position right out the front. Must’ve got to uni at 5am or something.

When I arrived Athere were some council workers setting up signs for line markings in the road and preparation for a new bus stop right where he was parked.

The marked out a bus stop right around his car!

Me and a few of the lads went down for look and a laugh, knowing that this yank would just go batshit crazy. Get down there and the new lines are done, and the new bus stop sign is up just in time for the friendly neighbourhood parking inspector to come past and slap a fine on him.

Spent the rest of the day following this dude around and then watched him get to his car. As expected he went mental and it was probably one of the highlights of my time at uni. Didn’t see the funny side of it whatsoever.

Toorak Rd sounds fancy.

If it’s from a private company just don’t pay it. They going to take you to court over $70? No chance.

Local councils, pay it.

when I was a student in Dunedin, NZ, the university/city created paid parking spaces outside a bunch of student flats one day with no warning at all, and then the city ticketed all the cars parked there before the owners even knew that the rules had changed. When asked about it, the City parking/transportation manager stated that ' the students can just drive their cars away to free parking spaces and then walk back to the university'. IE move your car away from your house, and away from the campus, then walk back to the campus. Now I know students enjoy a grizzle, but it was a bit sh*tface when the rents were astronomical in this particular location precisely due to the proximity to campus and availability of residential parking...

If it's from a private company just don't pay it. They going to take you to court over $70? No chance.
Local councils, pay it.

The ■■■■■■ report it to credit agencies though. So don't pay it, then once they forward it to the credit reporting agencies send the credit agencies a stat dec saying you don't believe you are liable for the debt - saves you getting caught out down the track for having a bad credit record.

when I was a student in Dunedin, NZ, the university/city created paid parking spaces outside a bunch of student flats one day with no warning at all, and then the city ticketed all the cars parked there before the owners even knew that the rules had changed. When asked about it, the City parking/transportation manager stated that ' the students can just drive their cars away to free parking spaces and then walk back to the university'. IE move your car away from your house, and away from the campus, then walk back to the campus. Now I know students enjoy a grizzle, but it was a bit sh*tface when the rents were astronomical in this particular location precisely due to the proximity to campus and availability of residential parking...

964437-f00231ba-5e46-11e4-9c68-d403f5dcc

Way to buzzkill.

Council jerk.

I dont want to talk about parking fines.

Don't get 'em.

biketowork.jpg

FUN. PRACTICAL.

FUNTICAL.

Don't get 'em.
biketowork.jpg

On the spot fine...$146
The bike must have at least one effective brake and a warning device such as bell or horn (Rule 258)
Plus, looks to have been "dangerous driving of a vehicle other than a motor vehicle will be liable to a penalty of 120 penalty units ($14,018) or 12 months imprisonment or both, which is half the maximum penalty that can be imposed in the case of a motor vehicle."
Kerching!

I have a system for dealing with fines, I complain a lot about them then I pay them on the due date..

Granted it's not much of a system but it works for me.

Haven't had a parking fine since I realised that the signs mean what they say

Seen it a few times where a parking inspector will park illegally in order to write tickets for illegally parked cars................

....they can break the law in order to uphold the law it seems.