Pass mark 2015 - What are your expectations of the team?

An interesting article written in the Hun regarding the “pass mark” of each club, eg what does each club have to achieve in terms of wins/ladder position to be seen to have a satisfactory season? This is what they said ago us:

ESSENDON

Ben Waterworth’s analysis: THE Bombers have been threatening to break into the “premiership contender” category for the past two years. This season is when they officially do. With four players aged over 30, as well as 15 players in the peak years of 25-29, Essendon must push for a top-four spot and aim to win a final — something it hasn’t achieved since 2004. The Dons picked up Adam Cooney, James Gwilt and Jon Giles during the exchange period — all players that are ready to make an immediate impact at the club. We wait to see if — or how severely — the club will be punished for its controversial supplements program. Implications of that aside, the Bombers are primed for a top-four assault.

Pass Mark: 4th or higher

A very generous score indeed, looking at list demographics we should be getting the best years out of it in 2015-16, whilst the older stars like Jobe and BJ still can play at a high level, and the likes of Heppell, Zaka, Hurls, Carlisle etc just enter their peak. Is that where we see ourselves? Personally I think if we can finish 5th-6th and win our Elimination Final we have had an adequate year. If we get lucky, maybe end up on the soft side of the draw and sneak through to the Prelims a’la North, but probably fall short at the next hurdle.

The full article link is:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaking-news/afl-season-what-is-your-clubs-pass-mark/story-fnect155-1227197333734

Should be pushing top 4, anything less will be a failure with the squad we have

All about Joey and Buckets. They fire and we give it a serious shake.

Think the article is spot on. My thoughts almost exactly.

4th is a pass mark.

All hinges on the forward line though.

We should have beaten North last season. Based on that, finishing bottom half of the 8 and winning one final is not really much of improvement in my eyes. So I pretty much agree with the article.

Top 4 or bust, agree with a lot of his football related views. Any comments about the FASADA saga can ■■■■ right off, since his rag of a paper has been one of the main sources driving the saga along for the last 2 years.

Flag or membership is thrown in the Moonee Ponds creek.

Prelim final or fk off

Top 4 I feel is a realistic expectation for the club. I think overall that the team is stronger than last year, with the loss of Ryder offset by the arrival of Cooney and the rehabilitation of Bellchambers. As last year though, we need to be scoring more heavily. Solve that, especially against the lower ranked sides, and that extra win against a Melbourne or a Saints is probably enough to get us over the line.

I think we have the squad for a top 4 finish, but, as with all top teams, we will need some luck with lack of injuries, especially to the likes of T’Bell and our the rest of the spine players, and our top mids for that matter. Hopefully we have enough players coming on to develop some midfield depth.

ASADA stuff still hanging over the players, combined with the amount of players in the modified group, has me less than bullish.

May

ASADA stuff still hanging over the players, combined with the amount of players in the modified group, has me less than bullish.

May still make the eight.

A reply to: @riley13 regarding QuoteLink

Flag or membership is thrown in the Moonee Ponds creek.

microwave around the membership?

Kick goals. Win games.

my expectations.
finish season in the top 4.
make it to the prelim finals
unearth some young talent
go into 2016 with confidence

I agree with most. We will be aiming for top four. If we finish 5-8th and win a final I would be ok but we really need to be moving up the ladder this year and next.

We need to out-perform North, Geelong and Richmond. Do that, and we’re top 4.

Defence is not a worry, we were 4th best in the AFL last season in the H&A and that group won’t change at all. Midfield we now have a very good starting 4-5 (Watson, Goddard, Zaka, Heppell, Hocking) with a solid enough core of others that will rotate through (Myers, Howlett, Melksham, the Merretts, Cooney, Colyer, etc). Goals is the biggest concern, and losing Ryder the ruck is a question mark of sorts which, if Bellchambers stays fit and Giles comes in and does a job for us, should be sound enough. Mentality is another thing. If we can a) batter the poor sides and b) not lapse in and out of games, then our best is good enough to be in the top 5-6 teams in the comp. But, Hawthorn, Sydney, Port probably be the 3 locks in the top four, which leaves Freo, Geelong, North, Us, Richmond, probably a resurgent Adelaide competing for 4th. I’d still back the Dockers to get there given their coach and with a reasonable run with injuries. They will be too solid at home (win a minimum 9 games in Perth) plus if they win 6+ on their travels, that’s probably enough.

Quoted Post

Defence is not a worry, we were 4th best in the AFL last season in the H&A and that group won't change at all. Midfield we now have a very good starting 4-5 (Watson, Goddard, Zaka, Heppell, Hocking) with a solid enough core of others that will rotate through (Myers, Howlett, Melksham, the Merretts, Cooney, Colyer, etc). Goals is the biggest concern, and losing Ryder the ruck is a question mark of sorts which, if Bellchambers stays fit and Giles comes in and does a job for us, should be sound enough. Mentality is another thing. If we can a) batter the poor sides and b) not lapse in and out of games, then our best is good enough to be in the top 5-6 teams in the comp. But, Hawthorn, Sydney, Port probably be the 3 locks in the top four, which leaves Freo, Geelong, North, Us, Richmond, probably a resurgent Adelaide competing for 4th. I'd still back the Dockers to get there given their coach and with a reasonable run with injuries. They will be too solid at home (win a minimum 9 games in Perth) plus if they win 6+ on their travels, that's probably enough.

You forgot Gold Coast