Patrick Ambrose was not picked at 62 tonight

Patrick Ambrose was supposed to be picked at 62 in tonights draft. ?

He was

They don’t announce rookie elevations during draft now. Do it before it starts.

RIP

Can't wait to see him with a full pre-season under his belt and having a year in the system already. Will become a goal kicking wrecking ball!

For some reason the AFL decided to remove the upgrades from the proceedings but keep the other set picks (father-sons zones etc).
Not sure if there were any last-pick set picks that nominally should also have been banished to pick 999, never to exist.
I wonder if they‘ll retrospectively change the draft numbers for the previous quarter of a century, to be consistent?
You‘ll be seeing confused mistakes forever now (we traded for pick 46 and picked up this great star! Who‘d have thought we could pick him up at 44!)

For some reason the AFL decided to remove the upgrades from the proceedings but keep the other set picks (father-sons zones etc).
Not sure if there were any last-pick set picks that nominally should also have been banished to pick 999, never to exist.
I wonder if they‘ll retrospectively change the draft numbers for the previous quarter of a century, to be consistent?

They have to read out the FS/academy picks to make them official, rookie promotions are different as they're already officially on the senior list pre-draft. The reason they started reading out rookie promotions in the first place was twofold: someone (Demetriou I think) decided they deserved their due of hearing their name read out on draft night, but the bigger reason was with all the restricted drafts and clubs taking minimal picks the AFL wanted to artificially boost the amount of picks "taken" on draft night.

Without removing the rookie picks there would've been 107 picks taken, which would've pushed things close to running overtime. Another possibility that could occur in future years is the other thing that was brought in for the expansion drafts (your 3rd pick can be a rookie elevation) is removed and you must take 3 new players at the draft.

Oh no!!!

I'm so devastated!

■■■■■■ hell!

What's to happen now????

That's it....microwaving membership...

oh, hang on...

They have to read out the FS/academy picks to make them official, rookie promotions are different as they're already officially on the senior list pre-draft. The reason they started reading out rookie promotions in the first place was twofold: someone (Demetriou I think) decided they deserved their due of hearing their name read out on draft night, but the bigger reason was with all the restricted drafts and clubs taking minimal picks the AFL wanted to artificially boost the amount of picks "taken" on draft night.

Without removing the rookie picks there would've been 107 picks taken, which would've pushed things close to running overtime. Another possibility that could occur in future years is the other thing that was brought in for the expansion drafts (your 3rd pick can be a rookie elevation) is removed and you must take 3 new players at the draft.

They could stop with the chatter in between picks. That'd do it.

PADDY AMBROSE!!