Patrick Dangerfield

Agreed. Crap compensation for a player of his ability.
The system is ■■■■.

If Adelaide’s primary concern was getting fair compensation, they should have traded him two years ago. They’ve known this was coming for years, but held out hope until they ran out of options.

I think the rules could and should be better, but Adelaide waited until they’d been backed into a corner before they started swinging. They made the same mistake with Tippett, so at least Dangerfield worked out better than that.

What kind of strategy is that though? Second guessing when a player is going to want to leave? Not a way to run your footy dept I would have thought.

What kind of strategy is that though? Second guessing when a player is going to want to leave? Not a way to run your footy dept I would have thought.

Second guessing? Hardly. Admittedly he was at school, but Dangerfield spent his first year as a Crow living in Victoria. There has been unceasing speculation on him moving since the day he was drafted. They got done for breaching payment rules keeping Tippett because they knew he wanted to leave, and if rumours are to be believed there was a clause in his contract allowing him to leave if a certain quality of trade was offered.

If you know someone wants to leave, you have the choice of backing yourself to keep them, or trading them when you have the upper hand. Adelaide gambled and lost.

They were offered two high picks last year and said no

If someone offered us to early picks for Carlise/Ryder i would bite there hand off

But Adelaide wanted to play the hard game

Do you blame them? It was clear that Dangerfield was going to turn into one of the best midfielders in the game - you do absolutely everything you can to keep him - even though there’s a huge flight risk. Plenty of things can change in two years.

Adelaide got completely screwed, again.
Geelong have a shedload of young guns and Adelaide ended up with precisely none of them.
I find it bizarre that this trade got done so quickly, but not as bizarre as them regularly playing finals despite losing Davis, Gunston, Tippett, draft picks, and it’s not like Crouch has set the world on fire…

Yep - Geelong made out like absolute bandits here.

Adelaide should have been going home from this trade with one of Geelong’s top ten players PLUS their first pick.

Motlop, Guthrie, Caddy all finished top ten in their B’n’F and one of them should be a Crows player if we’re talking fair compensation.

Danger couldn't stop smiling all the way through his press conference.

He’s always wanted to play for Geelong and looked like the cat that got the cream!

He’s always like that. Have you seen one of his press conferences before?

Adelaide knew he was going to be a gun to the degree that they drafted him a year before he could even play for them. He has proven them right to do so. They have been royally fuct over here.

football is the real winner, folks.

Danger couldn't stop smiling all the way through his press conference.

He’s always wanted to play for Geelong and looked like the cat that got the cream!

He’s always like that. Have you seen one of his press conferences before?

Yes I have but can’t remember him being all smiley right the way through.

we need more than danger!! is Kennedy on the table as well

Yet to win a final in Cats’ colours. Should rack up his fourth loss tonight. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like I don’t know this guy at all. I wish he would do some more interviews and tv appearances so we can get to know him better.

4 Likes

Hes a very private person. Not interested in the limelight.

2 Likes