Michael Walters is the weakest and worst player in the league since Lindsay Thomas

I have a question for you guys.
We heard BJ, give it to a player on the TV last Friday, for being “a weak …”

Do the majority of players enforce their playing code by letting their opponents know what they think of them when they milk frees?
If so, I would imagine a lot of players “call out” Lindsay Thomas for the way he goes about it.

I notice he laughs/smiles at all around him, when he gets a free in this way. Its smug, and very annoying.

“The spirit of the game to me is (about) the onus being on the tackler to lay a correct tackle.”

“As for challenging the tackler in a high-tackle situation, everyone does it. It just so happens that there are some who are better at it than others.”

What an utter ****wit.

Bloke is ■■■■■■■ muppet, but I wish we would have a small forward half as good as him.

Like some of the worst divers in the game (including Lloydy) he is good enough to not need to do it.

It pains me to say it, but Brad Scott made a good point in his presser, he is only able to do it because he has the ball in his hand.

Bloke is ■■■■■■■ muppet, but I wish we would have a small forward half as good as him.

Like some of the worst divers in the game (including Lloydy) he is good enough to not need to do it.

It pains me to say it, but Brad Scott made a good point in his presser, he is only able to do it because he has the ball in his hand.

That’s a farking terrible point. Players get the ball about 700 times a game in total. It’s not a great achievement. Thomas gets it maybe 15 times a game and tries to draw a free kick about a third of those times.

The game isn’t about just winning the ball. Once you get it the rules actually say you can now be tackled. There is no other time you’re allowed to be tackled except when you win it. Winning the ball therefore put you under pressure. It’s not a reward in itself. The only reward is if you win it and can use it to your team’s advantage before being caught.

Getting the ball isn’t some magical feat that should give you special privileges. The opposite in fact. You can still receive high contact without the ball. You can only be caught holding the ball if you get it.

That’s a farking terrible point. Players get the ball about 700 times a game in total. It’s not a great achievement. Thomas gets it maybe 15 times a game and tries to draw a free kick about a third of those times.

The game isn’t about just winning the ball. Once you get it the rules actually say you can now be tackled. There is no other time you’re allowed to be tackled except when you win it. Winning the ball therefore put you under pressure. It’s not a reward in itself. The only reward is if you win it and can use it to your team’s advantage before being caught.

Getting the ball isn’t some magical feat that should give you special privileges. The opposite in fact. You can still receive high contact without the ball. You can only be caught holding the ball if you get it.

well said. It’s as dumb as saying we can play turnover free if we just avoid taking possesion.

We should argue it’s not cheating to punch people in the face and when questioned we’ll go, “couldn’t punch him in the face if we weren’t good enough to catch him.”

derr he can’t cheat when people tackle him if they aren’t trying to tackle him.

Reckon the solution to the diving and dropping of the knees to draw high tackles is simple.

I term such action, like Thomas and others use, as prior opportunity to dispose of the ball, so ping them for holding the ball. Would stamp it out pretty quick.

So good of you to claim credit for coming up with this idea after only about a half dozen other posters here (and surely others elsewhere) have had the same thought.

l must be in the minority here. l don’t find Thomas weak, nor close to the worst. He is a smart player, able to milk the rules for the benefit of his team. If he wore red and black, people here would be lauding his efforts and quite rightly claiming he is one of best small forwards in the league. Bartlett did the same, and they changed the rules to stop him exploiting the loophole, his coach basically made the same claim after the game. The same will happen here, now that it has been given enough exposure.

Stop all the whinging, there are bigger issues that need to be discussed.

No

l must be in the minority here. l don't find Thomas weak, nor close to the worst. He is a smart player, able to milk the rules for the benefit of his team. If he wore red and black, people here would be lauding his efforts and quite rightly claiming he is one of best small forwards in the league. Bartlett did the same, and they changed the rules to stop him exploiting the loophole, his coach basically made the same claim after the game. The same will happen here, now that it has been given enough exposure.

Agree - he is very experienced and milks the system perfectly. He is also the player opposition fans detest as a result.

l must be in the minority here. l don't find Thomas weak, nor close to the worst. He is a smart player, able to milk the rules for the benefit of his team. If he wore red and black, people here would be lauding his efforts and quite rightly claiming he is one of best small forwards in the league. Bartlett did the same, and they changed the rules to stop him exploiting the loophole, his coach basically made the same claim after the game. The same will happen here, now that it has been given enough exposure.

Agree - he is very experienced and milks the system perfectly. He is also the player opposition fans detest as a result.

I can’t speak for all Essendon supporters but I don’t want this at the club-

And this

And this

I don’t find that particularly ‘smart’ and if he were in the red and black, I’d be embarrassed.

"The spirit of the game to me is (about) the onus being on the tackler to lay a correct tackle."

“As for challenging the tackler in a high-tackle situation, everyone does it. It just so happens that there are some who are better at it than others.”

What an utter ****wit.

That’s disgusting, as were Scott’s comments:

"We don’t want him playing for free kicks as such but we do want him challenging the tackler, and if the tackler doesn’t employ the correct technique and Lindsay is able to draw a high free kick, so be it,” Scott said.

"We’ll continue to get our players to challenge the opposition tacklers.”

So they think it’s not staging, it’s challenging the tackler. Get ■■■■■■.

How can Cloke be actively persecuted by the umpires* but they can’t tell Thomas is cheating?

That’s what ■■■■■■ people off, not Thomas per se. The entire system (players, umpires, rules) should be self-correcting. Maybe not instantly, but this has been obvious for years.

• may not be being persecuted

If thomas played for us he wouldn’t get nearly as many frees as he normally does. FACT

If thomas played for us he wouldn't get nearly as many frees as he normally does. FACT

Completely agree - he is no worse than Monfries or Jetta yet they were both denounced as “stagers”.

I didn’t like they what they were doing because it became an excuse not go for a hard ball or stay on your feet. Thomas is no different but the system seems to have changed around “staging” and/or he wear a different colour jumper…

If thomas played for us he wouldn't get nearly as many frees as he normally does. FACT

Completely agree - he is no worse than Monfries or Jetta yet they were both denounced as “stagers”.

I didn’t like they what they were doing because it became an excuse not go for a hard ball or stay on your feet. Thomas is no different but the system seems to have changed around “staging” and/or he wear a different colour jumper…

How can you even put them in the same bracket?

And Jetta did it a couple of times maybe, while Gus just dropped his knees no different to Selwood but not as bad.

Thomas changes the direction of his head to go into the shoulder of opposition players!

It’s always been my opinion that a player should never earn a free unless his opponent has transgressed either through recklessness, carelessness or malice.

And a guy running into you to earn a free kick does not meet that criterion.

Strongly disagree - I am unhappy when Essendon players simulate - Stanton is a perfect example - This is part of Stanton being soft.

Anyway it all comes back to lack of common-sense from umpires It’s not rocket science to judge whether a player ducks - And the tackling rules which cover high and low contact, were done on the basis that player x was in an upright position or similar.

And this

Anyone who says that is staging for a free kick is kidding themselves.

And this

Anyone who says that is staging for a free kick is kidding themselves.

Impressive horizontal leap