Paws, claws, feathers and fins

Just sitting there watching the world go by (probably the birds and bugs)

Watching the Aussies lose and pleased with Victoria’s work.

7 Likes

This is on the red back spider page

Eaten by daddy long legs? Surely not.

1 Like

Given how spiders eat, as long as red back spiders got stuck in their web, it seems entirely plausible.

1 Like

Copperhead snakes eat young tiger and brown snakes.

Meanwhile “outta my tomatoes”

7 Likes

Know people who hate Pittosporums, call them weeds, but our local koala reckons the one on our fence line is “cool”. One of her fav spots when the temperature climbs. Looks fine at present but I popped a shallow bowl of water at the base of the tree just in case.

11 Likes

A fins related post, finally hooked on to a good size land based Snapper not expecting one on the lighter rod. Got it to shore was lifting it out of the water and bam the line snaps and I’ve lost it at the death, wasn’t expecting big stuff so didn’t bring a net and lifting it up like I did was also a nono, shattered since I’m not likely to be able to get fish again for awhile with footy season starting up and Snapper season coming to an end.

Was a good session my mate and I had though got a few banjos and flathead and mate got a very nice King George Whiting.

5 Likes

Where were you flicking today mate? I have been chasing some spots to try get to now im back splitting my time between WA/Vic

Ahh this was yesterday and was of the Mount Martha rocks, wouldn’t go there on a wet or choppy day but certainly some variety there, Best times were fishing from low to high tide

3 Likes

But your best chance of a snapper in close would be straight after a big Westerly blow up…

How big?

Fly choice colour roughly matched the berries and a certain footy strip!

5 Likes

Nice little browny!

Blackberries are one of the best bits of going to a trout stream. The snakes which sometimes lurk amongst them not so much, though.

4 Likes

Actually don’t go super often but it’s been about 4 or 5 shortish sessions since Xmas (only 60 or so mins to water for me). I’d have expected to see a snake or three but haven’t while on a stream this season. Did have a copperhead slide past about 1 m away down in Sth Gippy over Aus day extended weekend, but I think that’s the only snake I’ve seen since last winter - which seems amazing to me. Haven’t even seen them on the road. Maybe I need a vision check up!

PS, evidently you can’t overdose on blackberries. Else I’d be dead. Public Health Warning - make sure you know that blackberry hasn’t been sprayed. There are usually signs up for council jobs, but often not on private land - including that bordering streams. So if the leaves are starting to wither or there’s sticky /glossy coating on them (might be a wetting agent), avoid!

Would have been 45cm+ it would have been my best Snapper for sure, was only my whiting rod so yeah I wasn’t prepared for it at all.

1 Like

Actually, have also been a bit surprised about how few snakes I’ve seen of late.

Straight after the rain in November, went down Werribee River for a walk and saw a heap of juvenile tigers. But since then (at multiple places across Victoria), nothing. Which I’m not complaining about!

2 Likes

Would have made a nice meal! Ah well, that is fishing… would have pulled hard. Funny how the world record whiting turns out to be a barely size pinkie - and I reckon whiting pull pretty hard. Silver Trev’s also are very strong. I rarely lift a fish by the line though.

1 Like

Trevally of all sorts are brutes.

Years ago i went on a fishing trip up in the Admiralty Gulf. Trip of a lifetime. One day we spent handlining for trevally, giant trevally and goldens. Every drop was a 3-5kg fish straight away, with bigger ones among them. You couldn’t use a rod because it was so tight in among the coral that the fish would use the rod flex to get to cover and break you off.

Unbelievable day out, but the line friction shredded me. Cut my hands to meat, I couldn’t use them for days. Still, it could have been worse, one of the other guys hooked into a 3m bronze whaler on HIS handline…

2 Likes

Just a thought

2 Likes

Would have been smart. By the time i realised i needed them there’s wasn’t a fishing gear shop in a thousand miles though, alas…

This made me cry, in a good way.

8 Likes

This well camouflaged critter has claws, so I guess it qualifies.

8 Likes