Paws, claws, feathers and fins

This is pic from August last year of a local koala in better times. “Liz” was taken to a nearby koala shelter about a month ago, suffering from what appeared to be a bout of chlamydia. She didn’t respond to treatment at all and so the carer took her back to the vet yesterday. The Vet did a scan and found a large jagged stone in her bladder (like a diamond) so he immediately operated and removed it. Her wet bottom was not due to chlamydia as suspected but a result of the bladder stone. My understanding is that Vets donate their time to wildlife which is pretty good to know. Fingers crossed she recovers now and they can release her back into her territory.

7 Likes

I had a vet friend who was a legend in his own lifetime for operating on a budgie for a hernia.
At least that’s what he told his kids.

4 Likes

hanging out with Madge again. She’s chosen a very cosy spot :grinning:

12 Likes

annnnd back with Trevor in Toorak :slight_smile:

10 Likes
7 Likes

Sadly, the Japanese artist who brought Milo and Otis to life for us died recently

2 Likes
4 Likes

Baby gorilla and fawn: the sweetness of an unexpected friendship

6 Likes

Wouldn’t you love to snuggle up on the couch on a cold Sat evening watching the Dons with your pet croc (or gator)…

3 Likes

Well, the croc might. It would be stealing your body heat!

On You Tube there is a clip of Mexican guy who rescued and nursed a croc back to health, after it had been shot in the head. This thing is pretty much full grown, and would be close to 4m in length. It exists in a shallow pool beside his house, barely big enough to fit in.

1 Like

What a cold blooded thief !!!

I want a Red Panda…NOW

3 Likes

5 Likes

The latest addition to the Tawny clan that inhabit our backyard peppermint gum. Same nest as last year and we’re pretty sure there’s another one but Dad’s been baking them a bit longer than normal due to the cold spurt. Just checked this thread and see last year’s emerged in October, so maybe a week later. Glad they’re using the nest this side of the fence because the 2 large dogs next door make us nervous if the chicks happen to fall, which occurred a few years ago.
Reckon it’s at least the 6th, maybe 7th, litter.

12 Likes

Make that 2.

13 Likes

Great photos. A beautiful bird!

2 Likes

Turns out there’s actually 3. That’s the youngest on the right. Until today, Dad’s been sitting on him/her 24/7. Considerably smaller and likely to have hatched a bit later. Hope it stays on the nest longer than its siblings.

PS There are 2 other mature Tawnys providing food for the demanding trio.

10 Likes

A few days ago I put some bird feeders in our back yard. Something so small has bought great joy to the household. The family (wife and 6 year old twin girls) are all so excited to see them getting used and seeing more and more familiar faces every day.

Also, but unrelated…had this bloke make his way into the outdoor area recently…musta smelt the weber cooking.

13 Likes

Wow! Very special and beautiful……and so lucky to have such amazing wildlife at your back door.

3 Likes