Peart hangs up the sticks

The greatest drummer alive has called it quits. Is this the end of Rush?

Have to agree there…never came to Aus. :frowning:

no Peart, no Rush.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO …

the U.N. must block this heinous event

A damn shame but no real surprise…I saw a video recently of an interview with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson that was done after their R40 tour. In it they spoke of how the longer the tour went, the more pain that Peart (and Lifeson) felt in their hands from the constant pounding/playing.

One band I really would have loved to have seen live. :frowning:

If they do one more gig I’m there. Dont care where. I just cleared it with the missus.

I’m relieved… Thought this was going to be yet another celebrity death thread.

Geddy Lee said today that Neil’s statement was “taken out of context”… presumably he is not quitting drums, just quitting major touring. Make of that what you will. Neil’s already “quit touring” at least twice before, once around 1989-90 ish and then again when he lost his first family. But those were not physical reasons, which is a whole other animal.

FWIW I could see them doing another record but I don’t think they will ever play live again apart from some one-offs or something. Supposedly they were going to add 20 dates to the R40 tour with some in Europe and South America, but Neil did not want to go through with it.

I think if he’s in pain, he’s got a pretty legit excuse. I’m 25 years younger than he is and I hurt after playing his songs. I also can understand wanting to spend time with his new family, after what happened to his old one.

Good post, I just read the Geddy Lee statement also.

Neil is obviously a complex guy, which is not surprising considering the musical mind he has. What happened with his family, and his reaction to it, I can relate to.
If you havnt yet, watch this, it explains a lot.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/videos-btls.php

Geddy Lee said today that Neil's statement was "taken out of context"..... presumably he is not quitting drums, just quitting major touring. Make of that what you will. Neil's already "quit touring" at least twice before, once around 1989-90 ish and then again when he lost his first family. But those were not physical reasons, which is a whole other animal.

FWIW I could see them doing another record but I don’t think they will ever play live again apart from some one-offs or something. Supposedly they were going to add 20 dates to the R40 tour with some in Europe and South America, but Neil did not want to go through with it.

I think if he’s in pain, he’s got a pretty legit excuse. I’m 25 years younger than he is and I hurt after playing his songs. I also can understand wanting to spend time with his new family, after what happened to his old one.

So what, … he hasn’t heard of Heroin?? Some rock musician… phhfftt!