Pell and other allegations

He’s setting up an upeal.

It’s a bit hard to say the best barrister in the country, fkd up the trial. But if he was emotional and lost it, they might be able to run with it.

You really should be flamed because you can’t even pay enough respect to the victims to get one simple fact right.
Pell was 55 when he raped those young blokes, not in his 60’s. You have twisted his age to suit your narrative that his sex drive was waning.
Surely you, as an Essendon supporter, more than anyone, could understand that.

1 Like

Maybe I am having a seniors moment, but I know nothing at all about the paedofile rings amongst the rich and powerful.

I know a lot about the Catholic Church and some about the victims of its perversity in Ballarat.

My point is that your comment

"It’s challenging to believe the abuses are manifestly worse in the Catholic Church."

diminishes the evil practices that are massively widespread around the Globe through the entire RCC organisation.

Now perhaps there are other groups who do worse things, though I am not sure what could be worse that forcefully buggering little boys and girls. The scope of this activity in the RCC is just astounding.

Viv Waller quoted some figure from the Royal Commission. IIRc 64% of abuse was from religious institutions, of which 60% was Catholic.

Is that 60% of abuse within religious institutions, or 60 of the 64% overall?

If it’s 60 of the overall 64%, that is a truly horrific statistic.

Edit: It’s all horrific, but that totally shows how mind-bendingly bad it has been within the RCC structure.

According to many in the legal fraternity, Richter was the wrong choice for this case from the get-go, due to his inexperience dealing with child sexual assault cases. His appalling remarks later on only confirmed that. Judge Kidd spoke to these comments & made it known that he didn’t consider the crimes at the lower end of the spectrum. Richter has effectively p*ssed off the judge pre-sentencing.

The prosecution picked holes in Richter’s ten improbabilities/impossibilities defence, he failed in cross-examination of the complainant (& called him a liar), was said to be condescending at times, strategically erred by not putting Pell on the stand (and preparing him) to testify, was overly verbose & theatrical (having to be pulled into line by Kidd on several occasions), and didn’t call any new witnesses in the second trial. He also strangely left a vid graphic till closing, which wasn’t allowed due to confusion as to whether he was attempting to introduce new evidence or not.

He fluffed it, PP2. Even the best falter. And to be honest, I’m thrilled that he failed. Fingers crossed that the appeal also falls over, even though it will be led by another barrister.

2 Likes

In the forlorn hopes that you’re not just playing troll games, Ridsdale was found guilty of raping children in the sacristy after mass. On his own admission.

No, he wasn’t an archbishop.
And I don’t believe it was after 1996.
But it was still basically the same situation, sacristy, priest - friend and housemate of Pell no less, underaged boy.

EDIT: And Claffey, another one under the Ballarat diocese, was found guilty of an abuse whilst in his vestments.

No doubt these were all cited in court by the prosecution.

1 Like

Also

FB_IMG_1551225255227

5 Likes

Pell in a cell. Clever. :wink:

1 Like

It’s also petty ‘pass the buck’, draw attention away strategy, ‘but but but what about other people doing bad things’ bullsh*t…

This idea that Catholics think the Catholic Church is being unfairly targetted pretty much tells us, they have learned nothing, they have no compassion for the atrocities they have caused, and they are trying to find fault elsewhere to justify their inexcusable actions.

It’s time to accept it. It’s time to own it. It’s time cop the punishment square on the chin…
but I guess the church has manipulated their way into such power over the last 1000 years, they still believe they hold superiority over everything and everyone.

2 Likes

bingo

1 Like

…so far

1 Like

How have they avoided scrutiny?
The commission was expanded from the initial terms - just the catholics - to all organisations, and made findings accordingly.

Fact is Victoria had what may actually have been the worst organised pedophilia ring IN THE WORLD operating in Ballarat & surrounds, for decades. Of course it’s going to dominate our discussions here, on what is a largely Vic based site.

1 Like

Treat anyone as a god, and they’re going to start to believe it.

Bacchus: I am curious why Ballarat should be such a stand out.
Newcastle was also a bit of a stand out, involving more than Catholics.It took a Newcastle journalist to expose the Newcastle abuse.

You are correct the rings cover high society and so many people in Government and leaders in the community. They are well looked after by the court system and have so much on each other that in its self is a form of protection.

It was common knowledge of the paedophilia rings from Ballarat to Kyneton to Bendigo triangle area in the eighties. Also we are not just speaking of the Catholic Church, all religions were involved. Where are they, anywhere and everywhere there are lots of children is where you will find rock spiders.

1 Like

I didn’t really have a point. Just shining a light on the absurdity of the back-and-forth those two were having.

“Pedophilia is bad.”
“Have you considered that pedophilia is also bad?”

I mean really

3 Likes

lol you are awful

No way is the Catholic Church equal to other orgs such as the scouts.

If a scout leader was a pedo.

He wouldn’t keep his job/role

He wouldn’t escape charges

There wouldn’t be implied pressure to not go against the scouts in the same way as the church.

The Catholic Church was the perfect storm of power and standing in the community to harbour these creeps for such a long time,

1 Like