Peter Greste, Journalist. On the philosophy of Journalism

Peter Greste is indeed unfortunate to have been in gaol in Egypt for 12 months, but more important, he is lucky to be alive. I personally have experienced some of the extreme behaviours of the current Egyptian Government police during business transactions, and I was not impressed.
I hope he is released soon.

Greste has received a Walkley award this year and maybe this quote needs to be heeded by several of the newpapers who are covering the AFL. If they want to get more Walkley Awards, they have to lift their game to the level of Peter Greste who says:

"…We should never forget that journalism is not a science. It is a human craft as vulnerable to biases and inaccuracies and flaws as any other. And, at its worst, it can be quite destructive. But the reason we still buy newspapers, listen to the radio or switch on the evenings TV news bulletin is to find context and understanding; a sense of perspective.

The best journalism puts a frame around an issue. It helps define it, clarifies it, makes sense of it. And, above all, it challenges authority…"

To achieve this, the MSM need to stop acting like an extension of the AFL Ministry of Public Enlightenment & Propaganda and challenge them when justified, just like Peter Greste suggests.

Screw Egypt.

l can see how many who have misrepresented the FASADA saga would claim they are doing everything in the third sentence in bold print. l can’t help but agree that they have helped frame the issue (and our coach), and they have certainly defined the saga. That is where they come to a complete, utter and screeching halt. They have clarified nothing, they have made sense of even less and the last time they challenged authority was so long ago, even l can’t remember it.

Sorry to be negative, but journalists get what they deserve. They may start off being highly principled fighters for justice and freedom, but they soon become whores to getting their story printed and to win an award. Rather my kids be parking officers than journalist!

And that includes the journos on this site, who think they are better than the rest of us. Yep, you know who you are !!

The strange thing for me is the apparent credibility anyone acquires once they are deemed to be ‘journalists’. Just because they have passed their final exams they suddenly become experts, whether it be politics or sport or anything they write about. Absolutely ludicrous. My observation is that the majority of them simply peddle the party line. They are rightly near the bottom of the respect totem pole, down there with car sales people and those rats that call and try to convince you they need access to your computer to ‘fix’ it.

Quoted Post

Sorry to be negative, but journalists get what they deserve. They may start off being highly principled fighters for justice and freedom, but they soon become whores to getting their story printed and to win an award. Rather my kids be parking officers than journalist!

And that includes the journos on this site, who think they are better than the rest of us. Yep, you know who you are !!

Much like a lot of politicians, unfortunately.