Photos you‘ve taken

Like your work, Deck.

1 Like

1 Like

Yours Wob?

Farking canola! I hate the smell of that stuff.

1 Like

Yeah that’s my bike mate

1 Like

Here is some more random iphoneography

10 Likes

6 Likes

That’s the life, man.

2 Likes

You are Max Rockatansky !

Snapped this pic of the Great Torii Gate in Hiroshima Bay in 2016.

13 Likes

Miyajima. I will be there in 7 weeks time.

2 Likes

On the way to the shrine, you will pass an outdoor oyster stall (called kakigoya in Japanese). A guy will be grilling them. They are magnif.

2 Likes

I can’t wait! There is a place not too far away that is doing all you can eat oysters for 4000 yen.

I’m spending two nights on the island too. Love that place.

1 Like

Deckham and Saladin’s chat about people on the street reminded me of this photo I took from a pedestrian bridge in Osaka years ago:

As I was leaving, a girl came up and went off at me, asking me why I’d taken a photo of her, I had to delete it etc. I politely said I’d show her the photo and if she could identify herself in it I’d delete it. She couldn’t but resumed going nuts, questioning why I wanted the photo, telling me I was breaking the law. This went on for like ten minutes, with me refusing to delete the photo she didn’t appear to be in.
Eventually I just turned and walked away through the crowd, but she kept following me, pestering. She was blocking me saying she’d call the police. “Good idea!” I said. “Let’s go tell them that you’re harassing me.”
I walked her up to a police box and opened the door, motioning for her to follow. She gave up and disappeared. After that, I got pretty hesitant about trying candid street shots.

8 Likes

A few others from the same period I found while hunting for the above one. I haven’t posted stuff in here for so long, I hope I haven’t posted them before:

8 Likes

You are not Steve smith

2 Likes

If i’m not wrong, you do need permission in Japan for any video or photo of anyone in public.

It would depend on use I assume. She asked me what the photo was for and I told her nothing, I was just taking snaps for myself. It didn’t placate her.

Your photo seems fine.

Photographing people in the streets is a sensitive topic in Japan. Generally, it’s OK to take photographs of a large crowd. There are some excellent vantage points around Shibuya Station where you can capture a bird’s-eye-view of the legendary Scramble Crossing. However, avoid taking photos where individuals are recognizable unless you have their permission.

This isn’t just etiquette, it’s Japanese law. If someone complains about your snapping, your behavior could end up landing you in a police station. Please note that street fashion shots are also included in this policy. Yes, some photographers complain and say they would rather sneak photos because people look more “natural” that way. Despite their protest though, Japanese law continues to protect the rights of an individual over the right to turn them into your “art.”

2 Likes

The crabapple’s out and about.

2 Likes