Photos you‘ve taken

Is that hand printed or digital?

Looks cute. Would like to shoot film again but can’t afford it. Market for underwater photography is a lot smaller, so hard to justify that expense.

Correction- I did have a massive light source.
The sun!

2 Likes

Yeah. If you’re shooting monochrome film and developing at home as a hobby it’s probably not too bad . But it’s certainly not cheap anymore if you need a lab.

I’m running a roll through each of my old film cameras just for fun, but after that they’ll probably just sit on the shelf. Unless I have a specific task, because I do think film still has a unique look.

I just got the scans back for a roll of cheap Kodak Colorplus that I ran through a 1959 Ambisilette rangefinder. $20 for development, scans and a replacement film. So about $12 for the develop/scan. Some of the look is probably due to the old lenses too, though most of these were shot at small apertures because max shutter speed is only 1/500. But The bench seat and log was shot wide open f/4 on a 90mm lens, and I think the background has a distinctive rendering to it.

4 Likes

10 Likes

The Wurundjeri and the Dja Dja Wurrung people used to hold ceremonies here.

Am I right in understanding that those shots were taken with a film camera? The clarity and colour are outstanding. I love the first one: is it Elizabeth Street at the GPO?

Correct mate. Taken on film and scanned by the lab to a jpeg file.

Yes, that’s Elizabeth St looking south towards Flinders.

There was a doco shown at the French Film Festival about 3 years ago about a photographer who had made his name as a photojournalist at hot spots all over the world. When he got too old for that he bought a van and spent his time driving around France photographing old village shops etc with old advertising signs, cracked windows, peeling paint and so on. He used one of those old full frame cameras where you have to change the plate for each shot and developed them all himself. He used mostly colour film. The detail and complexity of his photographs was absolutely stunning. Digital has huge advantages in many ways but there’s a quality about film that it doesn’t quite capture.

8 Likes

3 Likes

Melbourne sky for a few minutes last night.

11 Likes

Yeah, nice. A quick phone pic from my balcony last night. Uplifting view.

7 Likes

Can hear Ozzy singing “Fire in the Sky”. Incredible photo.

@Koala dancing in window in Spain

5 Likes

Re-found on an ‘old’ USB stick, lol.

From 2015 I think.

4 Likes

3 Likes

7 Likes

I did a dive a few days ago and almost killed myself diving at Pura Dalem PED Nusa Penida Bali. Got caught several times in a washing machine current down at 30 meters with my air rapidly running out. At the same time I was being violently ragged dolled by mother nature’s might forces my reel & marker buoy got caught around a stag horn coral. I tried in vain to fin back towards the reel in the hope I could retrieve it & the rope got longer and longer and longer.

But I was still attached and had to take drastic action to cut myself free or die. Working through the problem I found away to seperate the line from my bcd. In that moment I broke away leaving a trail of carnage, broken coral, shattered dreams - my face dragged along the top of a sharp stag horn coral that ripped open my head. After cutting my self off the rope, fatigued, worried, lonely and desperate to survive I made it back to my “buddies.” Together we tried to ascent to 5 meters and do a “safety stop”

That’s when things got interesting as we cling to each other the currents suddenly pushed us up to 2 meters and then almost as quickly blew us back down to 10 meters, my dive computers alarm was going crazy and I could feel the pressure in my head like it was in a vice.

I changed my position in the chain to go to the outside & disengaged then so I was holding them rather than being held.
I was then able to pull them down, dump air from my bcd and was prepared to push and pull them to save all of there lives.

We all survived. On the surface we drifted a few hundred meters in a few mins as we waited huddled together as the boat arrived. No one said a thing.

I decided to cancel the rest of the diving for the day and only did one more dive.
My camera housing flooded twice in those two days. My war horse Nikon D800 managed to survive, so did my lens.

I survived and I can honestly say I have given almost everything I have to my art and passion. Die another day.

I’m going to be selling my photos to raise money for marine conservation organisations including:
Marine conservation Phillipines
Sea Shepard & ACMS

Sat 8th June was world oceans day.
If you would like to buy an image please contact me. The buyer will receive a Raw or JPEG image not a physical photo & the purchase price will be donated to one of these organisations & this donation can be made out in the buyers name for tax deductions if they want.

Cheers.

13 Likes

Did you dive off Amed ?