Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

When you consider where Tippa and Raz came from,if our sights are set on a small forward,we have as good a chance as any at 34.

Ned McHenry might well be available at our pick. Makes some stuff ups in the below but obviously involved in the game and gets inside the opposition’s heads.

1 Like

Should we try and get a deal to get into the first round either this year or next year?

Option 1
Trade this year’s 2nd round pick and (one of) next year’s second round pick, for first round pick this year. If our list is in that premiership window, better to bring in talent now, depending on the strength of draft.

Option 2
Trade this year’s 2nd round pick and (one of) next year’s second round pick, for first round pick next year. This will mean that we will have a first and a second round pick next year, and will be in a position to trade for players like Martin or back to normality going into next year’s draft. (Though our firsr pick this year will then be in the 60s).

We need to find a club who is looking for points for F/S or academy.

Either way, we’re not going to get far into round 1, if at all. This yea’rs pick is worth 542 points. Anyone trading for one of those second picks for next year, whether it’s ours or the GWS one will say it’s likely to be in the last 4 picks of the round, so around 34 again and therefore 542 points.

The closest pick is pick 16 at 1067 points. I honestly don’t see a club trading for that. I reckon absolute best we could hope for is 18 if we’re lucky of the first pick next year of a team likely to finish top 4 (eg. Richmond( and then hope they fall.

I’d prefer to just keep the picks we’ve got and go to the draft and then see what happens next year.

If we have a big year next year, there could be one or two good players who are struggling to get a game and will leave and will net us a good draft position.

2 Likes

Pick 34 - What’s on offer - a recent history.

Thought it might be useful to check recent drafts for the sort of players who might be available at 34.

I’ve deleted a bunch of names (mostly duds) to save wading through columns of useless data, and focus on the positives - it is possible to do well from a draft pick here. I’ve kept some names out of interest (eg Green & Jerrett)
I was just going to do players chosen between Pick 30 & 40.
But Picks 40 to 50 were almost as numerous in terms of good / reasonable players so I’ve gone Pick 30 to 50.

Couple of general observations;

• there are good years & bad years
  • some clubs seem to do much better in this range than others
  • there are a few real gems, but you’ve got to be good / lucky

30 Jake Batchelor Richmond
32 Josh Green Brisbane Lions
33 Jeremy Howe Melbourne
37 George Horlin-Smith Geelong
40 Luke Parker Sydney
41 Tom Liberatore (F/S) Western Bulldogs
45 Alex Fasolo Collingwood

30 Elliot Yeo Brisbane Lions
31 Jackson Merrett Essendon
33 Bradley Hill Hawthorn
37 Jack Newnes St Kilda
41 Mitchell Grigg Adelaide
44 Sam Rowe Carlton
45 Brendon Ah Chee Port Adelaide
48 Jordan Murdoch Geelong

31 Kamdyn McIntosh Richmond
37 Ben Jacobs North Melbourne
41 Mason Wood North Melbourne
46 Tim Membrey Sydney
49 Lachie Hunter Western Bulldogs

30 Trent Dumont North Melbourne
32 George Hewett Sydney
33 Tom Cutler Brisbane Lions
35 Toby Nankervis Sydney
37 Alex Pearce Fremantle
41 Jake Kolodjashnij Geelong
43 Tom Barrass West Coast
44 Aliir Aliir Sydney
46 Riley Knight Adelaide
47 Ben Brown North Melbourne

30 Brayden Maynard Collingwood
31 Daniel Howe Hawthorn
33 Connor Menadue Richmond
34 Connor Blakely Fremantle
41 Jack Lonie St Kilda
42 Billy Stretch Melbourne
43 Mitch McGovern Adelaide
45 Bailey Dale Western Bulldogs

30 Mason Redman Essendon
31 Ryan Clarke North Melbourne
32 Brayden Sier Collingwood
35 Marcus Adams Western Bulldogs
36 Tom Cole West Coast
37 Riley Bonner Port Adelaide
38 Harley Balic Fremantle
39 Rhys Mathieson Brisbane Lions
43 Corey Wagner North Melbourne
44 Blake Hardwick Hawthorn
48 Bailey Williams Western Bulldogs
50 Oleg Markov Richmond

31 Josh Begley Essendon
39 Josh Battle St Kilda
40 Tom Stewart Geelong
42 Kobe Mutch Essendon
43 Esava Ratugolea Geelong
44 Myles Poholke Adelaide
46 Mitch Hannan Melbourne

Have fun nominating which of these we want - there are more key position / rucks than I expected for sure.

6 Likes

From cal twomy

Pick 34 : The Bombers addressed their need for a contested ball-winner by winning the race for Dylan Shiel, but they could still do with more depth in that area. Ely Smith would be a good choice at their pick. He’s big (188cm), strong and powerful, and showed his explosive streak at the NAB AFL Draft Combine. A ball-winner with size.

Around the mark : Luke Valente, Xavier O’Halloran, Ned McHenry

7 Likes

I very much doubt he will but if Xavier ohallaran last to pick 34 it would be a big steal

Charlie Constable slid to pick 36 I believe he will be big in the next 2 years. Touted a top 15 pick in the draft and went late.

Needs to develop a tank.

Yep. Why select the 20th best midfielder at 34, when you can select the 2nd or 3rd best small fwd or ruck.

‘34’ is just a number indicating a rating range. Give or take 10 spots of opinion, your statement makes very little sense to me.

1 Like

Zach Merrett was close to the 20th best mid in his draft. And Lobb wouldve been the 2nd best ruckman.

2 Likes

I would argue Merret was the best half fwd available. He did play predominantly half fwd in his junior year.

1 Like

Alternatively if all the players we targetted at 34 are gone by 30… instead of ‘reach’ for a player at 34, we could trade down for say two picks in the 40s. This way getting a player who we don’t think would be available at 64.

And some pace

And not be a pure midfielder in a team which boasts: Selwood, Dangerfields, Ablett, Duncan, Menegola and Kelly

Anyway who follows U-18s know much about Xavier O’Halloran? Cal reckons he could be around pick 34. Tested really well for speed, agility and endurance at the combine. Just thought I’d see if anyway had more to say about his playing style/ability

If he’s there we have to take him imo,he won’t be especially after testing.

Local st Bernard’s boy.

That’s not how the draft works

At what stage do we look at a tall KPF?
We have Smack, Brown and, at a pinch, Hooker to work around Joey. All 3 are sneaking up in age.
They usually take a few years to develop.
Any likely types around our picks?
Edit…and Stewart who could still go either way but I am a believer. Just not sure he is no 1 or no 2 KPF. More a mobile 3rd tall.