Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

The link below is for an interesting podcast by Ted Richards. Its a finance and investing podcast but in this one there isn’t much about investing. Rather its about data analytics and their use in AFL and recruiting in particular.

6 Likes

Yes that’s right but if Sydney have to use their two picks in the 20s and the dogs their pick in the 20s and early 30s for Blakey and west respectively won’t our pick go up?

2 Likes

You’re correct…Sydney will surely need two picks before us for Blakey…Bulldogs, hmmm, may get away with just 27 for West, it will all come down to how early he is bid on.

2 Likes

Big news. I assume that we’ve been in conversations with him and think another year at TAC Cup level best serves his long term development. (and our draft plans)

Hopefully he gets fit, and by the second half of next year is flying.

5 Likes

Interesting move. They must feel he has still got a lot of development to go and will still be able to gained cheaply next year.

Considering back stress fractures he is likely to have to be managed carefully next year anyway.

That’s a very interesting move.

I do hope it pays off for all concerned.

Would be pretty embarrassing for him to nominate and not be picked up.

Anyway, just because I love a YT vid…

Someone elsewhere in this thread suggested Sydney Stack

3 Likes

So apart from looking like his Dad, is he actually any good?

I’ve yet to hear/read any underage footy watchers, recruiters or scouts talk him up.

I’ve talked him up :stuck_out_tongue: not a star at the moment but he is very light and still developing, he is a good mark and reads the play pretty well. His short kicking is his best strength for a player of his height

4 Likes

I think that was probably me.

I’ll be shattered if we leave him on the table. WA clubs have a few picks before us,if memory serves, which could be an issue.

Of all the players that are a genuine chance of being available at our first, I’d only pick Williams before him and I doubt Williams will be at our pick.

2 Likes

Has a go and gets in and under but playing Devil’s advocate on a limited sampling looks small to do the contested stuff at a higher level and the kicking appears to lack penetration.

And I’m not sure another short mid is what we need.

Berry and Lloyd aren’t short!

Yeah.
I’m biased.

If we go one off these type of guys I’d like him to be a small, quick, slippery, small forward

Can’t remember which champs game it was but he laid an awesome bump in one game, certainly can make you earn it despite his light size.

1 Like

Hey @THE_DON1, rolling through a few clips this arvo (yes I should have been doing assignments), and I took a bit of a liking to Tom Lewis for what appeared to be a ferocious attack on the ball, and some slick hands in close. But a quick scan of “rankings” had him as a late draft selection. Is the problem just he’s a bit small for the role he plays (start of season 179cm, has he grown?) at AFL level? If he was taller/bigger he looked a classic “Myers role” type?

1 Like

He was one I had top 30 at the start of the year but dropped to the 40s once the combine invites went out and he only got a state invite.

Not many under 18 players go top 50 outside of the national combine which would be why many dropped him lower. He doesn’t test well for speed and he is rather small which also doesn’t help, I still like him since he reminds me a bit of Jack Viney. I don’t expect him to be taken top 50 but he could end up a steal through effort alone.

2 Likes

That highlight package of Stack shows him trying to play a type of physical game involving fend-offs and breaking tackles that his size just didnt allow. Cant see how it translates to AFL when it waant working at u18 level. Got his hands on the ball which is good, but he’ll have to learn to give it off instead of taking the tackler on if he’s going to excell at AFL. That said, he is dynamic in his movement and I would have him as a hf/wing if he os available to us. With his speed of movement he looks very promising.

2 Likes