Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

No worse than Bytel and like Bytel he can hit targets but can spray the odd couple a game, that’s mostly from trying to take the game on and pull of riskier kicks instead of playing it safe

Ely Smith also isn’t a ‘great’ kick, just solid

Think I saw a few good kicks there :wink:

1 Like

Shouldnt be a surprise at that stage of the draft,that a step down in skill exists with the midfielders.

Td1 can you rank the four players I mentioned in order of your preference?

Bytel is dual sided… And takes risks. Looks technically ok.
Rowbottom is poor technically. Agricultural on his preferred
Smith, well it doesn’t really matter if he’s getting first hands. Love his hands in traffic. Foot skills are Cunnington like, but he’s not there to be the cream on top… he’s the cake.

5 Likes

So it’s OK if a contested mid can’t kick… but terrible if a contested mid can’t kick.
Cooool.

From the vision I’ve seen of Rowbottom, Eli smith and Bytel, they all look significantly better kicks than Dylan clarke. But not overly impressed with any of them. They all look like they’re going to be similar level players to Mutch/Mynott/Clarke - just a year or two behind.
Ie a long, long way off getting a senior game.

We’re picking in the mid 30s. You don’t get guaranteed high quality ready to go best 22 players there.

3 Likes

Hmmm from the clips of him I think Smith has something that the other two don’t and that is a reasonable burst of speed and the ability to use it around stoppages, coulped with a big frame. Will that translate to AFL? I don’t know but it does set him apart from the other two who seem to be (at this stage) your standard inside plodders.

1 Like

Of course.

To me, where we’re picking is even more reason not to get someone who’s going to be a fair way back in the queue. If we have a choice.

And - to me - inside mid is a very long queue right now. (And only Myers is going to be leaving that queue in the next 3-4 years)

So who do you prefer at that pick?

Not knowing much, if he’s big and quick and wins clearances… how on earth is he still there in the 30s?

2 Likes

Pace and skill. A small forward or outside mid.

I don’t know enough to really proffer a worthwhile opinion on who best fits that.

1 Like

Oh absolutely. Perhaps as an inside player he that isn’t “great” at winning clearances? Or maybe his kicking is Clarke-like? It maybe a combination of flaws. Just from watching various videos of them his pace (which isn’t Dusty or Danger like but looks better than average and he looks to know how to use it) sets him apart.

@THE_DON1
Is bidding on Mosquito at 34 way too early?
I have complimentary aims of ■■■■■■■ hawthorns ■■■■ up, and having a Mosquito bomber in the hanger.
Also, any chance at all B Williams still avail at our first pick? Would it be weird if we went with a range-only policy this year?

1 Like

Maybe a little early but I wouldn’t be against a bid, they will match anyway

Williams is a big chance, didn’t get a draft night invite so not considered in the first 20 picks

1 Like

O’Halloran
Smith
Rowbottom
Bytel

Last 3 I have pretty close together and wouldn’t complain if we took either player, O’Halloran with his burst of speed and leadership qualities are what attract me most about him and from what I understand is a big chance to slip to our pick

4 Likes

Ed McHenry suits your list of criteria quite well.

Or they’re all really only just OK at those things - look good against the rest of the 30+ picks, but won’t stack up in AFL.

Who knows?

Not another draftee with leadership qualities!! I like O’Halloran, but in so many ways he’s like Duggan. Solid, good skills and athleticism, leadership but nothing that fundamentally changes your club. Think we’ve got to take a risk here and not just draft another B grader. Smith exits stopppages with a bit explosiveness and love his movement in traffic as well as hands. Any love for Mckenzie?

4 Likes

I don’t share the same opinion on him only being B grade but we will see in time

McKenzie I feel is best suited as a back flanker, he hasn’t convinced me as contested enough for the midfield and despite how he tests he looks slow on the field, would consider with our 2nd pick but not first