Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

Didn’t he commentate on the VFA with Phil Gibbs?

1 Like

What I’ve seen of Smith - very limited - is that his handball is potentially a real weapon.
Seems to have the cleanliness, the vision, and the range of handballs to add to a midfield.
This puts him a bit above Clarke, Mynott, and other mid level draftees up this year - they can get / wrestle for the contested ball but aren’t spectacular if they win it.

If he tested above expectations he can get to contests, and is fast enough to keep up.
Not a bad choice.

2 Likes

I would say Mynott’s best weapon is his hands. Ditto for Parish.

1 Like

Haven’t seen Mynott at anything like the Parish level for quick hands - too many little bread and butter short gives, and rushed kicks forward.
This may improve if he builds some more weight, but there was a reason why one was Pick 5 and one a very very late choice.
Smith seems to be able to open up play with handball long, or in unexpected directions

Shared this way back in the post:

Thomas Berry (VIC)
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 184cm, 74kg
Profile: Contested ball-winning midfielder with explosive pace who is hitting the scoreboard, kicking five goals from his first three matches. Drops slightly as others emerge.

Luke Valente (SA)
Height, Weight: 186cm, 80kg
Profile: Prolific ball-winning midfielder with clean skills. South Australian captain and MVP during the Under-18 Championships.

Ely Smith (VIC)
Height, Weight: 188cm, 86kg
Profile: Prolific inside extractor who wins first possession and dishes out by hand. Strong tackler and a surprise Draft Combine star.

Sydney Stack (WA)
Height, Weight: 177cm, 72kg
Profile: One of this draft’s most exciting and impactful players. A prolific ball-winner and tackler who hits the ball at speed and accelerates away.

James Rowbottom (VIC)
Height, Weight: 185cm, 78kg
Profile: Proficient stoppage player. Strong tackler who wins his own ball and has a burst of speed.

Tom Sparrow (SA)
Height, Weight: 182cm, 81kg
Profile: Explosive, aggressive ball-winning midfielder. As courageous and relentless an attacker on the ball as any in the draft.

Jack Bytel - Calder Cannons
Midfielder. 188 cm 79 kg

Boyd Woodcock
Height, Weight: 180cm, 71kg
Inside/Outside Mid/ Half Forward Profile: A standout for North Adelaide during the SANFL League finals, kicking eight goals during the finals including three in the Grand Final. Woodcock is equally capable as a midfielder.

Sam Sturt

Height, Weight – 188cm, 78g Medium Forward,

Jacob Koschitzke Height, Weight: 196cm, 94kg

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/jacob-koschitzke/

1 Like

i cannot seem to watch a kids draft highlights video without tuning out after like 30 seconds

1 Like

That’s likely because you’ve reached the point of realisation, that it is all pretty much pointless looking at and talking about 100 blokes we won’t get with our 3 picks, … and your subconscious is telling you, you have way better things you could be doing with your limited time.

You’re just maturing Grasshopper, … :wink:

3 Likes

I want Stack at 34!

I never said Mynott’s hands were as good as Parish’s, I said they were his best assett. And they are, it’s not all about speed. He’s still a young kid, there’s still a lot of work to do, but you just have to look at his timing to see how good his hands are. And very few in the comp have hands the equal of Parish. Another couple of years and he should be one of the prime inside mids thanks to those hands.

3 Likes

Hay?

1 Like

That’s completely the wrong attitude. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean I’m particularly invested in about 100 players. And then have about 10 that I think are completely overrated for no real reason.

If I could have any player in this draft pool I reckon it might be Blakey. Looks seriously good.

Well, given Bailey would be at least four years away:

So actually pretty critical we get one soonish.

Half those guys were traded in ready to go. No reason we can’t keep doing that.

Sure, we could. Of course, those guys traded in are predominantly journey men at best. If you want something better, you usually have to draft it.

Speaking of Sparrow, what ever happened to @Capt_Jack_Sparrow ?

I guess the philosophical question is whether you’re better spending up on quality mids and getting journeyman talls, or whether you should spend up on quality talls, at a higher risk and at the expense of quality amongst your midfield group?

Barnaby threatened to kill his dogs

2 Likes

Except the list has plenty of quality mids under 26.

1 Like

Knightmare’s dropped Berry from 15 to 58 (Brisbane’s pick).