Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

I too can’t wait for a big bodied midfield that can’t kick.

End of first round, start of second basically the same. Hard to draw a line between early and mid second on a year to year basis, and mid to late second aren’t that different. By the time you’re at the end of the second, that’s more or less the third, and really from the late third on is a crap shoot, so in the end is there any difference between the first round and the rookie draft?

3 Likes

with dodoro?

hell no.

By the time you factor in the guys the Giants had via preselection Kavanagh was essentially a 2nd round pick. Laverde was taken at pick 20 from memory. And you can’t exactly blame anyone for forgetting about Ashby.

2 Likes

interestingly accoding to https://www.draftguru.com.au/analysis/pick-value-comparison/medians

you’re about 50% to get a 50 gamer, 30% to get a 100 gamer on any one pick for both 21-30 and 31-50

But you’re 11% to get an All Aus with your pick 31-50, but only 6% with your pick 21-30.

Guessing that what has been suggested to be a Dodoro phenomenon (to miss out with 2nd round selections), may be league wide.

2 Likes

Agreed

Interesting article up where even the top 10’s often have dropped away quality wise let alone 20-40

Kavanaugh was pick 19 - after the GWS priorities.
18 choices in Round 1.
Round two starts at 19.
Laverde was second round also.

Apologies for forgetting Ashby, but check your facts a bit before nit picking - my excuse is I was distracted by the ■■■■■■■ swear filter & trying to correct auto corrects.

there are many people i’d argue draft particulars with, the gadget type operator that is @splitround is not one of them.

1 Like

Schloithe must be the Anthony Miles/Craig Bird style of “big bodied”, ie actually on the smallish side - 182/85kg

1 Like

Name: Haiden Schloithe
Position : Midfielder
Club: South Fremantle
DOB: 16/6/1993
Height: 184cm
Weight: 86kg
Draft range: 40-60\

exceeding expectations already.

1 Like

A round of draft picks for 18 clubs isn’t 18 picks. Rookie mistake.

Was 30 picks in Kav’s year…

2 Likes

Freo listed him at 182/82; South Freo at 182/85… he grew 2cm this year as a 25yo?? :smiley:

You can’t trust a west australian with a piece of bread and a sausage. How can you trust them with a tape measure?

3 Likes

It seems they always let the bread go stale, so who knows what they’d do to a tape measure.

1 Like

Sorry,off topic.
Anyone know when trsining starts tomorrow please?
Dad coming from nunawading and thinks its 9am.
Thx

Fair point. Still, given Dell’s mate didn’t even get an invite to the WA screening, much less a real one, he’s not getting picked.

I have a very good feeling disco is going to draft someone no one has seriously considered and turns
out to be a gun in our best 22

Just like Ooooooooooooooorazio

Get excited

2 Likes

The reality is that it’s not a deep draft. I like Luksious, Walsh, Rankine and Rozee and maybe a Max King. Everyone else is a bit meh. Lol

Notwithstanding which, I’m getting closer to settling on some selections.

At 34, I’m going best available, albeit I think there is a correlation with needs if the cards fall right. My thoughts in order of who I think might be available…

Ely Smith is the man if he drifts. I’ve got a feeling he goes earlier. Love his inside work, has a skillset and brutality we lack at the coal face plus has good hands.

Bailey Williams if he drifts, becomes the Mckernan replacement as a ruck forward. Athletic leap, gets involved on the ground and can take a grab. Great upside to be a good footballer.

Tom Mckenzie - Likely to drift. Tested quick plays slow (good observation TD1), one that I’d also had since watching him closely at Nationals. Genuinely Dual sided, beautiful hands and great awareness… Strikes me as a guy who wil thrive at the next level. Not yet fully cut body wise, but has a frame for development. TAC solid inside mid who had some great games and then couldn’t translate at nationals. Played great as a back flanker. I like him on a wing. Has awareness, and courage Runnimg back with the football and plays quick with ball in hand as opposed to on the hunt. I think he could be anything. Next level rotates between half back and midfield. Looks like a guy who will play a lot of football. Can also lock down and go the other way. Something about him. Firming as my favourite.

Guys who were unlucky, but who I’d consider later in the draft.

Bytel is probably a little too slow, and not good enough to compensate for that. I’m concerned about his back as well.

Too many question marks on Stack, endurance, kicking, relocation to Melbourne. Also is he crumber at the next level?

Rowbottom can’t kick and isn’t good enough on the stoppage or on the spread to compensate for mine. Reminds me of David Spriggs.

6 Likes

The rounds of the draft aren’t defined by pick numbers. The first round has included pick 19 every year from 2010 onwards (and will again this year), and pick 20 from 2010-2016 (and will again this year). Laverde was very specifically assigned to us as the last pick in round 1 after the saga penalties were handed down. There’s an argument to be made that end of first round compensation picks don’t count as part of round 1, forming some sort of inter-round picks, but they’re definitely not part of round 2. Round 2 starts with the pick assigned to the team that finished last in the home and away season, this year adelaide hold that pick and it’s currently pick 21.

3 Likes

I think the concept of “rounds” isn’t really meaningful anyway.