Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

I’d say they are a chance. As may be Daniel Hanna who is part of our academy.

However we do have limited list spots available just at the moment, so I’d be very surprised if someone didn’t miss out. And in some ways it wouldn’t surprise me if they all missed out. Although you’d think, given the years service from Ken and Dustin, that we could make room out of respect for the genes alone.

Fletcher I think is a guarantee, has a much better chance than Hanna at making it onto our list.

4 Likes

Someone has posted that Fletcher already told we will take him.

Late rookie selection it seems.

1 Like

I’d love us to pick him with our second.

If we’re going to win a premiership in a year or 2, we need to draft a Rioli.

14 Likes

It’ll be funny if Carlton bid on Fletcher with their final pick (whatever it is) and force us to put him on the senior list.

Not as funny as when we don’t match and have him walk to us after a year.

4 Likes

We can get away with it this year I think. But very soon we will need to take some kids or risk unbalancing the list definitely.

1 Like

We may be able to put Hanna on our Rookie B list if no other club drafts him.

Hey Ants,
Do you know how many Cat B rookies each club is allowed? My understanding is Lavender is, and we’re in the running for Jordan Morrissey FOR another Cat B spot.

I’m not sure whether we will take 2 or 3 picks in the draft, it depends on who of the still unsigned players (Dea, Leuenberger, Long, Baguley, Hartley) remain. But I’d be happy with a strategy of taking the best kid available at 34, then with the last 2 maybe look at some more mature WAFL/SANFL types like a Mitch Grigg. I’d be very happy if we got him in after the season he’s had. I could see him having an immediate impact for whatever club he gets drafted to. Is Nick Hind looking more like a rookie draft type or could he possibly go in the National Draft? I’d certainly like to see him on our list either way. Clearly, if we part way with Leuenberger, a ruckman is a must, preferable one that can come in and be AFL ready. Heaven forbid Bellchambers goes down and all we have in the way of ruck reserves are McKernan, Draper and some pinch-hit minutes from Daniher or Stewart…,.,

2 Likes

We had a Rioli. How many Premierships did we win whilst he was at the club?

1…

3 Likes

We should try to trade pick 34 and our future round 2 & 4 to get into the first round if we can.

3 cat B

1 Like

What would Pick 34 + the GWS 2019 2nd Rounder from the Shiel trade be worth in this draft? Would it get us up to about Pick 18-20?

Try to aim for Richmond’s pick 17 if we can

Depends if we have a particular player in mind.

It sounds like the draft has brilliant top 6-8 talent but drops away quickly after that. Dodoro seems to do better with later picks anyway (r3 onwards), so perhaps entering the draft later isn’t the worst thing in the world?

It all depends if they are looking at a particular midfielder or Key Position player…best chance of landing them would be around that pick…might even have one player who nobody thought would slip to that pick make it to pick 17.

It’s probably as important to get a 1st rd pick so we can trade next years if we need to next trade period than it is to have a particular player in mind.
Would also seem impossible to bring in Hind now, if Fletcher is to take our only Rookie slot.