Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

Great question.

Smith is better (particularly at coalface) through 4 things. Explosiveness through the stoppage, more creative hands, and kamikaze frenzied attack on the ball. Whilst not an elite kick is much stronger than Clarke and more penetrating than Mutch, although Mutch is genuine dual sided which Smith isn’t. Athletic profile - agility, and leap of Smith are also standout traits although both Clarke (in particular), and Mutch (endurance bias and a lot less explosive) aren’t slouches. Football iq probably Clarke wins, and he’s the best leader.

Bytel, less clear cut this year with injury in particular. Athletic profile inferior to Clarke and Mutch. Previously was better in traffic, had time and could create space, decision making elite, midfield craft better. Better kick than both, although less effective this year. Hands on par.

5 Likes

Yeah same his finals performances put him up a few notches

I worry about Taylor’s kicking and decision making but like his speed, Richards the same but I think Richards has a few extra tools being able to play more roles and is better at the contest.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. I’m certainly hopeful Smith is still at our pick.

Yep bang on re Taylor. Maybe a rookie type. Richards just an enigma. Early season form brilliant. Latter season horrendous at times. Looked at times to be doing to much. His pace and delivery do get you excited when he’s on though. I’d personally consider taking a punt.
McInerney? Similar height as Richards, and potentially with the same weaknesses and strengths.

Only seen McInerney once before school football started, moves well but seemed very outside without many tricks compared to the others mentioned, really only have the 1 game to go off for him.

Someone with good disposal please. If you’re a ■■■■ kick you may as well be playing for the other side.

That’s more than half of every draft class haha Usually the best kick are either slow or don’t get the footy In there hands enough to use it

1 Like

Td1 do you know much about our nga player Kyle baker - Calder cannons.

Think he is draft eligible next year?

Has tricks just soft a bit of a sheepdog unfortunately. Would you take a punt on Richards?

Terrific! Pass… lol.

I’d be shocked I’d he’s availavle personally. Shocked but incredibly happy!

2 Likes

I love this “can reveal” rubbish, like as if it’s been a secret which the afl has now allowed fucxfooty special authority to divulge such knowledge.

2 Likes

So I watched a bunch of “draft machine” videos last night for “back end of the draft” types, and remembered that highlights videos don’t really help me, they all look fantastic. A few caught my eye, bit one I was interested in knowing further about was Berry, given his brother has kicked on nicely, and he’s apparently a really powerful athletic type who had missed the second half of the season.

Is his kicking as bad as they say? In the highlights (obviously) his kicking looks very good.

As an athlete he looks to potentially be that 6-1 explosive mid who can burst from the stoppage. Is the rest of his game such that he could become that player?

As a rookie yes I would

Damn it!
That’s what I was going to say!

1 Like

Was played horribly out of position at the champs, he is a dynamic inside mid/forward. Decision making and skill are his obvious flaws but his aggression and athleticism make him a good prospect regardless. If Jason Castagna can be a regular senior player for a top club with kicking and decision making issues then not sure why Berry couldn’t.

2 Likes

I am a fan of keeping our two second rounders for next year (combine them to trade up)…but…if we have done a lot of study on players this year in the 30-40 range, it could make sense to offer one of our future second rounders to get another pick this year in that 30-40 range.

1 Like

I’ll have my final rankings up tonight, only doing a top 40 as I think it’s a raffle if players past that will actually be drafted

5 Likes

I agree. We don’t have any really obvious needs that we can’t address with this years picks. Definitely keep next years. Might need them for another "big fish’. There’s some serious talent coming out of contract at the end of next season.

I’ve only watched a few highlight vids so take this with a large grain of salt, but I liked the look of X O’Halloran. Very clean and appeared a damaging kick. Would be happy with him but expect he may be gone.