Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

Not sure if srs?

It’s nothing in a nothing bag.

5 Likes

A 24yo Dean Rioli would still be playing I reckon. His qualities are still things of value.

2 Likes

Is he better than Hanna, though?

Was very impressed by him in our game against Geelong in the wet; he matched or even beat Bezerk Thatcher.

But how many tall backs do we need?

1 Like

Nine. Three in the seniors, three in the twos, and an extra three just for a sense of security. That 2014 final left scars that will never heal.

5 Likes

What, so only 6 of the last 7 flags? Really shot a hole through the theory!!

2 Likes

Depends how many of them can also play fwd.

1 Like

The fact that Cyril, Daniel and Willie havewon Premierships within 2 years of being on an AFL list is nothing short of unbelievable. Dean was on our list in 2000 and played a couple of games that season.

Success has followed the Rioli family. We need to invest in it.

Fantastic player and huge talent, but in a time of professionalism, there is no way he would get a game in his condition.

Developing tall forward is a must, 34 or later in draft not sure just get one. Our defense is in an ok positon.

Before injury I had Mason as a top 50 prospect, Mason is a long term player so he would be perfect for the rookie list.

I’m worried about Hanna’s kicking technique and he is more of a zone off defender rather than a stopper and if your a zone of player I think you need to be a good kick of the footy.

6 Likes

That will probably have to wait a couple of years for when we have a 1st round pick agian.

Can’t we pre-select him as a rookie to prevent that from happening? Same as we did with Jake Long?

A kid that tall and agile with an elite kick is hard to ignore imo.

1 Like

Can’t make out the name - what I can make out, and the only interesting thing about this, - the large red bracket that runs from Pick 6 down to Pick 13 or 14.

I reckon this shows the real “ zone of uncertainty “ in this year’s draft - the Clubs not sure who goes when in this draft range.
It’s also where most Phantom drafts annually seem to stuff up. Bolters appear, clubs see very different things / potential.
Although these picks will almost certainly be taken somewhere in that 6-14 range.

The rest is just a list, and the real fun bit starts- Jackets isn’t the only drafter who likes a special beyond Pick 20.
Geelong has a real liking for an early punt too, as does Hawthorn (Isaac Smith).

Only thing I’ll say for sure is that Pick 34 will be announced as “best available”

2 Likes

No, for a couple of reasons. First, that rule has changed. Second, that rule was you could nominate a player as a F/S rookie and you got them as a rookie only if every other team passed on them in the regular draft. If someone had selected Long in the draft, we wouldn’t have been able to do anything about it because we F/S rookie nominated him.

People are absolutely dreaming they think we are getting a first-round pick.

1 Like

Isn’t the rookie draft on the same night/day now, so it probably should be our next pick after last in draft.
IE first rookie pick.
Its pretty unfair if it isn’t

Okay I see. Nonetheless, considering Mason probably won’t play senior footy in the next couple of seasons, Carlton would be extremely silly to nominate him, as they would only be wasting development resources on a guy who would leave after his initial contract ends. In addition they’d be wasting a senior list spot.

We will take Mason, just like we took Jakey Long, nothing surer.

It’s the perfect time for us to take a long-term development KPD, we have 2x AA KPD, 2x potential AA kids, and 2x AFL quality backups.

If we don’t take Hanna, which I don’t think we will, he’ll likely end up at Coburg - family connections may see him at the Bullants.

I’d like to see Neagle and Moussa added to our VFL squad, assuming they don’t get picked up.

1 Like

Ah, I don’t think Sydney had one either, so its 5 of the last 7 with three of those being Cyril.