Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

Do the Hawks have any points left to match a mosquito bid?
[/quote]

Wouldnt they have to dip into their 2020 picks to make up the points?

Kelly was 24ish, Ryan 26, Isaac Smith in the teens, and Ballantine about 23. If we saw someone we thought was as good as them we should pass because they’re not 18?

There’s some @ivan levels of auto-correct going on in that post. :smile:

1 Like

Yikes. Stupid Apple.

1 Like

Hawks have pick 53, which is 233 points or enough to match any bid of 40 to 56 (any bid after 56 is free to match).

Worth noting, if you have to go into debt to match a bid, the debt comes out of your picks in the round the bid came. So if someone puts in a third round bid and you go into debt, those points would come out of your 2020 third round pick. The idea being you don’t get your first round pick downgraded matching low end bids.

3 Likes

I like Pickett. Too many choir boys in our best 22. Out of jail, Tatts, and a hard outside player. Sign him up.

6 Likes

Bugger.
I was just working on a Machiavellian plan to put the Hawks so far into deficit their next 1st round pick becomes late 2nd round.

2 Likes

Matthew Parker is a good player who trained with us last year. Being from South Fremantle he has the Worsfold connection which was obviously the reason he came over. I think he can play and would love to see him drafted as he could push Orazio up the ground or displace Baguley (if you’re going from our 22 selected late last year). He will be a late pick as he didn’t shine in the finals series. Would love to see him given the opportunity.

Marlion Pickett is a gun and would instantly improve us - he is plug and play in the Kelly mould given he is mature age. He glides over the ground, loves to jump on blokes heads but not as much as he loves to hit hard like a namesake of his from yesteryear. Of course there’s word that Gold Coast like him and Peter Bell at Freo will be a big wrap so he might come over the top and send the mandate to get him on the list. I would happily spend pick 34 on him assuming there’s no outrageous slider (I don’t follow the draft super closely so I’d have no idea). I suspect it’ll be similar to a Willie Rioli where he won’t be around at our next pick so we might have to pay up (Willie was picked by WCE a half dozen picks before one of ours from memory). We won’t regret it.

Will maintain that Schloithe is eminently draftable and would add another string to our midfield. He didn’t exactly step up this year above and beyond his Sandover year so I’d suspect he’d be available as a rookie and I would easily take him as a great value pick.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t have much faith in our recruiters taking the punt on guys with question marks off-field. Pickett’s past is well known but by all reports he has come along way; what’s the word over there on Parker’s and Pickett’s off-field professionalism and work ethic.

Stringer is the only one I can think of from recent times and he seems to have slotted in well.

It really depends on what the off field question marks are I guess.

3 Likes

As I’ve said before, Pickett did his thing when he was like 17/18, wasn’t convicted until 20ish and spent like a year behind bars? And has been zero - zero - trouble since then (is 25/6? now). Not a worry. Has a family etc. would be great for him to get a chance.

5 Likes

Would his family/go home factor be a concern, a la Kelly?

His age is a minor concern for me, we probably need some younger guys to avoid a demographic hole in the future. Having said that I’m for going all in over the next few years.

How about Parker what’s the goss?

Eades?

3 Likes

Yep, he counts.

Probably mates with cousins now

Thre was an article recently about Parker. He is very good friends with Kelly and Pickett and looks up to them. Has a youg kid 1 yr old, and wanted to settle down.

If all 3 are in Melbourne next year, better chance they settle and stay. Cats may even recruit one of the two as stable ponies for Kelly (they are good players in their own right)

I wouldn’t be surprised if you are right and the Cats take one or the both of them; they need more firepower up forward and considering they’re going all out whilst they have DangerWoodLett the ready-to-go mature agers will appeal and as you say getting the band together may help retaining all of them.

Or we can draft Pickett and Parker and then convince Kelly to move up the highway

3 Likes

If the man mountain Mumford can make a comeback, I say Dusty Fletcher has to nominate. With the rule changes he can run out of the square and barrel it straight to Joe D. At CHF.
Bring back Fletch!

4 Likes

We need a Jack Higgins type.
An extremely skilled, desperate smart baller but lacks the height to be on everyone’s radars.
If we can land a small forward that is ready to go year 1 it will put the pressure on performance of all fwd positions.

Higgins still went in the first round.