Pick 48

Welcome To Essendon - Disco Special

2 Likes

So Twomey has Constable and Balta falling out of the top 30. We would take either in a heartbeat if they kept sliding but I highly doubt they make it past the 30s

Because we have Francis and Ridley down back. In addition to Hurley, Hartley, Ambrose and Brown. Whereas in the final we had nobody to cover Hooker.

1 Like

I reckon it’s the final, as much as anything that Hooker did throughout the year, that will make the coaches stick with Hooker forward.
I love him forward and am interested to see how he goes second season back.

I don’t see either Francis or Ridley ever being a lockdown key defender, ala Hartley and Ambrose. Francis maybe the Hurley intercept role, Ridley a quarter back/Grant Birchall type(although I think I remember “big midfielder” in the clubs post draft assessment).
Hartley and Ambrose need upgrading, or to improve a lot (again).

1 Like

Interesting a lot of those picks are third round father sons.

Yeah, the old FS rules were very generous.

I was thinking the same thing, Hawkins taken around pick 40 when he was touted as the number 1 pick if he wasn’t a father son.

I haven’t really looked in to the draft since we traded away all our best picks. Had a quick look last week at the players that might be available at our pick. Watched about a minute of Worpel’s highlights and turned them off “yeah that kid can play, we won’t get him”. But it seems he might be available at 48. What am I missing here? What’s the knock?

Kinda defeats the purpose of the article by including the father sons.

6 Likes

Can just bang it on the boot and his disposal numbers for his position aren’t that great. Was told me played a lot of the year injured so that could have affected his running capacity to win more of the ball

Not that interesting, had the modern FS bidding rules been around then, half of those guys go first round.

1 Like

Sloppy journalism at its best.

1 Like

Ridley kept growing. Francis I think could do both, similar to Rance. And I think Ambrose and Hartley are under appreciated. They did pretty well last year when the team was worse.

People thinking Hartley/Ambrose need upgrading are forgetting that Hawthorn won a premiership with Stephen Gilham and Zac Dawson played in three Grand Finals.

3 Likes

Ambrose is no longer pure lockdown… According to Footy Wire the best Intercept players at Essendon in 2017 inside the top 100 in the AFL in order are Hurls(3rd), Marty (19th), Ambrose (60th), Dea(61st), Baggers(75th) and Pops Kelly.(86th) Hartley, McGrath and Baggers played pretty much pure lockdown. Neither Hartley nor McGrath were in the top 100 interceptors in the AFL because of this.

Hartley should have improvement in him, once he backs himself and stops giving away obvious frees, Improvement in Ambrose seems less likely. Ridley is likely to be a similar player to Marty Gleeson, and will be a good interceptor.

Really depends on how you measure “interceptor” though doesn’t it.

The st kilda team circa 2000 disagree with your position on Tim’s knowledge of GAL strategy, tactics and gameplan

1 Like

How was his running capacity at the combine?

The bang it on the boot gets mentioned regularly. What is it based on? Looking at his “involvement” clips I don’t see that in his champs games. I thought that disposal from congestion looked pretty good, and tended to get to a teammates advantage.

Watching similar clips for Davis-Uniackehe looked equally as likely to bang it on the boot. Given he’s generally considered top 3 I figure Worpel’s disposal looks “good enough” for me.

The numbers are more of a worry if it means he can’t get involved outside of the contest and link up etc.

Thanks.

Can anyone predict exactly what time we will be taking our first pick?

sometime between when it starts and when it ends.

2 Likes