Pick 48

But that doesn’t help me ignore the whole thing apart from our pick…

Intercepts are any possession that is won that breaks an opposition chain. The ball can be won as an intercept mark, interception of a handball or winning a ground ball. Because Hartley spoils a lot, he gains 1% stats rather than intercepts like Hurls or intercept marks like Marty Gleeson…

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/localfooty/afl-national-draft-give-cassidy-parish-a-go-says-geelong-falcons-talent-manager-mick-turner/news-story/
GEELONG Falcons best-and-fairest Cassidy Parish will be a “beast of a player” if given an opportunity, according to Falcons talent manager Mick Turner.

Turner likened Parish to a Jobe Watson or Josh Kennedy, a contested-ball bull who can find the footy better that anyone else his age.

Cassidy Parish, Geelong Falcons. Picture: Brian Bartlett.
The 18-year-old produced one of the statistically elite TAC Cup seasons, amassing the most contested possessions, most loose ball gets, second most disposals and third most hardball gets this season, before winning the club’s champion player in a premiership year.

While there are question marks over Parish’s foot skills, Turner said his strengths outweighed his flaws.

“He wins a lot of his own footy inside; his outside game has improved, his offensive spread and defensive running got a lot better in the second half of the year,” he said.

“He’s a good decision maker.

“Probably the knock on Cassidy a little bit is his kicking, but it improved as the year went on, and he’s not a fantastic athlete, but his brother Darcy didn’t test that well either.

“What you can’t test is a kid’s desire to go and get the ball and put his head over the ball.”

Cassidy Parish during the TAC Cup Grand Final. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)
But Turner said Parish was no guarantee to find a home in tomorrow night’s national draft.

“I’ll be honest, he polarises clubs. Some clubs love him, some clubs don’t,” he said.

“He’s an unusual looking footballer. But the things in his favour — he’s as tough as nails and he’s got a great attitude, he understands the game and he’s Darcy’s brother. And he’s over 190cm, so he’ll be a beast of a player — a bit like Jobe Watson if given the opportunity, or Josh Kennedy at the Sydney Swans.”

Turner said he would cross his fingers and hope for the best.

“I’m hoping he gets drafted because he deserve to,” he said.

“Certainly on what he did this year, in the TAC Cup and for Vic Country, he deserves his chance. But I can’t tell you 100 per cent he’s going to get drafted.”

3 Likes

I’ve seen both guys live more than 10 times and Worpel rushes it on the boot far more than LDU, Worpel will often burn players wanting to receive a handball, his champs was the best he has been with his kicking but at TAC level he would often go back into bad habits.

I think it’s more the case of him trying to shake off something natural he has done his whole career and adjusting to what clubs want from him will be his goal. In general his kicking is fine it’s the decisions on when to kick is that let’s him down

1 Like

I must admit, that pretty much explains the reason for my interest.

1 Like

Thanks.

Any chance it’s an ego thing where after his performances as a bottom ager at the champs last year he got ahead of himself and want interested in doing the team things at the lower level?

Imagine if Constable did a Mathieson and slide to our pick 48, dreaming much :heart_eyes:

He did it last year aswell so it’s more a game style change as much as it is attitude, i don’t think it’s his intention to burn players I’ve heard him in interviews and it sounds like an outstanding leader

1 Like

I’d be happy to take Cassidy Parish…getting the aggot is the hard bit and where we get found out. Hopefully can distribute by hand.

…*Agate??

1 Like

“We expected him to go in the second round”

1 Like

The likes of Constable, Ballard etc are shifting quite a lot in the latest phantom drafts.

It’s not like there has been any recent games, so it must all be due to the ‘word on the street’.

Shows how much of a crrap shoot it can be to forecast the draft, without any inside word.

vanilla half back flanker who has elite endurance and will develop into a midfielder

WELCOME TO ESSENDON

2 Likes

Who was the last player we recruited who fit that description?

1 Like

Ridley, redman.

Red an was a forward.
We’re taking the long way round by turning him into a HBF first, before praising his mid potential.

1 Like

Can’t see either Ridley or Redman being midfielders ever. Ridley looks like a CHB, Redman looks like a VFL player.

Redman and Ridley aren’t Vanilla either and I’m unsure on both players endurance if they even are elite haha

redmans as vanilla as it comes…

That’s a semi-precious stone, isn’t it? I’ve always spelt it aggot when it relates to a ball…or a testicle.