Play on

You can jitter and stutter all the fark you want. Unless the bloke goes off his line it AIN'T PLAY ON. FFS.

That is not correct based on this week.
Let's see if they follow through with this rubbish in today's game where the spotlight will be on it

Yeah, this isn't why we lost, but it just assists the flood of defenders pushing back and forth by adding another layer of pressure to the kicker. Totally unnecessary and probably thought to be a good idea by the same people that think banning backwards kicks is a good idea.

I'm one of those who absolutely thinks the backwards kick is a blight on the game and killing it as a spectacle. Not advocating a ban per se, but in favour of the backwards kick having the same effect as a handball and that is that you're free to be tackled and not entitled to stand there like a ■■■■ chewing up time.

Yeah, this isn't why we lost, but it just assists the flood of defenders pushing back and forth by adding another layer of pressure to the kicker. Totally unnecessary and probably thought to be a good idea by the same people that think banning backwards kicks is a good idea.

I'm one of those who absolutely thinks the backwards kick is a blight on the game and killing it as a spectacle. Not advocating a ban per se, but in favour of the backwards kick having the same effect as a handball and that is that you're free to be tackled and not entitled to stand there like a ■■■■ chewing up time.

Where I see it as the backwards kick is more often than not bought about by ■■■■ flooding tactics from the defending team.
To make them play on would penilize the attacking team yet let the defending team just flood back which is what is really the blight on the game if there is one

Where I see it as the backwards kick is more often than not bought about by **** flooding tactics from the defending team.
To make them play on would penilize the attacking team yet let the defending team just flood back which is what is really the blight on the game if there is one

was exactly the problem with stupid ■■■■■■■ don't reward the backwards kick last time it came up. teams will flood more if the opposition has to go straight down the line and can't switch the play. pressure long bombs into a flood. that's gonna look great.

They make a backward kick not count as a mark, backwards kicking happens less, teams switch play less, defenses have to adjust zones less, even less free players in the corridor and one on ones, more giant packs on the boundary, more rolling stoppages. There's no rule you can change that will stop coaches being conservative.

Play on was obviously 'topic of the week' at umpire training.  Not withstanding our lack of performance, the umpires did not allow us in the game either.

Massive turn around in momentum was when Jobe was tackled to the ground nothing paid, immediate goal at the other end.  12 point turnaround at critical time.

Have watched it a few times, can't find an excuse for the umpire.

Watching the hawks v cats game, and Gibson (amongst others) moves off his line every time and never gets called to play on.

l'm one of those who think we should leave the game and its rules alone, stop tinkering and tweaking them, game plans will adjust accordingly. 

I agree, the constant “Play On!” calls were ridiculous. The last straw was Daniher, took a mark, doesn’t hear the regular 2 second delay “play on” call, gets tackled, holding the ball and watches the opposition run away with the ball dumbfounded.

I agree, the constant "Play On!" calls were ridiculous. The last straw was Daniher, took a mark, doesn't hear the regular 2 second delay "play on" call, gets tackled, holding the ball and watches the opposition run away with the ball dumbfounded.

FFS! Now not hearing is an excuse. Jesus! Happens every freakin' week to someone.

Most of the time it was stupidity on the part of our players.  The amount of times they absent-mindedly took a few steps sideways was infuriating. 

There were some bad calls on occasion but we were silly.