Play the kids

I think Guelfi and Clarke along with Lav are the next lot.

Clarke needs to continue to clean up his disposal every year, and then know his limitations as Ling did during Geelongs successful era.

Yes, the doedee example is wasnā€™t the best, more an example of great development which is a topic for another thread.

I think this is the equation most think of
try kids = give up on season.

The whole supposed reason of having depth is so they can cover for regular 22 senior players if one of them is out.

ATM weā€™ve had raz, ambrose, gleeson forced outs due to injury.

and weā€™ve had top ups come in. one in the side is probably ok from week to week.

but you canā€™t carry 3, so why arentā€™ any youngsters being given a shot down back ?
We just lost to a bottom 6 side from last year with 4 newbies in the side.

the simple fact is, if brown and hartley and dea down back are the BEST options we have, we are pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– .

Weā€™ve been forced into a situation were we need to try things. instead of trying new things, weā€™ve tried old things, that donā€™t work.

1 Like

ok besides Francis cos thatā€™s stupid, who do the other three replace?

The weakest spots right now are probably (in rough order) Dea, Brown, Langford, Hartley, Tippa.

Tippa probably has another weekā€™s grace, off 2017 form. I would like Langford given another 2 weeks (unless heā€™s putrid).

Ridley could come in for Brown or Dea. Mutch could come in for Langford. Guelfi could come in for Dea or Langford. Lav could replace Tippa.

1 Like

Ridley is the only obvious young for old. This was in my initial response.

Although I agree Mutch for Langford is young for young.
Guefli isnā€™t as tall and as strong as Dea and Dea is just holding Gleasonā€™s spot anyway (another young).

Lav is a different player than Tippa. But sure.

Brown just needs to be dropped and Iā€™m not too fussed who comes in because they couldnā€™t be any worse. (Would love it to be Francis or Ridley, but thatā€™s not on the cards this week.)

He was OK first week. But 28yos (or whatever he is) need to be more consistent than that.

None are exactly like for like, Iā€™m not even sure any of them would be the right call. But thereā€™s things you could do.

Kelly @ pick24, not a bad pick up for a team with Danger, Ablett, Selwood. Exactly what we needed.

4 Likes

Cam Rayner would have been a nice pickup too.

2 Likes

#tankedthewrongdraft
#keilor

Bezerker could jump the lot of them. I praised him when he was drafted but thought he wouldnā€™t play for 2-3 years but I wouldnā€™t mind seeing him fast tracked. Speaking to a couple of Sturt officials at the SANFL this arvo and they reckon we have a beauty

14 Likes

BT calling his name if he takes a hangar will be worth waiting for

BZEEEEEERRRRRKKKKAAAAA!!

just for correction this is Doedeeā€™s third year.
Heā€™s had two years of development.

Two years of ā€˜play the kidā€™ finally worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

in the twos.

The Bezerker hype has been the highlight of the blitz footy weekend.

Bring him the fark in.

2 Likes

We certainly need to have a look at a few imo. Iā€™d like to see Mutch, redman, Clarke and Ridley given a go sooner rather than later.

Even the good sides still manage to inject kids in and keep blooding them. Sydney and Geelong in particular imo do it very well.

1 Like

I donā€™t prescribe to the theory that ā€˜playing the kidsā€™ means you are giving up on the year.

I reckon playing the kids - and finding a few gems - is how you actually jump up the ladder.

If the kids are any good, they make you better.

12 Likes