Political Correctness

Those experiences are very much a part of what Dreamtime is about.

You know, stories about this land that have been around 38,000 years (dated cave paintings) longer than the bible. Just because they aren’t in a book or can be dated on the gregorian calendar doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be celebrated parts of our nations history of settlement.

I’d be massively down with Rainbow Serpent day. Make that a holiday and hand our land preservation awards

Love this story

[quote=“benfti, post:2168, topic:3794”]
I’d be massively down with Rainbow Serpent day.

3 Likes

That’s a cool story.
More of a Genesis/Eden tale than about arriving (not that I could possibly have expected it to be) though.
I’m sure I’m missing some of the subtleties.

Point is there is tonnes of stories from the dreaming that can easily be extrapolated as early settler stories that we know from cave paintings to be thousands of years old. The rainbow serpent which is a commonly known story even outside indigenous culture is yes about how the dreaming explains how the country and land came to be. But it’s also about how the dance and tradition of celebrating that land came to be.

I guess what I’m saying, is the rainbow serpent Dreamtime story is a much larger part of this countries history and culture than the landing of Arthur Phillip.

So many people (yourself included) call for a pointed date in aboriginal history to come out and claim as a sufficient national day, full well knowing no indigenous person is going to he able to come up with something based on a method of counting trips around the sun that the northern hemisphere used that had no relevance to their culture for 59,750 years.

This history is there, we just have to change the way we measure it.

Indigenous people didn’t even know what a “date” was.

Well not until January 26, 1788 that is, which is largely the point.

This thread is an absolute mind-■■■■.

4 Likes

Actually, you assumed I meant a calendar date.
I’m quite aware that indigenous Australians noted seasons (eight of them, in one place I lived) and thought something could perhaps be extrapolated from that.

Likewise. Amazing story.

If this is what the indigenous people as a collective would support then that’s fantastic.

However it has been suggested that the Serpent’s position as the most prominent creator god in the Australian tradition has largely been the creation of non-Aboriginal anthropologists.

Once you’ve thrown out you’re Gillette razors it gets much better.

1 Like

Just that it’s a ‘god like’ creature. The story is many thousands of years old. Anthropologists wanted to position that indigenous people had deities. I had a Bigambul elder tell me the story that the serpent was a rainbow that moved water from one hole to another so that certain watering holes would never go dry in drought. For all intents and purposes, the serpent is gia.

I reckon a day celebrating the land and conservation and preservation themed that way, and national awards given out in that field of work would be a really good thing.

1 Like

Really like that idea.

1 Like

Yeah and make it a public holiday where people are encouraged to go outside

1 Like

Is ‘gia’ the same as ‘gaia’?

A rainbow serpent celebration?

Maybe like a festival, but different date than Australia Day, um…

P.S just taking the ■■■■. I like bens idea.

1 Like

Yeah bro, autocorrect

Lol, yep. I always found it ironic that those guys took that name to go out into the middle of no where and trash the joint, poison kids and such.

1 Like

Those things usually start way different to how it ends up.

I’d guess the first one being deliberately held over Aus day was probably pretty aligned to what your saying. I’d expect the couple of hundred hippies that went to the first one we’re pretty different to the current attendees.

So…who’s Gia eh, eh?

A mid 90s Ford, wasn’t it?

1 Like

Carmen Gia

Looked more like an observation, and a passing one at best.