Political Correctness

Really? Calling groups Nazis sets a dangerous precedent.

As opposed to political parties/groups obtaining power using xenophobic messaging. I mean that’s not setting a precedent, history already holds that precedent.

The real issue is people campaigning on xenophobia not the people calling them out how ever clumsily they do it.

Yes, I think it’s a very dangerous thing to do. It’s like labelling someone a pedophile if they are not.

I am not having this discussion dude. I only replied because I resented you saying I defend Nazis. I never have done that.

1 Like

Don’t know if you have ever been to Europe and seen the places where Nazis turned humans to ash or in Austria where in one Town every Jew was murdered.

However all the Germans, Austrians, Hungarians and the rest of the Axis people’s knew exactly what was happening to the Jews and they all tried to hide their involvement when the War ended.

They knew it was not the right thing to do to slaughter, torture, enslave people and cremate them after stealing all their belongings including their gold teeth.

1 Like

I make life difficult for some call centre workers by asking them to use their own name, otherwise I demand they call me Mao Tse Tung.

If they don’t I tell them I will be staying on for the survey to give them a scathing assessment.

I used to work with a pommy girl who was really nice, but had this clipped pommy accent that made anything she said sound like she was royalty.

I was on a ward with her and a patient and asked her what she did that weekend and she told me “oh it was so dreary with the weather being what it was I just sat round watching reruns of MASH”

Granted it was a you had to be there moment but it came out so randomly I had to leave as ■■■■■■■ yourself with laughter on an oncology ward ain’t a good look.

‘I’m not at the ballet’: Cops bail up Pies fan for ‘barracking too loud’

By Zach Hope and Rachel Eddie

June 11, 2019 — 11.05am

A footy fan at Monday’s Queen’s Birthday clash at the MCG claims he was threatened with eviction by half a dozen police because he was “barracking too loud”.

Pies supporter Simon Grech, 39, a self-described “very passionate supporter”, says he was sitting with a group of mates in his usual seat in the Collingwood reserve section when the police approached him in the second quarter after a spectacular Jordan De Goey goal.

](javascript:void(0):wink:

Simon Grech says he was almost evicted by police at the MCG on Monday.

He said police acknowledged he was not swearing or being abusive, and when he questioned them about the apparent problem an officer replied: “Do you hear what I said? You’re barracking too loud”.

Mr Grech said another officer told him he wasn’t doing anything wrong but that they had to follow protocol.

“I want to to know whose orders are they acting on because it’s getting beyond a joke,” Mr Grech said.

"I’m not at the ballet, I’m at the footy. I pay $1000 a year … Why should the AFL take my money and then take away my right to support my team?

"For the whole second half I didn’t say boo. They used the words ‘unsociable barracking’ or something like that … do they want us to wear seat belts now so we can’t jump up?

“You want me to start fairy-clapping? Are we at a cupcake contest?”

The incident sparked a social media firestorm on Monday after someone sitting nearby posted to Twitter that the father of two was “not offensive, not swearing, just loud.”

Fans have been up in arms after a series of recent bans and evictions for what many say is no more than passionate supporting.

The AFL Fans Association is looking into Mr Grech’s claims and those of another supporter who posted to Twitter on Monday that four men sitting nearby were kicked out for no obvious reason.

The association’s president Gerry Eeman said he’s received a lot of complaints from fans about a new “overly heavy-handed approach” about what is acceptable at games.

“What is deemed acceptable has changed, but nobody’s actually been told.”

Mr Eeman said the recent spate of highly-publicised violence at the MCG was a separate problem.

“The issue is about fans feeling like there’s a big brother around and they’re unsure about what they can and can’t say,” he said.

“The overwhelming majority of fans want a no-tolerance approach to violence at the football.”

The association has called on the league to provide clarity about what can and can’t be said at the football.

Mr Grech said police told him Melbourne supporters sitting nearby, who he was initially unaware of given his Collingwood seats, had reported him for his barracking.

He said fellow fans offered their support after the incident, including the two elderly ladies who regularly sit behind him.

Mr Grech said police told him to tone it down and next time he would be evicted. He said he was worried police would be watching him when he’s next at the ground, to see the Pies play Hawthorn.

It comes as the AFL plans to hand down its review into the eviction for reportedly calling an umpire a “bald-headed flog”.

The move came in the days after four men, including a father and son, were charged with affray after the Collingwood-Carlton match at the MCG.

THE HAPPY CLAPPERS HAVE WON - FMD

wtaf are you talking about??

2 Likes

I don’t know enough about this specific story, but the argument of “I paid $X for this, I can do what I like!” when it comes to unsociable behavior wears thin on me real quick.

7 Likes

When is supporting your team “too loudly” unsociable? FMD I hope there is a supporter ban so these do gooder, know it all, politically correct farkers all get the heave ho…barracking too loudly, FFS !!!

3 Likes

While I tend to agree with you, without actually seeing and hearing what he was doing/saying, it’s quite possible that he was behaving aggressively and making people feel uncomfortable.
And if someone reports behavior as anti-social then of course the police should follow it up - the point is they didn’t kick him out, but they didn’t want to have to come back again.
And he probably needed to be a bit more aware of his surroundings, if he’s frothing while everyone else is knitting then of course he’s gonna stand out. This was the MND match don’t forget.
But yeah, on the surface it seems the Melbourne supporters were having a sook and abusing the anti-social reporting.

1 Like

Thanks for this, it was new for me, good story. I await the graphic novel and movie of the ANZACs v Nazis at Thermopylae.

It seems the ANZACs consistent special skill is defending against overwhelming odds, followed by a strategic withdrawal.

(don’t @ me, we are only talking about when Aust and NZ troops are fighting together in the same battle).

1 Like

Perhaps don’t be so sanctimonious if you don’t have the specifics then.

1 Like

Sometimes there’s another side you don’t hear.
Yesterday, a Bomber supporter - a very drunk one - was screaming his head off - just like me. But he was throwing in the C word and a few other choice phrases. The young guy next to me had his daughter/sister next to him - maybe 7 years old. He turned around and asked the guy to mind the language, and the bloke went of his head at him, forcing him to leave the area - a paid-up reserve seat member.

Support your team without being a ■■■■.

9 Likes

Meanwhile at AFL HQ…

7 Likes

The general public don’t tend to tolerate that behaviour and the majority of the time it gets called out.

Kids have been hearing choice words at the footy for years, as well as in their play grounds at school.
No one should be dropping C bombs at the footy, but that 7 year old is just as likely to hear songs about sex, drugs etc on the car ride to the game on FoxFM. ■■■■ that Rihanna, Ariana Grande and others sing is more detrimental to a young kids mind than some pumped up supporters venting with a bit of the old …”what a ■■■■ decision ump!”

3 Likes

What you just said has very little to do with what I described. I’ve written what I experienced yesterday. It wasn’t primary school language, or radio language, and it wasn’t suggestive sexual language. It was hyper-aggressive drunken gutter talk to the guardian of a 7-year old child, right in front of her. There is no justification for that. Don’t put spin on it. My point is specifically about this incident, not any other scenario you may bring up.

1 Like

Yeah but I get what firing line is saying… think the point is that has always been frowned upon… there was never a time when it was ok to berate and be aggressive to someone in front of their kid. It always would’ve been seen as shithouse. What we’re talking about now is the public getting warned and kicked out for passionate barracking (allegedly). Something footy fans have been doing for 100+ years. Wouldn’t call that being a ■■■■

1 Like

I agree with that point. I do suspect, though, that ‘passionately supporting’ often gets confused with things a bit worse.

1 Like

What BS is this ?

3 Likes