Political Correctness

Welcome to the Brave New World!

Life mostly assuredly had much more freedom when I was younger. I am nearly starting to subscribe to the theory that us Baby Boomers have so much to answer for.

While sitting in a dry seat at ā€œMarvelā€ or the G is nice, I cannot smoke, I cannot take my own esky and now I cannot call an umpire a green maggot or a flog !! While I am not fussed about smoking, and my capacity to drink has diminished, passionately supporting my Team is my right. I donā€™t swear or abuse our Players, but reserve the right to call out incompetent umpires and opposition mongrels like Stratton.

These ā€œofficersā€ who want me to be aware of my behaviour can GAGF. It will end up that no-one will go to the footy.

3 Likes

See you in jail then. :joy:

I want the top bunk and I am Bubba !

You speak out against political correctness and then sign off with that ā€˜I amā€¦ā€™ crap.

What happened to him?
Body shaming?

Just as well I live in NSW and get to only a few games. If I lived in Melbourne I would probably be banned by the PC AFL Police Force on my first appearance.

The AFL simply cannot control everything and as they try more things will become apparently out of control.

What I want to know is how far off are we for the AFL Party in Parliament???

WTF ???

I was making the funny.

I was at Windy Hill in the 1970s very close (2 or 3 metres) to Kevin Murray as he ran out leading Fitzroy. Murray had won a stack of B&Fs and a Brownlow and was often referred to as the old man of football. I yelled out - hereā€™s the old man of football. Two very old Fitzroy supporters told me I was a fuc&ing little c^%t who should shut his mouth. It didnā€™t scar me despite my tender age. They probably had a reasonable point.

I think most of our critique of swearing is hypocritical, as we have these changeable rubbery standards as to when and where itā€™s ok. I think swearing to emphasise something even in public is harmless (The umpiring is farking hopeless today) and if someone takes offence itā€™s their problem. If itā€™s strong personal abuse then itā€™s not ok because of the aggressive nature rather than the words used.

1 Like

Please add footy-relevant posts to the other thread now:

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/t/fan-behaviour-at-afl-games/16244/127

I feel like if everyone was made to wear fedoras weā€™d all behave much better.

1 Like

Going to the footy to watch Coleman

Going to the footy to watch Sidebottom

4 Likes

Also, worried about his behaviour in public being censored

Worried about catching Polio from the urinals

I donā€™t even want to think about Joffaā€™s pubic behaviour.

Mustafa Kemal, the first Turkish President, actually tried to do this in the nineteen twenties.

1 Like

Was he the one who said ā€œI canā€™t recall the name, but the fez is familiarā€?

Because of that, he banned the fez.

1 Like

He never fezzed up to it.

1 Like

Trying to get some of the discussion in the other thread in here. Sorry to ā€œpickā€ on you @JBOMBER, but your post had a lot of history in it so it seemed a good one to pull across.

Edit: Rats, this doesnā€™t appear to have worked.

I think there is a difference if it is a general employee, versus one who is probably paid a marketing wage (if its anything like the AFL). If youā€™ve taken money from someone to promote their product, and be the face of that product, then I donā€™t think the person employing you is out of bounds expecting you to be civil to all of the potential customers. To not embarrass them.

It gets more interesting if heā€™s not paid an explicit marketing allowance. To what degree are sportsmen now marketers versus their job just being playing on the weekend and turning up for training? Given I bet their contracts contain heaps of clauses around being available for journalists, promotional shoots etc., I suspect even a standard contract would be deemed as having some element of marketing.

Trying to move discussionsā€¦

Moving overā€¦

@BLOODSTAINED_DEVILS, not a mod, but giving it my best go with some key posts.

And others who talked:

@Bacchusfox
@dingus
@handypoint
@Marlowe
@bloodychoir
@mdso