Political Correctness

Biological sex and gender are two different things

3 Likes

Exactly, this is a much bigger conundrum for them than anyone who is gender fluid

And they can pick he or she, not some made up bullshit.

WTF does “gender fluid” mean?

2 Likes

It means what ever you want it to mean

So I’ve heard it said.

If found this extract from Amy Chua’s ‘Political Tribes’ on US identity politics interesting.

Nothing to do with said.
I challenge you to find any authoritative source that refers to biology as a defining characteristic of gender.
Every major dictionary and even the WHO clearly distinguish the two terms.

Isn’t it politically incorrect to slur Carlton supporters?

:astonished:

That’s why I said if they prove through their actions…
They made their choice

1 Like

Peterson has misconstrued C-16 because he’s either being deliberately obtuse or he’s a ■■■■ or both.

I’m going for the latter.

Grand total of 0 arrests under C-16 (after amendment of inclusion of transgender) AFAIK

Well I have two dictionaries on my phone, the Macquarie and the Shorter Oxford, and both give several meanings to the word “gender”. The primary meaning is that it’s a grammatical term relating to nouns, which are classified in many languages as masculine, feminine or neuter.

The secondary meaning is “the members of one or other sex” (Shorter Oxford) or “a sexual identity, such as heterosexuality, homosexuality or bisexuality” (Macquarie).

The idea that a human being has a sex defined by biological factors and a gender that is some sort of state of maleness or femaleness that a person “identifies with” has existed only since the late 1970s and is by no means universally accepted.

2 Likes

Originally, gender did primarily refer to describing things as masculine, feminine or neutral.
Again had nothing to do with biology/sex.

Full Oxford ie not conveniently quoted to suit bias
“Either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.”

World Health Organisation
“ Gender refers to the socially constructed characteristics of women and men – such as norms, roles and relationships of and between groups of women and men. It varies from society to society and can be changed.”

Cambridge
“The physical and/or social condition of being male or female”

Collins
“Gender is the state of being male or female in relation to the social and cultural roles that are considered appropriate for men and women”

*1950s
And it’s universally accepted by everyone in the scientific, academic and political world.
If anyone chooses not to accept it that’s their problem; not everyone else’s.

I didn’t quote full Oxford because I don’t have it (I do have an edition from the eighties which I’ll check, but I’ll bet it says nothing about social constructs, identification, etc.)

The Collins suits your view, as does the WHO (which has only been in that form since 2011). Cambridge is neutral.

1950s/1970s, what’s the difference. The point is that “gender theory” is a very recent invention. And contrary to your assertion it is very far from being universally accepted.

If someone with a male body wants to “identify” as female that’s fine by me. He/she can wear what he/she likes and behave as he/she wants. And if Bill decides that he wants to wear dresses and makeup and be called Carmen I’ll go along with it in most situations at least. But if he/she claims a right to play in a women’s tennis tournament or AFLW game then I do have a problem with it, as I think does anyone with a functioning brain. Similarly if a person with a male body wants to play in a men’s tournament. Or if they claim the “right” to have their birth certificate altered. And I’m afraid that I’m not going to be able to think of “Carmen” as anything other than Bill dressing in women’s clothing.

Fully concur.

If you’ve got a problem with using recent theories, you’d best flush your computer, mobile, laptop and iPad down the ■■■■■■■ and go back to writing on slates.
Cos they weren’t around before the 70s.

2 Likes

Oh please.

2 Likes

this legistration is completely about what you think, of course

I would argue beastie that legislation is never about what you think. It is about what you do.

2 Likes