Political Correctness

The pay gap got worse in the construction sector, not sure the CMFEU is doing its job there

Aww, you poor little darling.

2 Likes

Those policies are almost always unlimited unpaid leave.

Thank you for backing up my point

1 Like

Are you saying a bunch of predominantly white guys arenā€™t best placed to comment on diversity?

3 Likes

Legit request.

Thereā€™s been plenty of references to studies and evidence proving the existence of a pay gap but none have been linked. Can some one please provide them?

https://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?q=gender+pay+gap+studies&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

1 Like

Hold up a tick - are people denying a gender pay gap full stop? Men certainly earn more than women. The crux of the issue is whether or not itā€™s because of sexism.

2 Likes

Of course they are.
The same cretins who deny climate change is happening.
ā€œBecause damn lefties.ā€

Noo

Well I am not sure that the construciton industry is a good one to compare ā€œgender gapā€.

You know that :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Can be for sure.

Itā€™s not really about whether your getting paid or not.

Itā€™s the conversation about if your needed if your not there.

Itā€™s not healthyā€¦ But hey donā€™t take my word for it, my opinion is based on discussions with business owners and articles and academic papers quoting stats.

Companies are offering it. Join one and find out.

itā€™s political correctness gone mad.

i just came here to say that in case anyone hadnā€™t seen/heard it enough.

3 Likes

Why is that? We arenā€™t talking about the total number of employees of that gender, we are talking about average wage and how women are paid less than men.

Because in the Construction Industyr th highest paying jobs are for the qualified Tradesmen and the jobs with the most danger. Reckon that traditionally these have not be females roles.

I know John Setka well, so I will ask him if his Union discriminates against women when it comes to wage levels. Reckon I may be a spot of bother.

1 Like

There ya go - Iā€™ve never heard anyone say that. The prominent figures that refute the pay gap freely admit thereā€™s a roughly 20% discrepancy in wages between the genders. They just deny that itā€™s due to sexism.

In these threads youā€™ll quickly learn thereā€™s no racism, sexism, or economic or social disparities or inequity of any sort.
If anything, the world is rigged against white males.

Itā€™s amazing.

5 Likes

Yes, this is the main point, it exists, but only in a small part to sexism.

At least thatā€™s what I tend to believe based on my research into the topic - and I tend to agree with Jordan Petersonā€™s views (which I am sure have been discussed in this thread I just didnā€™t go back far enough).

Sure, some bosses (male AND female) probably are sexist.

But there are obviously other reasons for the pay gap - depending on how it is measured.

Peterson suggests studies show that women on average tend to be more ā€œagreeableā€, and so when it comes to demanding/negotiating high salaries or pay rises they are less likely to chase them aggressively.

He also suggests that women (on average) are less motivated by salary than men. e.g., they might prefer work/life balance over salary rather than opting in to be a workaholic, and so are less likely to want to climb the corporate ladder.

Really, the best way to identify sexism is to look at women and men in the same company performing the same job with the same output and then look at how/why the salaries vary - keeping in mind there would be situations when men doing the same job are on different salaries. Variances could then be due to experience, qualifications, or other discriminatory factors (age, sex, religion).

2 Likes

Youā€™ll also learn that people love to make generalising statements

If your research includes agreeing with Jordan Peterson (another white, middle class man) you need to do more research :slight_smile:

1 Like