Political Correctness

Ha. My nephew posted a photo on FB the other day of him doing exactly that. Pretty sure he tagged it as #UniLife

Farkin kids.

2 Likes

Acting like you wouldn’t do that if you could have.

1 Like

It’s not about the information
It’s about the tools, skills and context to appraise and contextualise information.

Anyone can read a fact, that hasn’t actually, changed, just the mode and speed of delivery has (online journal / website vs printed journal / newspaper / book).

The skill to work out whether it makes sense, it means anything, and whether it’s right or not is the tricky bit.

At least it is in the sciences and engineering.
No idea what you shitlords do in marketing and flower arranging and similar 3-ply degrees.

1 Like

Trying to work out if that post makes sense

3 Likes

I should state that you can’t learn these effectively at home yourself, or anything with a hands-on or practical element. Obviously.

But I can say from a flower arranging perspective… It’s just a transfer of information. That’s literally all it is, and there are now more efficient tools to do that.

It’s kinda true, but also a bit false.

People do have access to more information than ever, but who actually goes into it in depth?

Sure you can have a thought bubble that perhaps Blue Tulips are the bees knees in flower arranging amd then watch a 10 min YouTube on it.

The beauty of university is you devote 3 years of your life going in depth on all the issues. You look at flower arranging from all angles, read the experts, get exposed to alternate views. A good essay you might spend 20 hours reading, which is way more than the 10 min YouTube.

The trick is to pick a course where you want to go in depth. Then embrace that time of your life as an opportunity to get us much information you can.

1 Like

I even wonder, even for them.

Part of uni is effectively paying for the content to be created/curated (and taught) by people who know what they’re talking about.

You can say you can find “the” info online, provided for free

Is it actually up to date info? Who’s providing that for free - and why? Call me a sceptic but there’s a lot of ■■■■ information on the internet.

2 Likes

You watch one YouTube video, and then that’s it you reckon? Just switch the app off? I have to question if you’ve ever used YouTube.

1 Like

Yeah but it generally goes down a rabbit hole.

Blue Tulips
Exotic Flowers
Rainforest ecology
Ahayuasca
Stoned Ape theory

Didn’t end up learning much about flower arranging.

There is two parts to it. The information is available freely, but yes you’ve gotta filter out the sh*t yourself.

The information is also available for you curated format types, cheaply, and even still for free sometimes.

I’ll use the digital marketing example. You can learn every single skill you need to fulfill a modern digital marketing job, for free online. Many of the courses are from Google directly, and I think the only payment is for AdWords accreditation (I think, potentially not even that.).

There are a staggering amount of free courses online anyway, and plenty of moderately priced ones. I started doing the Princeton University cryptocurrency course online a few years back, but I just wasn’t smart enough to finish it.

An argument can be made that if you are the type of person to spend three years of the intense flower-arrangement studies you are describing instead of ■■■■-farting around with your mates at Uni, then you are likely to also be the type of person that would dedicate more than 10 minutes of video-watching on the subject.

3 Likes

Doesn’t matter where I start, I always end up here.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

Worth pointing out a big part of why companies want degree educated people is nothing to do with the degree. It shows you can dedicate yourself to something for 3+ years.

1 Like

Plus they know that they are already in substantial debt to begin with, which is just how you want your employees.

1 Like

Haha

“Mortgage? Degree? Kids too? Yes, yes, excellent”

2 Likes

The debate in general makes me a little uneasy.

Do we want through self study for potential Doctors to read about Vitamin C as a cure all, lawyers study Sovereign Citizens and Engineers perpetual motion machines. Becuase that’s what a lot of the free/alternate information is on.

I get that the angle might be more aimed at the lower generalist degrees. Where it is deemed practical experience is more important. But I don’t like the anti intellectual sense it creates. Statistically speaking going to Uni is one of the best decisions you can make. Wealth, health and a whole raft of factors are significantly better for those with higher education.

2 Likes

Meh. I suspected that ages ago. :laughing:

1 Like

There’s a fair whiff of intellectual elitism going on in that second part, if we’re gonna throw buzz words about.

2 Likes

You went to uni.

Embrace your rightful superiority.

2 Likes

I went to uni.
By which I mean I crashed at a friend’s dorm room a couple of times.