Political Correctness

Quick question, … is it illegal that I keep Batman behind my door for protection?

Sticks and stones, so who's offended? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiLpFG5uUc0 I live a fairly secluded life but I've witnessed two such attacks, one an aboriginal teenager and the other on a group of Sudanese kids, on separate outings that were meant to be good fun. They took the racist abuse "stoically", the aboriginal kid told me it was no big deal as he'd copped worse before, but I have to admit I was deeply offended, and ashamed.

Makes my blood boil.
I had a situation that almost came to this at a servo the other day, with a woman who was the twin of that low-life, and an Indian guy at the counter. This was over the fact that the store didn’t have a particular type of chewing gum. I had to step in front of her, and apologise to the man, who was so hurt. Farking disgraceful, and should be called out whenever seen.

And this bullshitte about ‘words can never hurt you’ - is absolute TRIPE.
Have we not come any further than that? Harden the fark up, ya girl? Jeeeezus! What an enlightened farkin age we live in. Where mental health problems are laughed at and used as derogatives, mental health problems are not given an iota of the same care as physical issues, and we still say WORDS CAN’T HURT YOU! WTF!!! Anyone claiming that has either been burnt so bad in the past that they’ve erected a stony wall around themselves, or are spiritless automatons. Words not only can hurt, but they have an everlasting effect, unlike most physical injuries. Get farkin real ffs

That is offensive. And, I agree, words can seriously hurt people. But, is a law-based response the best option for dealing with offensive words/actions?

I don’t think so.

Exactly. And I think part of the problem is that it is assumed by many if you think there shouldn’t be a law against something that you automatically must think it is acceptable.
I have had so people say to me “so you think you should be able to abuse people racially?”
No I don’t. I think it is appalling behaviour and should be called out at every opportunity. And with social media it is a lot easier to do that today than it was in years gone by. And the more it gets called out the more people get educated.
I just don’t think it should be illegal.

How does average farkin Joe use social media to call out a racist?

And its not like I just call 000 and let the jacks know that you offended me and I’m pressing charges.

Put their picture out there. Facebook, Twitter, anywhere you like. Start your own website, it’s not hard.

It’d be pretty scary if that person had just openly abused you to then publicly shame them.

And it either means you know them or have a photo of them.

I’d suggest it would be as meaningful as a group text to friends.

It'd be pretty scary if that person had just openly abused you to then publicly shame them.

These recordings of racists rants that are all over the web are usually not taken by the victim, they are taken by someone else. Who then sends it to the media, or puts it on Facebook or twitter. It’s how things go viral. If they have committed a crime often the police will get involved.

It'd be pretty scary if that person had just openly abused you to then publicly shame them.

These recordings of racists rants that are all over the web are usually not taken by the victim, they are taken by someone else. Who then sends it to the media, or puts it on Facebook or twitter. It’s how things go viral. If they have committed a crime often the police will get involved.

Wait… so instead of having a law that protects people from public abuse where they can submit a written notification of their complaint to a complaints body, we should put a video of the event that some random took on their phone onto the internet and make it go viral so the police will then charge them? Because that’s easier? Not so sure.
Quick question, .. is it illegal that I keep Batman behind my door for protection?

Do what I do.
Keep something that is legal to ‘just have sitting there’.

People don’t need a cup of cement, they need a slice of Kamahl

Quick question, .. is it illegal that I keep Batman behind my door for protection?

Do what I do.

You mean like say, a very hungry ridgeback?

Do what I do.

hahaha, yeah.
I like my 6D cell maglite though.

Do what I do.

hahaha, yeah.

Lol. I carried one of those on my belt at all times when I was running the carnival. Magnificent clubs. And not a bad torch.

Wait… so instead of having a law that protects people from public abuse where they can submit a written notification of their complaint to a complaints body, we should put a video of the event that some random took on their phone onto the internet and make it go viral so the police will then charge them? Because that’s easier? Not so sure.

No.
You said "It’d be pretty scary if that person had just openly abused you to then publicly shame them. And it either means you know them or have a photo of them. "
I said "These recordings of racists rants that are all over the web are usually not taken by the victim, they are taken by someone else. Who then sends it to the media, or puts it on Facebook or twitter. "

Then “If they have committed a crime often the police will get involved.”

Get that bit “If they have committed a crime”
Could be any type of crime.

What I didn’t say was "we should put a video of the event that some random took on their phone onto the internet and make it go viral so the police will then charge them? Because that’s easier? "
Never said that at all. You did.

If a crime has been committed you can report it or not as you please.

I just don’t believe offending someone should be a crime.

No.
You said "It’d be pretty scary if that person had just openly abused you to then publicly shame them. And it either means you know them or have a photo of them. "
I said "These recordings of racists rants that are all over the web are usually not taken by the victim, they are taken by someone else. Who then sends it to the media, or puts it on Facebook or twitter. "

Then “If they have committed a crime often the police will get involved.”

Get that bit “If they have committed a crime”
Could be any type of crime.

What I didn’t say was "we should put a video of the event that some random took on their phone onto the internet and make it go viral so the police will then charge them? Because that’s easier? "
Never said that at all. You did.

If a crime has been committed you can report it or not as you please.

I just don’t believe offending someone should be a crime.

You said all that stuff. Read back.

And you thought it was easier. You said that too.

I think you’re seriously underestimating what it takes to have a successful case against someone in the HRC.

And to add to that, it’s a case again of the ones being worried about the rules being the ones that might offend.

I think it’s more about those that know the realities of 18C/D, and the facts about the HRC, and those that have been NEWSCORPED.

Meanwhile...

A Section 18C racial discrimination complaint has been lodged to remove a memorial commemorating sex slaves of the Japanese Imperial Army in World War II.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-14/japanese-group-launches-18c-case-against-uniting-church/8117234

From what I’ve heard it’s widely believed in legal circles that this complaint is pretty much doomed to failure simply because of the 18d ‘truth’ defence, and is either being pushed by some sort of extremist Japanese nationalist interests, or else by someone trying to make a weird political point of some sort.

If it fails that would be further evidence that it seems to be working close to intentions.

Do what I do.

hahaha, yeah.

Lol. I carried one of those on my belt at all times when I was running the carnival. Magnificent clubs. And not a bad torch.

This is new, but completely unsurprising information

Do what I do.

hahaha, yeah.

You never realised Boot was a bit of a clown?

Carnie folk.

Small hands, smells like cabbage.

Do what I do.

hahaha, yeah.

Ah, I thought you had been here long enough to know that.
There you go, life still holds the occasional surprise.

The amount of people getting wound up over people saying “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas” is hilarious.

The amount of people getting wound up over people saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" is hilarious.

I’ve been saying merry holidays.