Political Correctness

This is mostly true, and one of the real appeals of his podcast. I’m a big fan of Rogan (and Burr, obviously), but I reckon he’s done the ‘PC gone mad’ ‘snowflake lefties’ thing to death, and has probably lost objectivity on the topic.

Sure, he’s all for free speech and I’m with him there, but at some point he needs to acknowledge that he hosts a podcast with 30 million + listeners a month, where he answers to nobody and talks about whatever the hell he wants to for 3 hours at a time. His free speech isn’t as under attack as he’d have you believe.

Outrage culture is farkin annoying, but the outrage at outrage culture is becoming just as tedious.

Oh, and also, as per our discussion a few weeks ago… you might like this, there is certainly a chuckle to be had:

4 Likes

Stating the obvious here. I’ve shared links of his show so I’m pretty clear as to what his program is and the guests from both sides he chats with.

Good on him for having people chat from across the spectrum as I know he cops flack for that, particularly from the left when he’ll chat with the likes of Candice Owens or Jordan Peterson.

Doesn’t mean I have to suck his ■■■■. I think he’s a bit of a slimy wanker. Has nothing to do with his political leanings.

I could listen to Burr all day.

And I think I’d be pretty qualified to discuss opinions on pot smoking, either for or against. It’s not like I don’t personally understand the pro’s and cons.

Who’d argue that’s being PC?
That’s common sense if it’s being broadcast in timeslots to children.

There’s a fair difference between censoring swearing for kids and a monitory group of fuckwits trying to censoring comedians when it’s Adults who make the choice as to whether to attend their show or not.

Huh ? What University students ? Not today and not ever in Australia. And dont believe everything you hear about US Colleges.

Initiations ? Maybe on Animal House, but not at Uni of Melb. Lots of drinking and consentual carnal knowledge, but no weird rite, unless your went to Young Liberals events.

The only possibly correct part in that sentence is the last bit. Uni of Melb is a tomb, has been since Kennett killed the Union. It’s a husk of its former self steadily being colonised by the private arm, intent on becoming the body and the head if it isn’t already. Maybe the wealthy Chinese students are getting it on in the cobwebbed humanities section of the Bailleau, and good on em if so, but that’s about it for the ‘life studies’.

University life has changed and not just Uni of Melbourne. In fact, there is little life at all, no wafts of weed, no debauchery and little fun.

Nothing at all to do with Kennett, it is a total society thing. Students work harder, have longer course hours and need to work to support themselves.

2 Likes

True enough but I experienced the distinct shift after Kennett and it was stark as ■■■■. Very sad to my mind.

and we come back to, most undergrad degrees are a waste of time.

1 Like

He is a comedian and a lot of his friends are comedians, so I imagine the topic of censorship is very important to him. There are stories about it happening everyday, it’s only getting worse. Also Comedy really is dying because of it.

I have never understood this argument. Do you expect people to just give up and stop paying attention to it? Censorship is a very important subject.

It’s like “pedophile priests are awful, but people who keep whining about it are starting to bug me too” or “Sure there was a terrorist attack, but people who keep harping on the fact he was muslim are just as annoying.”

I feel like those people are missing the point.

(BTW, I know you didn’t say those things, I just used examples off the top of my head)

I’m not arguing, I just have never understood that way of thinking.

1 Like

Not defending Jeffrey, but State Government has very little to do with Universities.

Can I help with those two?
The important bits are - the pedophilia and the terrorism. Basically - the crime. No one ever gets upset - at people being upset - with crimes. What can get annoying is when the emphasis is on the secondary part of your examples. I can quite acceptably go on and on about dicky drivers who cut me off all the time. But if I insert something in there - like, say "farking Chinese drivers, always cutting me off’…it gets a bit hairier. And then when I make a habit of it, it becomes annoying.

Analogies, eh?

1 Like

No one in the west has been censored for decades. Edit: Well maybe Bolt, haha!

Publishers choosing not to publish content from individuals is not censorship.

Venues choosing to not host certain people is not censorship.

No, fair enough, and mind you the various striped young political groups that effectively ran the Union were very good at messing things up and rooting things themselves but Jeff certainly got the ball rolling that eventually saw the end of compulsory union fees. I’m just one of those silly old people who thought student run bars, cafes, theatre, cinema, record store, concerts etc. was good for campus life and led to community. I’m sure none of the students care anymore now that it’s just another collection of Wendy’s and tech stores. It’s the global model after all

No it’s not. Stand up Comedy specifically has never been bigger.

It’s not that hard to get your head around.

Of course you don’t stop paying attention to it, but it’s hardly the biggest issue in the world. But geez there is a disproportionate amount of discussion on it, and Rogan is a big offender imo.

1 Like

That Bill Burr thing was about the most sensible and least annoying I’ve ever heard him.
And again, I can’t help but notice the completely misleading click bait title.
At no point does he go OFF about anything.
In fact he spends the entire interview reining the host in.

1 Like

Was not Jeffrey, it was John Howard. Federal initiative

I typically avoid all the titles to these things are are dead right they’re usually misleading click bait

I know the actual abolishment was but cousin Jeff was the loudest voice back in the early nineties and well and truly targeted Melb Uni. No more You Am I free Tuesday concert, barbie and cans in the forecourt. Maybe it’s for the best, it’d be a DJ and grass shots now. Old man, cloud.

But you went to Uni a million years ago:rofl: - There are initiation rites in Universities, particularly with the live-in students.

The relevance of my argument is what Uni students practice is not necessarily what they preach.