Political Correctness

I still don’t quiet understand the #allmen thing. Are people saying all men are doing something wrong? All men need to change? It seems a pretty divisive thing. I might be missing something.

All men need to be aware. All men have responsibility to call out other men. All me. Have the responsibility to actually listen to what the women in your life are telling you.

1 Like

Yeah i think everybody can agree with that. And the men that already do this can go about their business. I have a feeling that some of the people pushing this message don’t understand it. Because i’ve definitely heard some people use it in a sense that “all men have bad tendencies” which is what i meant by devisive.

Yeah that happens, but that isnt criminal is it?

And divorce is possible.

I lost quite a lot of money seperating from my abusive partner. But it was worth it.

The first and most important thing in life is your health.

You can always make more money.

And if kids are involved, well they might not realise it at the time, but I think its the best thing for families if seperation occurs in the long run. Assuming you just can’t reconcile.

Thanks.

Glad that you’re concern is shared between both genders :slightly_smiling_face:

95% of male victims of sexual assualt areat the hands of another make? The citation we both used earlier suggests it’s around 70%.

‘Whataboutisms’ are used to point out potential hypocrisy which in turn are helpful in determining the weight of one’s opinion.

So is it the behaviour that’s the issue or the frequency with which it occurs?

I have no idea how to even answer that.

It’s about getting a common consensus amongst men. If all men think king hitting someone at a pub is pissweak, then it might happen less. Not all men are to blame.

I actually blame this “arrggghhh my shaver company is having a go at my gender arrrgh, arrgggh, hufflepuff, rage, panty wet” culture on the participation award culture… hear me out… because I’m sure this will resonate with even the most staunch PC is out control person

I’m a basketball coach.

I used to run a drill where at the end of training all the team had to line up at the free throw line and shoot 2 free throws, and they could miss one, but if they missed 2 in a row, now it could be one person that did that, or 2. They had to run suicides, and then shoot again. Training would end when we had got through the group without missing back to back free throws.

Now a parent who’s child was asthmatic (who also happened to be a really good free throw shooter) complained that their child should not have to run the suicdes If they made their shots. (Coincidentally they were also the parent who introduced awards for everybody at the end of the season)

I used to run this drill for 2 reasons

1. To build up the kids ability to execute under fatigue (why it was at the end of training) and pressure
  2. To teach the kids that if one of them was to fail, then the team failed, and that they are all were all responsible for the team outcome.

Now people could argue I was victimising the poor shooters in the team. But I’d let the kids choose the order in which they shot. So a poor shooter only needed to make one shot.

It’s up to the people who set the standard to hold those who don’t accountable. You do this not by shaming those that fail, but sharing the burden of failure. It’s called leadership. This is just as relevant in life as it is in sport

3 Likes

I agree with this 100%.

I think things have changed a lot since I was a kid around 40 years ago. Things like gay jokes and sexist jokes and racist jokes were very common, whereas these days it pretty much just highlights your ignorance if you come out with that stuff.

Things have definitely evolved, but I guess it depends where you are, where you work, and what circles you move in. As parents with 1 child in childcare and another in primary school we are can see that the way the schools teach kids things are a lot more politically correct than back in our day. Pretty much every countries national day gets celebrated, the indigenous peoples are constantly acknowledged, gender roles/stereotypes are significantly reduced if not eliminated, family units are not assumed to be traditional, (e.g. bring-a-significant-adult-figure-day") etc. Things like bullying and the environment/recycling are hot issues, as well as mental health and mental resilience and mindfulness.

The times they are a changin, and for the better.

Then again, last week I had a police officer who was directing traffic lean into my window and ask me to “give way to this f.u.c.-tard because he doesn’t know what witches hats mean”.

3 Likes

Got ya. So it’s not that all men need to do more. Some already do the right thing. But it’s about trying to bring all men to that level. This all makes plenty of sense. I feel like a lot of people on both sides of this toxic little conversation are missing that fundamental message.

p.s i hate participation awards.

2 Likes

Hell yeah, you shouldn’t get a trophy for being ■■■■. I’d always give the mvp to the kid who did the most team oriented thing. Like the kid who spent time working with the less talented kids so they understood the plays. Not the kid who jacked up the most shots.

I think most do the right thing fwiw.

3 Likes

Wait until Gill announces there will be 400 Brownlow Medals handed out this season.

1 Like

The news would be pretty boring if every day the headline was
“Man works 8 hours, picks up his kid from footy training and goes home to treat his wife respectfully”.

What is missing, is a deep and genuine respect and compassion between strangers. Starting off from a point of respect, instead of adversity. Aggression is an ancient survival mechanism. The circle needs to be severed - there is no need for it to survive anymore - though that is not the case in all countries and environments. Aggression is not some evil alien trait. It is a survival instinct, largely obsolete.

The change-over process seems to be taking a long time, but isn’t really, when you think of how far we’ve come in a relatively short time. Small increments are important, as it can’t happen all at once and people have to ‘buy-in’. But aggression from one side to another is exactly what is NOT required to advance things.

3 Likes

I don’t mind participation awards, but it depends on the context (and age of the kids).

At one stage I had trouble just getting my 3yo kid to participate, and getting him to stick with it for 10 weeks showed resilience and deserved an award just for that. (Swimming lessons, grasshopper soccer, karate, etc)

1 Like

James Hird works 8 hours, picks up his kid from footy training (at Tullamarine) and goes home to treat his wife respectfully.

There’s click bait for you. We’d all click that.

2 Likes

Actually I reckon Corporations do have social responsibility and P&G (owners of Gillette) have strong policy in this regard.

We have been dealing with P&G all over the World, and while they are not perfect and chase profits as hard as most, they are strict on workplace behaviours and Contractor like us have to comply or no contract, and admittance to each site has entrance program that must be endured.

Worth pointing out the murder rate (in australia) is dropping.

1.8 per 100,000 in 89-90, 1 per 100,000 in 17-18

We are heading the right way.

1 Like

Waiting for the call for more education.