Politics Thread

Quoted Post

Yeah corporate lobbyists are way better - not like they do it on the company dime.

ummm, that’s their job.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Yeah corporate lobbyists are way better - not like they do it on the company dime.

ummm, that’s their job.

And this day of action is part of mine

Quoted Post

Why run it on a weekday? Why not wait a couple of days and run it on their own public holiday on Monday?

Better attendance

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
So, regardless of whether Triggs and/or her report are biased, why did the PM play the man and not ball? Surely his "new government" approach would have been better served by dissecting the report and refuting the parts the LNP disagree with rather than going for her juggular?

For a guy hanging onto his job by the slenderest of margins and with a reputation (rightly or wrongly) for aggressive conduct to women, and with a poor PR image, he seemed pretty quick to revert to old ways. I found Rudd to be a pompous ■■■ who knew how to manipulate the media, but Abbott is increasingly coming across as a bumbling thug.

It would be nice to have political parties that actually appear to care about national governance rather than just getting elected by savaging the other mob, but we get the government we deserve I guess.

And before nickyd and daytripper start extolling the virtues of their respective allegiances, I just don’t see it any other way. In fact I reckon I’m pretty much in the middle of Australian politics. I’m not rusted on either way, I’m not passionate about politics but I am interested in having a government that governs fairly and competently. I’m no fan of unions or corporate business and all I see in modern politics is two main parties too far left or right of the centre and effectively out of touch with the people in the middle.

You think Labor is to far left of centre?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

ummm, that’s their job.

Sorry - is it in people job descriptions to attend protests/rallys when asked to do so?
Is that an actual documented deliverable?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

ummm, that’s their job.

Sorry - is it in people job descriptions to attend protests/rallys when asked to do so?
Is that an actual documented deliverable?

It is actually in my Statement of Duties

Quoted Post

Id say most of middle australia wouldnt have a clue who or what Trigg is/does.

I do think there are valid questions about the politicisation of her role, both now AND under the previous Gov.

I must admit I thought the commission was just another political think-tank that spat out partisan reports on request. You know like those groups that release economic reform suggestions for the Libs. They release some pretty wild stuff & then we end up with watered down version that look tame in comparison. I’d be surprised if many possibly any here knew who she was before the report.

BTW - who appointed her?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

ummm, that’s their job.

Yeah only an idiot would have a problem with companies paying to serve the interests of their executives but not the blue collars.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
For a conservative, "credibility" and "political independence" are 100% agreeing with everything the far right says.

This stance is so pitiful, blinkered and ignorant, it is sad. But then again I suspect that DT types enjoy seeing leftist plots in absolutely facet of life that doesn’t neatly fit into their myopic view of reality.

Paranoia, fear and claiming to know everything are the hallmarks for the far right. Proof that some have descended from tree dwelling apes less quickly than the rest of the population.

Haha - the irony of this post is very funny.

Its hardly a far right stance.
I think most of middle Australia thinks Triggs is a hypocrite who should resign. Her only defenders are those on the left (and generally only the loud-mouthed left too).

Now lets see how independent you are.
*What was Triggs doing on her half a million dollar a year salary in her first year of office whilst 2000 children were in detention?[/quote]

Irrelevant or being restricted by policies whereby entry into detention centres was virtually impossible.

To gather more evidence. For reference think ASADA.

She was given information by people on Christmas Island itself. Independently gathered information, not from a Government engaging in cover-ups.

The figure is irrelevant. One instance is 1 too many.

[quote]*Why did she recommend a 350K payout plus release from detention for a refugee convicted of the manslaughter of his wife as well as numerous other assaults?

Probably on the recommendation of experts in mental health, doctors and whoever else saw the person.

Character is only 1 assessment criteria.

As for your statement that most Australians think she should resign, I would suggest not listening to 2GB (extremist-right wing radio) and take a casual look at the letters to the editor of the Herald-Sun for example. Glowing praise.

Quoted Post

The below is a good thing in my opinion. What they really need to do though is fix the overseas postage issues cause that is really hurting Australian businesses. I believe there is an honour system with regards to overseas postage, i.e. if you post something from say the UK to Australia the Australian company will deliver the parcel for free and vice versa (the home country keeps the money). The issue being Hong Kong for example may post something to us costing $5 AUD but for us to post the reverse it's $25 AUD. Good for Australia post, bad for Australian businesses competing internationally.

"THE price of a standard postage stamp is set to rise from 70 cents to $1 and mail will take longer to arrive, according to government sources.

Malcolm Turnbull is expected to announce today that Australia Post will introduce a two-speed service, which would take two to three days to deliver regular mail and charge a premium for next-day delivery.

The move comes after the service announced a 56 per cent drop in first-half profits, with losses on letters doubling to more than $150 million.

The move could mean more pressure on businesses that rely on Australia Post.

Australians are sending a billion fewer letters a year than they did in 2008, but Mr Turnbull pointed out that Australia Post is currently required to provide a Monday to Friday delivery service to most homes.

His comments on delivery may concern some online shoppers, with internet purchases growing each year. Revenue from Australia Post’s parcel service was actually up four per cent, and revenue for its business parcels service it was up five per cent.

“The decline of Australia Post’s letters business threatens the financial viability of its entire business,” the Communications Minister wrote on his blog last week.

Australia Post will have to apply to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to increase the price of stamps.
Pensioners and commonwealth concession card holders will still be able to buy stamps for 60c and it will still cost 65c to send Christmas cards."

Screw Aust Post.

.70c is a shaft.

They can now budget for 1000+ less letters per annum from ********* ************* Pty Ltd once the price rise kicks in.

If this report is accurate, it’s heartbreaking. This drop coincides with a massive drop in Government foreign aid. I gather the report refers to local and overseas NGOs.
What is happening to us?

Charity donation: Australians donating less to non-government organisations

Australians are donating less to non-government organisations, a study has found.

The study by the Australian National University’s Development Policy Centre found in 2012/2013, Australians gave nine cents in every $100 to international development NGOs, compared to 14 cents in 2004 and 11 cents in 2007.

It said since about 2006, public giving in Australia to these organisations flatlined, just keeping up with inflation.

The research also found that although there has been an increase in the number of NGOs since 2008, more are sharing an essentially static pie.

Co-author of the report, Jonathan Pryke told Radio Australia’s Pacific Beat program that even if individuals in Australia earn more, they tend to still donate the same amount as before.

“As Australians get richer over the last decade, their disposable income grows, whilst their giving to charitable organisations and development organisations remains the same,” he said.

“So the proportion that they are giving decreases of what they can possibly give,” he said.

Mr Pryke said higher performing aid organisations also received more donations and smaller ones often missed out.

“It creates a big risk that NGOs that charge ahead with their fundraising and who are thriving could be doing so at the expense of those who are struggling,” he said.

But Mr Pryke said it was also important to acknowledge that Australia, over the past 15 years, had increased its donations by more than 140 per cent from $378 billion in 2000 to $920 billion.

Topics: relief-and-aid-organisations, community-and-society, charities-and-community-organisations, law-crime-and-justice, government-and-politics, business-economics-and-finance, australia, pacific, asia

Quoted Post

That's what leadership is all about in Australia - self interest and no vision beyond the next opinion poll. Australia is basically ■■■■■■ politically and therefore socially. The quicker the whole country is sold off to China the better.
ROR.

Quite sad really.

If we reeled back time to when Julia was PM, there was some crap on this post, but there was robust debate about policy and a bit more of a positive approach.

Sure KRudd and Julia were like kids in the sandbox but the Country was flying, employment was high and business confidence was up.

Compare it to our current despondency. And all DT can do is defend Tony.

Quite sad really.

Deluded. One of those that cannot & will not accept that the Lib’s do anything wrong ever, hence my likening of him to Henderson. It is sad as you say Bacchus, because what happens is, if they can’t accept even the most glaringly obvious errors from thier side, they become completely irrelevant in any debate & just become confirmers for other deluded up jumped never wrong pontificating ■■■■■■■■ of thier bent. You just phht and move on.

Nearly all left wing commentators I have ever seen or read will punch thier own side in the nuts if it’s justified… sometimes even when it really isn’t

There is no ignore button on here atm, but suffice to say, I’ve now come to scrolling on by any of trips posts…

Nothing sadder than becoming invisible, especially through arrogance.

Stamps are already at 70¢?!? Well, that goes to prove how relevant they are to me now.

Stamps going up, petrol back @ $1.30. Tone has lost control of cost of living!

Can I replace the ACCC?

Here’s my response to every allegation of rorting/gouging.
‘No. Absolutely not. None whatsoever.
And when I say none whatsoever, obviously I mean a little bit. Rarely.
And by rarely, I mean it’s institutionalised. It’s actually built into the system, so there’s no point complaining.
It’s up to the consumer to shop around.
cough
Yes, when I put my hand out like this it means you put money in it.’

Quoted Post

Can I replace the ACCC?

Here’s my response to every allegation of rorting/gouging.
‘No. Absolutely not. None whatsoever.
And when I say none whatsoever, obviously I mean a little bit. Rarely.
And by rarely, I mean it’s institutionalised. It’s actually built into the system, so there’s no point complaining.
It’s up to the consumer to shop around.
cough
Yes, when I put my hand out like this it means you put money in it.’

Do 6 months at the IPA and the job is yours.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
For a conservative, "credibility" and "political independence" are 100% agreeing with everything the far right says.

This stance is so pitiful, blinkered and ignorant, it is sad. But then again I suspect that DT types enjoy seeing leftist plots in absolutely facet of life that doesn’t neatly fit into their myopic view of reality.

Paranoia, fear and claiming to know everything are the hallmarks for the far right. Proof that some have descended from tree dwelling apes less quickly than the rest of the population.

Haha - the irony of this post is very funny.

Its hardly a far right stance.
I think most of middle Australia thinks Triggs is a hypocrite who should resign. Her only defenders are those on the left (and generally only the loud-mouthed left too).

Now lets see how independent you are.
*What was Triggs doing on her half a million dollar a year salary in her first year of office whilst 2000 children were in detention?
*Why did Triggs agree to defer any report until after the 2013 election after discussion with two Labor ministers?
*Why did she falsely claim that guards at Xmas Island carried machine guns?
*Why did she overstate the instances of self harm from 1 to 10?
*Why did she recommend a 350K payout plus release from detention for a refugee convicted of the manslaughter of his wife as well as numerous other assaults?

DT for all the carrying on you did about Abbott's wink being overhyped, it's strange how fixated you are on Triggs.

I wish the search function worked better. I’d hazard a bet that about 99% of the references to “wink” or “Winkgate” are from one single poster, complaining about how much “everyone” is mentioning it.