Politics Thread

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Id say most of middle australia wouldnt have a clue who or what Trigg is/does.

I do think there are valid questions about the politicisation of her role, both now AND under the previous Gov.

I must admit I thought the commission was just another political think-tank that spat out partisan reports on request. You know like those groups that release economic reform suggestions for the Libs. They release some pretty wild stuff & then we end up with watered down version that look tame in comparison. I’d be surprised if many possibly any here knew who she was before the report.

BTW - who appointed her?

She came in under Labor (2012, was that Rudd?). Main report only handed down end of last year/start of this year.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Id say most of middle australia wouldnt have a clue who or what Trigg is/does.

I do think there are valid questions about the politicisation of her role, both now AND under the previous Gov.

I must admit I thought the commission was just another political think-tank that spat out partisan reports on request. You know like those groups that release economic reform suggestions for the Libs. They release some pretty wild stuff & then we end up with watered down version that look tame in comparison. I’d be surprised if many possibly any here knew who she was before the report.

BTW - who appointed her?

From the HRC website: Professor Gillian Triggs

Professor Gillian Triggs

Emeritus Professor Gillian Triggs is the President of the Australian Human Rights Commission, taking up her appointment by the Commonwealth Attorney-General in 2012. She was Dean of the Faculty of Law and Challis Professor of International Law at the University of Sydney from 2007-12 and Director of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law from 2005-7. She is a former Barrister with Seven Wentworth Chambers and a Governor of the College of Law.

Professor Triggs graduated in Law from the University of Melbourne in 1968 and gained a PhD in 1982. She has combined an academic career with international commercial legal practice and worked with governments and international organizations on human rights law. She hopes to focus her Presidency on the implementation in Australian law of the human rights treaties to which Australia is a party, and to work with nations in the Asia Pacific region on practical approaches to human rights.

Professor Triggs’ long-standing commitment to legal education will build upon the Commission’s efforts to inform Australians, especially children, about their fundamental human rights.

She has been a consultant on International Law to Mallesons Stephen Jaques, a Board Member of the Public Interest Law Clearing House (PILCH), the Australian representative on the Council of Jurists for the Asia Pacific Forum for National Human Rights Institutions, Chair of the Board of the Australian International Health Institute, a member of the Attorney General’s International Legal Service Advisory Council and Chair of the Council of Australian Law Deans.

Professor Triggs is married to Alan Brown AM, a former Australian diplomat, and has two children. She lives in Sydney.

Credit where due

Tone had a good week, continue on and start governing the country again

Quoted Post

Credit where due

No major fark ups and it is already Wednesday. Cross your fingers DT.

Quoted Post

Credit where due

Yep.
Consolidated well, which is certainly smarter than thrashing about and changing everything.

Problem is, look I don’t rate Kennett at all but I think he hit the nail on the head when he said what happened before will happen again, it’s just a matter of time, and everyone in the party knows it.

I’m not exactly sure what ‘happened’ in the first place.

Greatest media beat up of all time.

What happened is the Liberal Party got dangerously behind in the polls on 2PP, and people preferred ‘I dunno, someone’ to Abbott as Australian Prime Minister (a third of his own party did, too).

It was not close to a media beat up, let alone the greatest of all time.
I still say that belongs to the Herald-Sun for using their ‘National Disaster’ black background on the front page when Gillard had the gall to set an election date.

Besides the spill vote?

Quoted Post

What happened is the Liberal Party got dangerously behind in the polls on 2PP, and people preferred 'I dunno, someone' to Abbott as Australian Prime Minister (a third of his own party did, too).

I still say that belongs to the Herald-Sun for using their ‘National Disaster’ black background on the front page when Gillard had the gall to set an election date.

More than a third, 39% - 2 in every 5 Libs preferred < insert candidate here > to Tony Abbott.

I daresay if either Hockey or Bishop had stuck their hand up, they’d be PM by now.

Funny how much his popularity changes when he dumps his policies too.

While I accept that I don’t know enough about the environmental circumstances to comment on the necessity of the actions taken, it definitely IS disturbing that the Cape Otway koala cull was conducted in secret. I know that koalas were relocated rather than culled from my area due to over-population concerns about a decade ago (they disappeared entirely until about 2 years ago but now a smaller number have returned and there are locals who’ll tell you the concerns were exaggerated to begin with) and that Kangaroo Island introduced sterilisation and replanting programs a long time ago, so it’s not a new issue. I have read that the spread of coastal scrub in Cape Otway has had a devastating effect on the development of young trees suitable for koalas. You would hope that a decision to kill 700 koalas would be thoroughly and carefully considered in tandem with alternative non-lethal methods BUT it’s hard to see how that can happen if it’s kept secret.
I note that the current minister says future actions will be transparent, hope that’s the case.

Quoted Post

What happened is the Liberal Party got dangerously behind in the polls on 2PP, and people preferred 'I dunno, someone' to Abbott as Australian Prime Minister (a third of his own party did, too).

No - 1/3 wanted a spill motion.
2/3 did not.

A spill motion is not where you decide that you want person A over person B.

No, it is where they decide they don’t want who’s there.

over a third didn’t want him there.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

More than a third, 39% - 2 in every 5 Libs preferred < insert candidate here > to Tony Abbott.

I daresay if either Hockey or Bishop had stuck their hand up, they’d be PM by now.

You may be right but I suspect if given the same vote that a significant % of ALP members would vote against Shorten as leader. Its the nature of the beast that within a party you are never ever going to have full support often even within the same faction. While I would not dismiss 1/3 of the party voting against the leader I would imagine that approx 1/4 would be a reasonable number at any time who may believe a change would be better. We saw that very quickly in the ALP despite Rudd remaining popular with voters even after being disposed.

Clive has told Abbott to kill himself over the treatment of universities.

Stay classy big fella.

Quoted Post

I'm not exactly sure what 'happened' in the first place.

Hey DT, missed you at the march today.

There were about 20,000 of us all looking for you.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Most successful march ever for you guys.
Managed to stop cuts that haven’t even been proposed yet.

Quite an achievement.

We should have had #standbyhird after he was sacked too.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Most successful march ever for you guys.
Managed to stop cuts that haven’t even been proposed yet.

Quite an achievement.

So the Government did not propose a GP Tax or $100,000 university degrees?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

You may be right but I suspect if given the same vote that a significant % of ALP members would vote against Shorten as leader. Its the nature of the beast that within a party you are never ever going to have full support often even within the same faction. While I would not dismiss 1/3 of the party voting against the leader I would imagine that approx 1/4 would be a reasonable number at any time who may believe a change would be better. We saw that very quickly in the ALP despite Rudd remaining popular with voters even after being disposed.

Shorten actually got overwhelming support from his colleagues.

the rank and file including myself prefered Albanese.

that said I would now support Shorten in a ballot unless Plibersek or Wong ran.