Politics Thread

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
I'm not exactly sure what 'happened' in the first place.

Greatest media beat up of all time.

Hey DT, missed you at the march today.

There were about 20,000 of us all looking for you.

Most successful march ever for you guys.
Managed to stop cuts that haven’t even been proposed yet.

Quite an achievement.

So the Government did not propose a GP Tax or $100,000 university degrees?

But neither are going ahead.
You’re protesting policies that aren’t proceeding.

Seems rather pointless.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quite an achievement.

Seems rather pointless.

It’s called sending the message. Do it and you will no longer be in power.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quite an achievement.

Seems rather pointless.

Sending a message to not proceed with policies that are not proceeding.
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
What happened is the Liberal Party got dangerously behind in the polls on 2PP, and people preferred 'I dunno, someone' to Abbott as Australian Prime Minister (a third of his own party did, too).

It was not close to a media beat up, let alone the greatest of all time.
I still say that belongs to the Herald-Sun for using their ‘National Disaster’ black background on the front page when Gillard had the gall to set an election date.

More than a third, 39% - 2 in every 5 Libs preferred < insert candidate here > to Tony Abbott.

I daresay if either Hockey or Bishop had stuck their hand up, they’d be PM by now.

You may be right but I suspect if given the same vote that a significant % of ALP members would vote against Shorten as leader. Its the nature of the beast that within a party you are never ever going to have full support often even within the same faction. While I would not dismiss 1/3 of the party voting against the leader I would imagine that approx 1/4 would be a reasonable number at any time who may believe a change would be better. We saw that very quickly in the ALP despite Rudd remaining popular with voters even after being disposed.

Not 2/5ths, IMHO. I reckon a quarter or maybe a third would vote for Albo and I reckon Combet could've got plenty of support too, but not .

Not when he was running against “uuuhhhh… umm… anybody?” . That to me is a massive massive protest vote purely against Tony - not votes for anyone.
Less damaging than those votes going to Bishop or Hockey or Malcolm or whoever, but a fairly blunt message nonetheless. Hard to believe Tone didn’t take anything from it, he’s not that dumb.

Anyway, seems the leadership have been slightly more circumspect in their support of some of the less popular policies (GP tax etc).

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
What happened is the Liberal Party got dangerously behind in the polls on 2PP, and people preferred 'I dunno, someone' to Abbott as Australian Prime Minister (a third of his own party did, too).

It was not close to a media beat up, let alone the greatest of all time.
I still say that belongs to the Herald-Sun for using their ‘National Disaster’ black background on the front page when Gillard had the gall to set an election date.

More than a third, 39% - 2 in every 5 Libs preferred < insert candidate here > to Tony Abbott.

I daresay if either Hockey or Bishop had stuck their hand up, they’d be PM by now.

You may be right but I suspect if given the same vote that a significant % of ALP members would vote against Shorten as leader. Its the nature of the beast that within a party you are never ever going to have full support often even within the same faction. While I would not dismiss 1/3 of the party voting against the leader I would imagine that approx 1/4 would be a reasonable number at any time who may believe a change would be better. We saw that very quickly in the ALP despite Rudd remaining popular with voters even after being disposed.

Not 2/5ths, IMHO. I reckon a quarter or maybe a third would vote for Albo and I reckon Combet could've got plenty of support too, but not .

Not when he was running against “uuuhhhh… umm… anybody?” . That to me is a massive massive protest vote purely against Tony - not votes for anyone.
Less damaging than those votes going to Bishop or Hockey or Malcolm or whoever, but a fairly blunt message nonetheless. Hard to believe Tone didn’t take anything from it, he’s not that dumb.

Anyway, seems the leadership have been slightly more circumspect in their support of some of the less popular policies (GP tax etc).

I actually reckon if there was a vote for the Labor Federal Parliamentary Party Leader (and there can’t be unless Bill quits) that Bill Shorten would not be opposed or would win nearly every vote.

Love him or hate him, he has got them all working together and I have not seen a more united team ever, even way back to 1972.

Same actually goes for Victoria as well, Danny has them as one also.

Thats great to hear, problem is, I don’t think Bill has the chops to get elected without the Lib’s being in disarray. Just doesn’t have the charisma/gravitas.

Might be just me, as nobody commented when I brought up the bovver boy style speaking … eg: uvver wif or wiv etc. as well as the fluffed zingers, and the plate sized eye thing when he’s making a point.

Other than Wong or Pliber, which I wonder if the great majority wouldn’t now be a bit gun shy on a female PM given that they associate the debacle that was, with not just Gillard, but the gender, I’m not sure who I would choose, if I was to make the call.

I think I might land with Chris Bowen actually. Good communicator, clear & concise, doesn’t seem to fluster easily.

Andrew Leigh has always impressed me - very policy focused and has an excellent grasp of his portfolio, even if I don’t necessarily agree with him all the time. Not sure what he’s like as a speaker though, I’ve mostly seen his written stuff. A PM needs to be able to deliver a speech.

Would probably be a very good treasurer at some stage though.

If any party can’t have a female leader after Gillard, no man should ever be within cooee of the top job.

Quoted Post

Andrew Leigh has always impressed me - very policy focused and has an excellent grasp of his portfolio, even if I don't necessarily agree with him all the time. Not sure what he's like as a speaker though, I've mostly seen his written stuff. A PM needs to be able to deliver a speech.

Agree, he was good on Q n A Monday night.

Quoted Post

Andrew Leigh has always impressed me - very policy focused and has an excellent grasp of his portfolio, even if I don't necessarily agree with him all the time. Not sure what he's like as a speaker though, I've mostly seen his written stuff. A PM needs to be able to deliver a speech.

Both Andrew Leigh and Chris Bowen are economists.

My Dad who never had that much to say, once told me that he would rather see me become a Prison Guard, Parking Officer or Insurance Salesman, because if I became an economist he would disown me.

Quoted Post

He is well spoken & makes a good public speaker, the trouble is ‘his smile’.

It’s got that insincere, almost creepy, used car saleman look about it.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quite an achievement.

Seems rather pointless.

Had there been proper and widespread consultation in the first place, there wouldn’t have been the policies to begin with.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quite an achievement.

Seems rather pointless.

Had there been proper and widespread consultation in the first place, there wouldn’t have been the policies to begin with.

You vote, how much more consultation you want?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Quite an achievement.

Seems rather pointless.

You vote, how much more consultation you want?

Beautiful sarcasm.

Ok, it’s getting to the point that everyone is laughing at us now. And seeing it through their eyes I just have to revisit the feeling I had when I realised he was actually going to be given the most important job in the country. Anyway, enjoy. It is very funny but it’s pretty awkward too :S

He isnt the national Test captain.

Quoted Post

Was he the Labor bloke on Q&A on Monday, Shadow Assistant Tresurer or something, because I thought he was extremely poor on Q&A, everything he said sounded like it was a heavily focus grouped, sound bite. There was just something about his presentation that was really off putting, it felt like he was trying to take me for a ride whenever he opened his mouth.

Quoted Post

He isnt the national Test captain.

Correction. Second most important.

that little voice in me won’t shut up- the one that is saying

‘yeah but they are kingpins that push products, aimed at destroying and killing our communities and they knew the rules’

The irony today of our pollies pleading out the front of canberra house, whilst also announcing additional funding in VIC towards ICE programs

cept they weren’t the ‘kingpins’…