Politics Thread

Quoted Post

Nice one Tone, way to insult and degrade the original community of Australia. "Lifestyle choice" is not the words one should choose when discussing the cultural history of Indigenous Australia.

Yep many Aussies make that “Lifestyle Choice” to live in poverty and degradation. Beats me why they don’t all choose to live in Toorak.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Nice one Tone, way to insult and degrade the original community of Australia. "Lifestyle choice" is not the words one should choose when discussing the cultural history of Indigenous Australia.

Yep many Aussies make that “Lifestyle Choice” to live in poverty and degradation. Beats me why they don’t all choose to live in Toorak.

Reminds me of when I was at a xmas lunch as a teenager and there was vision on the TV of starving Ethiopians. My uncle, always the most tactful one of the family, came out and said “I can’t see why they just don’t go out and get a job.” Bang! World problems solved. So simple.

Might I suggest that people read the context of his remarks instead of browsing the headline of The Guardian or Green Left Weekly or Twitter or whatever.

Laughable that Abbott gets branded as some sort of racist. Probably does more for the indigenous community on his own than the rest of the Parliament combined.

You get the feeling that the ‘outrage’ community would prefer they live in squalor so they have a little cause to shout about at dinner parties.

Might I suggest that people read the context of his remarks instead of browsing the headline of The Guardian or Green Left Weekly or Twitter or whatever.

Laughable that Abbott gets branded as some sort of racist. Probably does more for the indigenous community on his own than the rest of the Parliament combined.

You get the feeling that the ‘outrage’ community would prefer they live in squalor so they have a little cause to shout about at dinner parties.

for example???

Even DT didn’t put any thought or effort into that post. Don’t give it any attention PRE.

He just had to say something.

Quoted Post

for example???

He abolished the carbon tax and stopped the boats for them

Quoted Post

for example???

He does a week volunteering in remote Aboriginal communities once a year and has been doing it for a decade.
He doesn’t publicize it.

Perhaps someone can let me know what the likes of Rudd. Gillard, Plibersek, Shorten and Wong do.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

for example???

He abolished the carbon tax and stopped the boats for them

I bet when the first australian wives are doing the ironing they say a silent thanks to tone.

How many stupid things does this guy need to say before he wakes up?

LOL and there he goes with the party line and ignoring the facts.

I have read the full point of what he was saying and what he said was offensive and bordered on being racist.

This is not about some white people who just don’t want to work and prefer to spend their days surfing in north Queensland and NSW central coast and expect the tax-payers to help them do it.

This is about a people group who have traditionally lived off the land and had a productive society built around community living and teaching. What the Prime Minister wants them to do is to become white people who work a 9-5 job and have highly educated children who can add back to society in taxes and if they won’t do that then they can fend for themselves. That is old colonialism at it’s racist worst.

And on top of that we start seeing the real reason this is actually happening in Western Australia…

Traditional owners in Western Australia are set to launch a class action lawsuit against the State Government over the deregistration of sacred Indigenous sites.

In the past year several culturally significant sites, including waterways in the Mid West, have had their protection withdrawn by the Government on the basis they no longer fit the definition of a sacred site.

Minister for Aboriginal Affairs Peter Collier told Parliament late last year that for a place to be considered a sacred site, it must show it was devoted to religious use rather than just be a place of mythological story, song or belief.

The decision to deregister several sites was sparked by development applications from mining and exploration companies.

That last line should tell everyone in clear and concise tones exactly what is going on in Western Australia.

I feel like we are going back in time to pre-60’s white Australia with it’s desire to take that which does not belong to them.

And the attacks are also happening in the NT:

Quoted Post

What was the context?
Quoted Post

for example???

He does a week volunteering in remote Aboriginal communities once a year and has been doing it for a decade.
He doesn’t publicize it.

Perhaps someone can let me know what the likes of Rudd. Gillard, Plibersek, Shorten and Wong do.

fair enough then. good on him.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

What was the context?

Indeed. Or, to make it even easier, in what context is it acceptable to label this a “lifestyle choice”?

Quoted Post

I have read the full point of what he was saying and what he said was offensive and bordered on being racist.

This is not about some white people who just don’t want to work and prefer to spend their days surfing in north Queensland and NSW central coast and expect the tax-payers to help them do it.

This is about a people group who have traditionally lived off the land and had a productive society built around community living and teaching. What the Prime Minister wants them to do is to become white people who work a 9-5 job and have highly educated children who can add back to society in taxes and if they won’t do that then they can fend for themselves. That is old colonialism at it’s racist worst.

Absolute bullocks.

If Abbott cured cancer you would be offended.

Starting to wonder if Credlin is a double agent, lol. The advice this blokes getting politically -if any- is terrible.

I do think responsibility for remote communities would be up there with middle east peace negotiator for thankless tasks. Im not sure that there are any answers, let alone simple ones. But from my viewpoint, the “lifestyle” line ignores that for many its probably more a “survival choice”. We as footy fans should well understand that for many remote dwellers it would literally be impossible to survive - emotionally, spiritually and practically - in the major population centres. How we balance it all, i dont claim to know. Indigenous leaders dont seem to be any less split on it either.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Absolute bullocks.

It is not me that is offended it is the entire Aboriginal people who are offended and they come out and said so. Don’t be a ■■■■ just because, actually stop and use your brain and think about what is being said to you for a change. Stop towing some artificial party line and realise that real people are involved and are hurt by having their cultural ways labelled as “lifestyle choices”. They lived that way for a long time before we came on the scene and called them lazy and tried to change the way they lived before deciding it would be easy to steal, rape and destroy them instead.

Now we seem to be going back in the same direction and you seem rather supportive of such behaviour.

To help DT understand:

Chair of the Prime Minister’s Indigenous Advisory Council Warren Mundine said it was not as “simple” as the Prime Minister had described.

“These people are actually living on their homelands and it affects a lot of things, it affects their cultural activities, it affects their native title, it affects a number of areas,” he told Radio National.

“It’s not as simple as … if someone from Sydney decides to have a treechange and go and live in the bush. It’s about their life, it’s about their very essence, it’s about their very culture.”

Quoted Post

Starting to wonder if Credlin is a double agent, lol. The advice this blokes getting politically -if any- is terrible.

I do think responsibility for remote communities would be up there with middle east peace negotiator for thankless tasks. Im not sure that there are any answers, let alone simple ones. But from my viewpoint, the “lifestyle” line ignores that for many its probably more a “survival choice”. We as footy fans should well understand that for many remote dwellers it would literally be impossible to survive - emotionally, spiritually and practically - in the major population centres. How we balance it all, i dont claim to know. Indigenous leaders dont seem to be any less split on it either.

Agree, its a thankless task.

However handing money hand over fist so that remote people can continue to live in squalor and more often than not violent communities is not the way to make progress.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Absolute bullocks.

It is not me that is offended it is the entire Aboriginal people who are offended and they come out and said so. Don’t be a ■■■■ just because, actually stop and use your brain and think about what is being said to you for a change. Stop towing some artificial party line and realise that real people are involved and are hurt by having their cultural ways labelled as “lifestyle choices”. They lived that way for a long time before we came on the scene and called them lazy and tried to change the way they lived before deciding it would be easy to steal, rape and destroy them instead.

Now we seem to be going back in the same direction and you seem rather supportive of such behaviour.

Go and visit a remote community. Your fantasised notion of how these remote communities live will soon be destroyed. Why you would want people to continue to exist in this way beggars belief.