Politics

Back in 2015, the electorate wanted Turnbull but a majority of the Libs wanted Abbott policies. The Libs got rid of Abbot, but bound Turnbull to Abbott's policies. Now the electorate has Turnbull with Abbott's policies, but have made it clear they're not happy with that. The Libs seem to have decided that the solution to their problem is to get rid of Turnbull (who was implementing Abbott's policies), and replace him with someone more like Abbott, who will implement policies very close to Abbott's.

Do you think it’s ever occurred to them that it’s the policies that are the problem?

Interesting. As usual and in unison with your Labour disciples on this site, are you aware that Liberal have won the last 2 elections? The Labour victory before that was on a knife edge and won on a disgraceful lie around doing a deal with the Greens to implement a carbon tax when it was promised not to do so.

Clearly there is a political party with bigger “problems” than the Liberals.

You guys will keep being staggered when people like Trump win simply because you close out everything else outside of your lefty bubble.

Are you saying the Libs are just dandy?

What farkin bubble is that you’re in?

They are Labor’s worst revisited. Lies, lies, power, backflips, pm knifing and now sniping sitting pm. I’m not Labor but you are farkin rusted on right.

Once again, dyslexia amongst lefties appears to be rampant. Read the last line again.

Pretty sure I just acknowledged the poor form of a left govt followed by right doing the same. Can you please explain why the Libs are ok to you?

Once again, dyslexia amongst lefties appears to be rampant. Read the last line again.

In an effort to try and stop me just needing to cut and paste the same line again and again, where did I say they were ok?

Won two elections
Clearly there are parties with bigger issues

No, I guess you didn’t use the exact term ok but you did paint a picture of a disfunctional and untrustworthy left with absolutely no mention of the asterisks assigned to the right.

The three elections you mentioned the right winning included a lying candidate that was so disliked he was knifed, a new PM who won by a seat and a republican that won although lost the majority of individual votes.

Worth mentioning in my mind.

Ah, nice to know you can criticise a government department, but, they may release your records...

Wait for the “She would have nothing to worry about if she has nothing to hide”.

■■■■■■ reprehensible.

Again, I have no problem with a government department correcting false claims against them.
If that’s all they’re doing.

Yeah I know. But there are ways and means.

This smacks too much of how ASADA behaved as a 'model litigant". Do we really want govt departments to release private information as a first recourse?

Considering some of the Centrelink “clients” may not have highest intellects in Australia, even if they are wrong about a claim they may not realise that. Centrelink’s robocops may not be great at explaining, and its human staff have been told to back off (or words to that effect).

I think that’s a fair point.
As you say, you’d hope it’s a last resort after several attempts at mediation.

In a case like you’re describing a quiet word to the journalist along the lines of, ‘Come on, mate. You know they’re not the full quid. Don’t exploit them,’ actually works.

Ah, nice to know you can criticise a government department, but, they may release your records...

Wait for the “She would have nothing to worry about if she has nothing to hide”.

■■■■■■ reprehensible.

Again, I have no problem with a government department correcting false claims against them.
If that’s all they’re doing.

Yeah I know. But there are ways and means.

This smacks too much of how ASADA behaved as a 'model litigant". Do we really want govt departments to release private information as a first recourse?

Considering some of the Centrelink “clients” may not have highest intellects in Australia, even if they are wrong about a claim they may not realise that. Centrelink’s robocops may not be great at explaining, and its human staff have been told to back off (or words to that effect).

Trip, PP2 has already called you out on the clear falsehoods about polling in general, but even the most trifling google tells you that in early 2015 Abbot's personal popularity was 27% (vs Shorten at 44%) and the ALP led the Libs 57-43. Polling predictably gets it wrong to a margin of error of a couple of percent, but not by THAT much.

I had a bit of a laugh about your defence of Dutton though. Can you name someone that you DO think is a right wing looney? I’m a Greens voter and I’ll happily admit that Lee Rhiannon and the dogs breakfast of aging delusional commies and hippie vaccine deniers that sneak their way into the greens in NSW especially are loopy elements on my side of politics that we’d be better off without. Who (if anyone) in Australian politics is too extreme on the far right for you?

Only one that really comes to mind is Malcolm Roberts.
He has some fairly interesting conspiracy theories.

Other than that people like Dutton are far more representative of the average Australian than what you may think. But if you surround yourself with like minded people and only read the Guardian then of course you will have a warped sense of what is important to the average person.

If Dutton is an image of the average Australian, then I’m trapped in an episode of the Walking Dead.

You mustn’t have to mix with the bogans and the plebs in suburbia too much then.

Dutton is a heartless person.

It is an absolute blight that he is in leadership discussions.

Well, that’s convinced me. :confused:

You’d think if the ALP thought Dutton was any sort of threat they’d have hammered him over sending that GP and his family back to Bangladesh.

Well, that’s convinced me. :confused:

You think Dutton is centre. I would like you to point out why you feel that way. Do that, convince me and I’ll do similar. Ok?

She got her visa after all, decision taken by Hawkes, Dutton’s junior minister

Centrelink have to be kidding. I hope there is a QC offering pro bono to this woman.
And this is the government who says it can be trusted with your meta data.

Centrelink recipient’s data released by department to counter public criticism

Senior government officials have approved the release of a Centrelink recipient’s personal information to counter her public criticism of the department.

Welfare recipient Andie Fox wrote an article for Fairfax Media earlier this month setting out her difficulties dealing with the agency after she began receiving calls from a debt collector.

But, over the weekend, she was shocked to discover details of her interactions with Centrelink and claim history set out – with some information she says is incorrect – in a separate article by Fairfax Media.

The article, headlined “Centrelink is an easy target for complaining but there are two sides to every story”, used information released by Centrelink to challenge Fox’s claims.

Fox has now questioned whether the department breached her privacy. She has lodged complaints with Centrelink and other organisations about the release of her personal information.

“It’s an incredibly disturbing event,” she told Guardian Australia.

The department confirmed that Fox’s personal information was approved for release to Fairfax Media. It said it was necessary to correct the public record about several inaccurate claims Fox had made.

The information was approved for release by a deputy secretary. The department’s head of legal services and general counsel both said they were comfortable with the release of the information. It was then provided to Fairfax Media by the office of the human services minister, Alan Tudge.

Ordinarily it would be an offence for social services staff to disclose “protected information” held by the agency, which would include a person’s Centrelink details. But the secretary has a broad discretionary power to release information “to such persons and for such purposes” as they deem fit.

The Greens senator Scott Ludlam said on Twitter the decision to release the information was “sick” and that “whoever authorised this hostile drop deserves to spend some time in the #centrelink queue themselves”.

Under Australia’s privacy principles an organisation or government entity must not use or disclose personal information without the consent of the person.

The privacy commissioner can order a range of remedies, including compensation, if a ruling is made that a person’s privacy has been breached.

But an exception to the prohibition on disclosure exists if the government entity “is required or authorised by or under an Australian law”, which could limit the success of any complaint relating to Centrelink’s release of information.

Fox’s welfare debt was not raised through the much-criticised automated debt recovery system.

Back in 2015, the electorate wanted Turnbull but a majority of the Libs wanted Abbott policies. The Libs got rid of Abbot, but bound Turnbull to Abbott's policies. Now the electorate has Turnbull with Abbott's policies, but have made it clear they're not happy with that. The Libs seem to have decided that the solution to their problem is to get rid of Turnbull (who was implementing Abbott's policies), and replace him with someone more like Abbott, who will implement policies very close to Abbott's.

Do you think it’s ever occurred to them that it’s the policies that are the problem?

Interesting. As usual and in unison with your Labour disciples on this site, are you aware that Liberal have won the last 2 elections? The Labour victory before that was on a knife edge and won on a disgraceful lie around doing a deal with the Greens to implement a carbon tax when it was promised not to do so.

You guys will keep being staggered when people like Trump win simply because you close out everything else outside of your lefty bubble.

Centrelink have to be kidding. I hope there is a QC offering pro bono to this woman. And this is the government who says it can be trusted with your meta data.

Centrelink recipient’s data released by department to counter public criticism

Senior government officials have approved the release of a Centrelink recipient’s personal information to counter her public criticism of the department.

Welfare recipient Andie Fox wrote an article for Fairfax Media earlier this month setting out her difficulties dealing with the agency after she began receiving calls from a debt collector.

But, over the weekend, she was shocked to discover details of her interactions with Centrelink and claim history set out – with some information she says is incorrect – in a separate article by Fairfax Media.

The article, headlined “Centrelink is an easy target for complaining but there are two sides to every story”, used information released by Centrelink to challenge Fox’s claims.

Fox has now questioned whether the department breached her privacy. She has lodged complaints with Centrelink and other organisations about the release of her personal information.

“It’s an incredibly disturbing event,” she told Guardian Australia.

The department confirmed that Fox’s personal information was approved for release to Fairfax Media. It said it was necessary to correct the public record about several inaccurate claims Fox had made.

The information was approved for release by a deputy secretary. The department’s head of legal services and general counsel both said they were comfortable with the release of the information. It was then provided to Fairfax Media by the office of the human services minister, Alan Tudge.

Ordinarily it would be an offence for social services staff to disclose “protected information” held by the agency, which would include a person’s Centrelink details. But the secretary has a broad discretionary power to release information “to such persons and for such purposes” as they deem fit.

The Greens senator Scott Ludlam said on Twitter the decision to release the information was “sick” and that “whoever authorised this hostile drop deserves to spend some time in the #centrelink queue themselves”.

Under Australia’s privacy principles an organisation or government entity must not use or disclose personal information without the consent of the person.

The privacy commissioner can order a range of remedies, including compensation, if a ruling is made that a person’s privacy has been breached.

But an exception to the prohibition on disclosure exists if the government entity “is required or authorised by or under an Australian law”, which could limit the success of any complaint relating to Centrelink’s release of information.

Fox’s welfare debt was not raised through the much-criticised automated debt recovery system.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with it at face value.
Hospitals are often attacked by kooks making stuff up to the press.
It’s very rarely used, too rarely in my opinion, but Hospitals do have the ability to publicly discuss medical records without consent where inaccurate claims are being made that could affect confidence in the service.

Only slightly analogous, but still…if she’s been called on some bullshit then I’m fine with it.

They are Labor’s worst revisited. Lies, lies, power, backflips, pm knifing and now sniping sitting pm. I’m not Labor but you are farkin rusted on right.

Ah, nice to know you can criticise a government department, but, they may release your records…

Pretty sure I just acknowledged the poor form of a left govt followed by right doing the same. Can you please explain why the Libs are ok to you?

Not more of this nonsense, Trump is such a mythological beast that can’t be explained in any other way than that he’s a hero representing a groundswell of the under trodden and forgotten people and we all better sit up and take notice. If I don’t believe so I live in a leftist bubble, that will be used in all arguments for the next 4 years to show how stupid I am.

Do you muppets realise Trump was representing the god damn REPUBLICAN PARTY, its hardly a freakin fringe group.

Post WW 11there has been 19 US elections for 10 republican and 9 democrat wins. Only once has there been a party win 3 times in a row, Reagan twice then Bush. Going by that, its pretty ■■■■■■ probable that republicans should have been expected to win.

Trumps win was not out of the ordinary, in fact if republicans had put up a normal candidate they would have romped home. Stop with this nonsense already!

One thing about Dutton is that he’ll make Abbott seem like a genial, nice guy.

That would then give me 4 major parties I wouldn’t vote for under any circumstances.

Not more of this nonsense, Trump is such a mythological beast that can't be explained in any other way than that he's a hero representing a groundswell of the under trodden and forgotten people and we all better sit up and take notice. If I don't believe so I live in a leftist bubble, that will be used in all arguments for the next 4 years to show how stupid I am.

Do you muppets realise Trump was representing the god damn REPUBLICAN PARTY, its hardly a freakin fringe group.

Post WW 11there has been 19 US elections for 10 republican and 9 democrat wins. Only once has there been a party win 3 times in a row, Reagan twice then Bush. Going by that, its pretty ■■■■■■ probable that republicans should have been expected to win.

Trumps win was not out of the ordinary, in fact if republicans had put up a normal candidate they would have romped home. Stop with this nonsense already!

Not out of the ordinary but everyone was picking Clinton…
Can you give me a definition of something that isn’t ordinary then?

Seems to be a common symptom with a few of them.