Politics

Pauline Hanson says Australians want Vladimir Putin’s style of leadership

Pauline Hanson has backed penalty rate cuts, reasserted her respect for Vladimir Putin and described successive governments’ vaccination policies as blackmail.

The One Nation leader asked for proof of Russian involvement in the downing of flight MH17, which killed 298 people, including 38 Australians.

“Did he push the button?” she said. “My comments were I respect the man. He is very patriotic towards his country, the people love him, he is doing so well for the country. So many Australians here want that leadership here in Australia.”

And Hanson was critical of the government’s coercive vaccination programs. She advised parents to test their children before vaccinations because some parents reported problems.

“What I don’t like about it is the blackmailing that’s happening with the government,” Hanson said. “Don’t do that to people. That’s a dictatorship. I think people have a right to investigate themselves.”

Hanson, who bills herself as an outsider who rejects major party politics, also advised the LNP dissident George Christensen not to desert the Coalition because it would destabilise the Coalition government.

In her first interview on the ABC’s Insiders program since her return to politics, Hanson said she had not changed her policies since she first entered politics in the 1990s – a marked contrast with the Liberal party’s position.

While John Howard refused to swap preferences with One Nation during his term, the senior Liberal minister Arthur Sinodinos defended the WA Liberals’ deal because “the One Nation of today is a very different beast to what it was 20 years ago”.

Hanson said the only difference after 20 years in politics was she was more informed but her policies had not changed and she cited immigration – though her target had refocused from the Asian community to the Muslim community.

“I have grown with it, I think become a bit older, a bit wiser and better informed with politics,” Hanson said. “This time around I’m not just the independent on the lower house floor, I’m a senator with three other senators with me.”

Her comments come as Malcolm Turnbull visited western Queensland as part of an ongoing campaign to shore up Coalition MPs against the rising popularity of One Nation.

As Labor and the unions prepare to campaign against the government on the Fair Work Commission’s decision to cut penalty rates, Hanson spoke out in support of the rate cut that would see a pay cut to hundreds of thousands of low wage workers.

Asked if she supported the cut, Hanson said, “I think, in principle, yes, I do”.

When it was suggested a lot of her supporters would be impacted by the decision, Hanson said “I’m hoping to give small businesses a chance for growth”. She said low-income workers would be still be getting a wage.

Hanson said, as a former business owner, she had sympathy for small businesses that had to compete with larger companies like McDonald’s, which could negotiate enterprise bargaining agreements with unions for lower wages.

“How can you expect someone to pay $34 an hour in wages in a takeaway shop, food retail, yet McDonald’s are paying $26,” Hanson said. “Where is the union jumping up and down for the battlers?”

Her argument was in stark contrast to the Coalition, which has steadfastly refused to argue either way on the penalty rate decision, saying only it was the decision of an independent umpire.

Bill Shorten, who before the decision said he would support the FWC’s decision, attacked the Coalition all week for not blocking the penalty rate cut. Labor and the Greens have urged the Coalition to block the rate cut in parliament.

“This government is doing nothing about addressing this whole issue and Labor are a bunch of hypocrites,” Hanson said. “I think if we looked at it, we might be able to increase employment by helping small business.”

Hanson warned the government could not rely on her support for the company tax cut package announced in the 2016 budget. Hanson said she would prefer to get rid of state payroll taxes, which she said were a tax on employment. She said the treasurer, Scott Morrison, had told her the states would not “come to the table”.

As the Coalition struggles with a one-seat majority, Hanson had some surprising advice for Christensen, who had repeatedly threatened he would leave the Coalition unless his areas of concern were addressed.

“I advise him, stay where you are, because if he jumps ship, it will destabilise the government and I don’t believe the people want that and they would not want it from me,” she said.

“Stabilise the government, because we need that. Then he can decide his future. If he actually then says, ‘No, I’ve had enough, I can’t stay with the National party, they are not representing my electorate, what I want’, of course. If he wants to come across to One Nation, I’m not going to say no but I am not encouraging him.”

Of the WA election next weekend, Hanson said he expected to win seats in her own right in the upper house.

She said the WA Liberal-One Nation preference swap had come about because the Liberal party had changed its position on preferences with her party – not the other way around. She rejected criticism from some of her own candidates for dealing with the Liberal party.

“I have no problem with saying that because it is our best chance of getting One Nation candidates selected to the floor of parliament. Of course, who is not going to do it?”

Pauline reveals all - that ON will support the government, in return for that preference deal in the WA elections. She said as much in interview in the Guardian of 5 March.
She is her usual contradictory self , supporting Putin style Givernment while ranting about government interference in punishing the anti-vaxxers.
The scary thing is that how much the government will compromise with her to secure ON vote in Senate on key bills.
ON may be a virtual part of the Coalition to that extent, so long as it can maintain a few Senate seats. So much for the double dissolution which was premised on reducing the power and influence of minority parties.

6 Likes

Also according to Pawwwline on Insiders, penalty rates being cut from 175% to 150% is a ‘quarter of a percent cut’.

4 Likes

Ant-vacc, pro-Putin.
And the truly terrifying thing is she attracts substantial support.

3 Likes

partially fixed

5 Likes

Fully amended …

I am in Singapore at present, and I turned on the TV in my Hotel room to see Pauline Hansen being interviewed. Hope done of my customers I will be visiting this week here watched her.

She was at her best explaining the problems of Asian Immigration and her other strange views.

I was slack jawed & shaking my head in total disbelief at her answers to BC’s questions… the only saving grace, was that she was actually trying to back pedal a bit on the more stupid stuff she’d said in the past. Also noticed she had some well prepared “Political” type answers ready to go for some things, which didn’t quite make sense, but were clearly phrased to keep the base happy. Even through the cracked unsure voice, she has picked up a tad of Political savvy, … let’s hope that’s as good as she get’s, …o/wise, she could become very fkn dangerous.

1 Like

Criticizes Aussie politics sayying vaccination program it run like a dictatorship. Says Australia wants / needs Putin-style leadership.

Conflict much?

2 Likes

It’s collected on a contingency basis, so the agencies get a % of the monies they collect, or they charge fees i.e to make a call or send a letter.

Agencies use their own staff, Probe use mainly low paid workers in the Philippines, and some onshore agents for the more heavy duty calls.

They initially use tax office data to try and collect the debt, but may update their records from 3rd party data washing services or credit bureaus like Veda.

1 Like

I don’t think self-awareness is a strength of the alt-right.

2 Likes

My last job was with Veda. Most of the people I worked with were pretty good…except for the few ■■■■ Carlton fans. I didn’t work anywhere near the debt collection stuff though…I think they made a bit of a blue if they thought the data collection guys would be allowed within a bull’s roar of the superannuation data we were accessing. Totally separate database servers.

I have an issue with anybody selling the debts to debt collection agencies before they’ve made at least two efforts to collect the debt themselves.

I have a problem with them selling debts to debt collection agencies for less than they are prepared to accept from the debtor.

1 Like

yeah the collection agencies can access your credit bureau details for new adress and phone info, IF they are collecting on behalf of someone who is a credit provider. Cannot get into any other data (supposedly)

No-one would buy debt at anywhere near what original credit provider is wiling to accept, as most sold debt has had a least one internal attempt to collect, and when you buy a book of debt realistically you’d only get a small percentage that will pay.

Should be able to negotiate to buy your own debt.

1 Like

you’ll find you sorta can when a agency buy’s your debt. They usually are willing to accept fairly heavily reduced settlements .

1 Like

The problem is that that the media have been sucked in by Turnbull’s attack on her ant-vaxx statement, instead of honing in on the cosy deals struck between ON and the Libs.
Turnbull and others keep saying they have nothing to do with the WA preference deal as the Stae Libs act autonomously. Yet the senior statesman Howard has cone out in support.

1 Like

That’s far worse than the time she put forward the idea of just printing more money to solve national debt. Imagine letting her anywhere near a budget? I can’t even figure out how she got it that wrong. Primary school stuff. Because 25% is a quarter? Farking scary, really.

Pauline Hanson’s latest attack on Islam: ‘Line up a number of Muslims, who’s the good one?’

In an extraordinary interview that appeared to leave even A Current Affair host Tracy Grimshaw stunned at times, Senator Hanson denied her views were extreme and said she was speaking for ordinary Australians when she voiced fears the country was being overrun by Muslims.
“I hear Australians that have lived just nice, quiet lives in their suburbs and then they’ve had Muslims come in there who have changed their suburbs,” Ms Hanson told the program.

“They’ve built these mosques and they have their cars parked across the driveway or they have rubbish thrown over their fences.
“Or they go and knock on their door because they won’t move out and threaten them. ‘Listen mate, you better take this suitcase full of cash and get out of here.’ It’s having an impact on our educational system and, you know, in our schools and our swimming baths. [It’s] their attitude.
“The burqa should absolutely go. This is Australia.
“The full face covering I think is wrong. If they want to live that way and have their sharia law, then I suggest they go to a Muslim country.”
Asked if she believed there were any “good Muslims” living in Australia, Ms Hanson suggested they were difficult to spot.
“I believe there are some that want to live a good life and a quiet life,” she said. “But you tell me — you line up a number of Muslims, who’s the good one?”

Ms Hanson, who has sparked a war of words with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull in recent days over her support of parents who refuse to vaccinate their children, also said Australia was at risk of becoming a “third-world country” if the major parties did not get their act together.
“The grumbling from the people — they’re actually fed up with both sides of politics, whether it be Liberal, Labor or the Nationals, and they certainly don’t want the Greens.
“’People actually want to see One Nation in power. And that’s what I’m picking up all the time.”
One Nation is expected to do well in the WA election this weekend, and is also set to win seats in Ms Hanson’s home state of Queensland.
Asked if she would be prepared to form government at some point in the future, Ms Hanson warned she was prepared to play the long game.
“I do [have the capacity to form government] … but look, it won’t be at this election.”

Democracy 2017 - the tyranny of the ignorant.

1 Like