Politics

Or ignorant dumb ■■■■■

1 Like

Are you ashamed to be Australian ?? What a disgraceful thing for our Prime Minister to even think !!

I am sometimes.

Mainly when we tell people they can’t come here (as a country recently invaded)
When we tell people that Christian values are more important than personal freedom
When we ignore 60,000 years of history
And when we preach fair go

3 Likes

I get what you are saying, but I often get ashamed of our Government, and sometimes with the Opposition; and get angry at the racists and bigots that abound, but I never feel ashamed to be Australian.

Always proud to be a Bomber supporter as well.

Tastes better than kale.

1 Like

You mustn’t have had conversations with people from outside Australia which highlight some of our hypocrisy “as a Nation”

It may be more shaming than ashamed but it upsets me.

On 1 May 1997 Tasmania became the final Australian jurisdiction to repeal its anti-homosexuality laws, passing the Tasmanian Legislative Council by one vote.

Should be a celebration.
Twenty years ago a blow-job could get you twenty years.
That’s something to be proud of.

Malcolm The Boneless announces he’s becoming more of a Redneck populist than even his own party thought possible. Resident redneck racist E12 is pleased.

On the contrary Beast, I travel a great deal. In Europe in particular, have been attacked for the very poor environmental positions of our Government. In Malaysia and Indonesia there is great ridicule of the double standards of our Government with regards to immigration and treatment of indigenous Australians and refugees.

But in all my travels have not heard criticism of Australia and our people, except from Pommies who don’t count anyway.

1 Like

but not as good as Pears.

Queensland elections coming up, channeling Trump, Pauline claiming all the credit.
The citizenship tests floated are racist dog whistling.
Dutton continues with his lies and misrepresentations. I thought our values were supposed to be based on a fair go.

For a few years in the 70’s maybe.

1 Like

Yeah I agree with that. My point is more that you can try and seperate yourself from your country’s doings but in the end they are a reflection on your nationality. Hence my shame at times

Interesting examples you use there, the Malays are world leaders in an immigration utopia - I guess, unless you are Han Chinese. makeup 25% of the population and face discrimination and violence by the indigenous population.

They over represent in business and politics, so perhaps it is part jealousy. Quite often their business are vandalised/ set on fire - heard many stories from my Malay Chinese friend (who migrated here - and loves Australia for that reason)

4 Likes

FARKEN’ LUV ME SOME 'STRAYAN VALUES.

That was not compulsory. Edward G chose to go early.

Would love for someone to show me the list of these ‘values’ and what it means to be Australian. So far there seems to be quite a few definitions and entries that change from list to list.

The same would be great if we could tie down what this nebulous ‘ANZAC spirit’ is. A lot of what is associated with this spirit seems to be odds with some entries and definitions on Straya lists by the people who talk most loudly about both.

And before anybody starts, I’m not having a go at the individuals who have and do serve this country. I’m having a go at those people who use what they do as ■■■■ in a PR/nationalism game

3 Likes

Pesticides authority head resigns after forced relocation to Barnaby Joyce’s electorate

Kareena Arthy’s departure comes after 20% of regulatory scientists abandoned Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines authority in recent months

Kareena Arthy, the chief executive of the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority, informed ​ the deputy prime minister of her decision on Thursday afternoon.

It leaves the APVMA bereft of leadership in a tumultuous time for the agency, with 20 of 100 regulatory scientists having already abandoned the agency in recent months. A spokeswoman for the APVMA said she could not comment.

It comes days after the Turnbull government’s surprise announcement that it wants to decentralise as many government departments as possible, moving the positions of city-based public servants to Australia’s regions in a dramatic reshaping of the bureaucracy.

Fiona Nash, the minister for regional development, said on Wednesday government departments would soon be asked to justify why they thought they were unsuitable for decentralisation if they did not want to relocate.

She called on corporate Australia to join the decentralisation drive, flagging it as a “long-term project”.

She said rural, regional and remote Australians deserved the careers and flow-on benefits offered by departments as much as capital city Australians did.​ Joyce’s office said it did not want to comment on Arthy’s resignation.

Joel Fitzgibbon, the shadow minister for agriculture, said Arthy’s decision to leave the organisation was a “huge blow” to existing staff, Agvet companies, and farmers.

“Ms Arthy is highly regarded and respected,” he said.

“Industry leaders will be fuming about this latest sad chapter in Barnaby Joyce’s relocation pork barrel.

“Ms Arthy’s departure will further undermine confidence in the APVMA and will most likely see more managers, scientists and lawyers follow her lead.

“The APVMA is crumbling before our eyes with financial costs of the relocation rising. It’s past time the Prime Minister acted by stepping in,” he said.

Joyce has faced sustained criticism for forcing the APVMA to relocate to his electorate of New England in NSW, which he announced during the federal election.

It provoked accusations of pork-barrelling, with the government’s own cost-benefit analysis showing the move would cost taxpayers $25.6m.

Joyce defended the move last month, following reports that public servants had been working out of McDonald’s in Armidale because of a lack of suitable office facilities.

On Thursday, Joyce said the government’s broader decentralisation plan would help public servants find more affordable housing as they moved to regional areas.

He dismissed the idea that the plan ought to be subject to a cost-benefit analysis, saying that shouldn’t be the sole determinant of government decisions.

Can of worms !!!

I hear the same questions at ALP meetings about the “Labor values” and Labor core principles" ; and you never get agreement on what they are and even less on if they are being followed.

Australia is a very diverse place and its people hold differing views depending on where you live, where you went to school, how much money you have and a zillion other things. And even amongst a smaller group like Bombers supporters there are a multitude of opinions on players, coaches, the club and what it all stands for.

Perhaps this diversity is what I love and makes Australia great.

The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze …

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

1 Like

If you nominate fark carlton as your team you should fail the citizenship test.

5 Likes