Politics

“Moving on” is the governing principle these days.

Even on BB we are encouraged to "move on"from the greatest scandal and stitch-up in Australian sporting history.

Now we see those advocates of us “moving on” are at the same level as this d!ckhead.

Yeah,… all good & let’s just go with a shoulder shrug, and move on.

R Sole.

This morning very early at 5:45 am, I laid a wreath on behalf of my local Federal MP at the local RSL Dawn Service. It was wet and cold but there was about 2000 people attending.

Very young crowd which for me is surprising. What is the attraction? AnZAC Day for me is only about going to the Footy, but obviously somewhat more important for many younger people.

Anyone have a view ?

The Twitter account set up for him was terrific reading last night.

1 Like

Perhaps your local MP should have found someone else to lay a wreath.

2 Likes

Maybe you should have asked them. I’d imagine there would be lots of reasons why younger people have respect for the day. Perhaps the more pertinent question for yourself may be why don’t you?

2 Likes

:neutral_face:

Why did you go if your not interested in its significance?

1 Like

Political reasons probably.

That’s not a very good reason imo.

I once attended a Remembrance Day ceremony. The local member arrived at 10:30 and had his people ask the organisers if they could “do all the ceremony stuff a bit earlier” because said local member was very busy.

Fark off and die you ■■■■.

1 Like

I find it surprising that people say they are surprised by the number of young people attending.

This gets reported in the MSM every year I recall since about 1977. That was when the Bushwhackers had the Eric Bogle song “The band played Waltzing Matilda”.

Patsy Adam-Smith’s book “The ANZACS” also came out about then - she interviewed the last of the surviving diggers about their experiences. Many hadn’t told anyone their stories in over 60 years. What they went through was just horrific.

By that time people’s focus had shifted off conscription to send more kids to foreign wars, and had focussed on the experiences of the soldiers. I think young people coming up to 18 or 19 can relate to what those kids of their age would have gone through back in WW1 and WW2 in particular.

Let me explain so that some of you don’t go further Pauline Hansen on me.

Both my Mum and Dad fought in New Guinea in WWII, Dad was in a Commando unit and Mum was in Intelligence. I didn’t inherit her brains or his courage.

When I was a kid, Anzac Day was about both of my folks marching in the streets of Melbourne and then going to their units “reunions” and I usually went to the footy at the G on my own. We did not learn any Australian history after 1850 at primary school and none at high school. So it meant very little to me.

I do get defending your Country like my parents and many others did against the Japs, and most of us would do the same. I don’t get Australians fighting in WWI, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. My Son did two tours as a Combat Engineer in Afghanistan, and I know what he saw and did. I am proud of my Parents and my Son for the service they gave, but ■■■■■■ Ploiticians start wars, not soldiers.

Dawn Service in our Community is a good event and brings people together. It has grown from about 40 people 10 years ago, to thousands and many wreaths.

Sorry I am so stupid, but I do not get why.

My local MP has about 20 Towns in the electorate that have Dawn Services or Anzac marches, and tries to get to as many as possible.

There’s part of your answer.

2 Likes

Well give me the benefit of your wisdom.

You just said it was a good event & brings people together, maybe that’s why people attend it. Maybe this next generation have grown up with grandparents who served but those grandparents have now passed & they see this day as a time to remember them & pay respect to their sacrifices. I’m still not getting what your issue with that are.

You go to pay respect and give thanks to those that sacrificed for this country. You don’t have to support certain theatres and you dont have to involve politics. In fact it has nothing to do with politicians , the day is all about the brave men and women and showing them thanks.

If you dont agree you stay in bed

listening to some stories for vietnam diggers today. Their biggest regret was the publics attitude when they returned. They are so happy so see it embraced.

I can’t work out this conditional citizenship concept. The current incentive for citizenship over permanent residency is that you don’t have to meet the X days of residency, you get to vote and can’t be deported fora crime.
From what has been floated, certain crimes, such as female genital manipulation , child marriages and domestic violence - all crimes in Australia, - would void citizenship and render you liable to deportation but not if you commit murder. Murder is at the top of crimes in Australian law. And you could commit the most enormous fraud or violence other than domestic and not be deported.
As floated, the citizenship tests appear to be creating a new order of criminal liability.
Is it just racist dog- whistling?

Well we seem to have a Government with a whole pack of them ensconced within it atm, … so the only remaining question would be, can they whistle?