Politics

Or they could read the “ANZACS” book I mentioned last week.

Edit: sorry, I forgot people don’t read books these days.

I’m the lucky bearer of a book written about my Grandfather’s battalion in New Guinea. He edited it which is why he was able to give me his last copy in his latter days. It’s something I cherish and it’s interesting trying to match the progression of the book with Pa’s war stories. None of which are in the book because his stories were always the funny things that happened over there. As an enraptured teen aged I would sometimes ask him about fighting the japs in combat and how he got his military cross. He’d never give a straight answer which even at the time I could sort of understand. Talking to my uncles and my dad all they know is that one of his platoons were effectively wiped out by a woodpecker gun nest when the brigade were trying to push through and encircle a large number of enemy. The other two platoons had lost their higher ranks so he took control of one of them and… they got through them. I can identify in the text where that would have happened but it’s all very formal and ambiguous.

3 Likes

He had a few war souvenirs which I’m pretty sure only an officer would have gotten away with sneaking home. My grandparents lived on the beach in Port Fairy and there was an old set of binoculars on the window frame that my brother and I used to use to try to perve on girls in bikinis on the beach. I found out later they were a Japanese officer’s binoculars which kind of threw me at the time. He also brought an officer’s sword home which my dad said he remembers throwing around in the backyard with one of my uncles when they were kids. He said there was brown spots on it which give him the creeps to this day. Pa apparently wanted to find the family in Japan of the man who would have owned it and give it back to them but by that stage no one could find the thing, sadly. I think some ■■■■ cousin in the family may have pinched it and sold it.

4 Likes

Great stories - thanks for sharing.

That sword would be worth VERY big bucks these days. Do you have an unexpectedly rich cousin? or an exceptionally stupid one?

1 Like

God I love that Miriam Lyons. She speaks so well & has an incredible amount of facts to seemingly call on at will when she makes an argument.

She just buried that right wing goose Terry Barnes in his own bullshit on The Drum, not once, but over & over again.

I could listen to her argue with these flogs and watch her smack them down one after the other for hours.

She’s a cracker.

Agree Mr Devil, the other spicy star is Van Badham, great mind, great wit and a lovely person.

2 Likes

I liked watching Van Badtake get torn apart on twitter after she jumped ship from the Greenz to Labor.

The worst person I’ve ever seen on the Drum is Daisy ‘Beautiful girl’ Cousens. She is a halfwit.

Not sure I know her. Is she that chick from 'The Feed" show?

Was it Don Trump ?

No. Some waanabe right wing hack that writes dribble for rowan deans rag.

1 Like

Not sure. No one hears from him much. It’s just a theory. Truth is, no knows or admits to knowing at worst.

Gonski 2.0 Turnbull has jumped the shark

3 Likes

Good to see Bill standing up for the persecuted whiteys

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OVvWXUQAAh9Kc.jpg

2 Likes

Missing the bearded university lecturer and the angry ABC presenter (wearing $1000 worth of designer clothing of course).

2 Likes

Even though I consider myself a lefty, that was pretty funny…

1 Like

LOL. WTF.

Making Australia great again.

Is this Bills #faketradie moment?

1 Like