Politics

Not sure if you are serious…

I hope you’re not.

I have always thought it should be the Federal Parliamebtary Party who votes for their Leader. For me it is like letting the EFC Members vote for the Club Captain.

I voted for Albo, but the more I see of him, I regret it.

Now Bill Shorten is no superstar, but he has united his team better than any Leader in my long memory. I get that many do not like him, but I do and he will be a good PM.

1 Like

Pleas explain Albert ?

I think Bill and the Labor party missed an opportunity with this budget.

They should have come out smiling and saying they think great steps have been taken and only a few new tweaks were needed.

Would have been refreshing to voters who believe they get screwed by having two parties who won’t support each other at the cost of the taxpayer and also split the Liberal party proper.

I think a lot of us are waiting for some positive politics.

3 Likes

So Turnbull wants us to believe that there’s no reason for the banks to pass on the tax costs to customers, and Shorten is back on his soapbox that 87k per year (just 1.3x the national average) makes you a high income earner who should pay more.

They can all gtfo.

1 Like

What great steps have been taken ?

Cutting Company Tax ? Spending more on Defence and Police, and cutting funds to Higher Education ?

Drug testing in order to cut welfare benefits etc etc etc ?

You realize that Labor is the opposition and holds different economic and social views to the LNP.

Am serious.

That would be good. It’s been going on for years, but Abbott made it an art form and the US Republicans were happy to destroy the government in doing so.

This mindless gainsaying just sounds like the Argument sketch in Monty Python, and is a significant reason why the general public are so disenchanted with politicians.

• just waiting for some dropkick to say “no, it doesn’t”
3 Likes

Actually funding NDIS.

Means based school funding (although more needs doing).

Plenty could be better, but there is positivity.

There is difference between the two major parties (having worked on health education I know) but there is also a pig headedness about seemingly being really different to the point that decent measures don’t get through.

2 Likes

Both Medicare and NDIS are under-funded, and the extra that we all have to pay in the Medicare Levy, is coupled with a cut in what the rich pay for the Medicare levy.

Education is still underfunded compared to Gonski; and all Parties still persist with funding schools that have $$$$millions in assets and money in the bank.

What else is positive? I am trying very hard to find it , unless you are wealthy, own a business and get a Company Tax break, or an Investor and get a cut is CGT from 50% to 60%

What about having to wait six months before you can get unemployment benefits, and also have to do a drug test? What about Victoria getting fark all in funding for infrastructure ? I could go on an don, but you live in a dream world where all have to agree with each other.

Look around, unemployment is rising, wages are falling, houses are unaffordable, and our environment is farked; Trump has the World on the edge of WWIII, and the Bombers have lost 4 out of the last five. Hard to be positive.

1 Like

for true reform, need to stop profits heading overseas - see Apple, etc
Forget about lowering the company tax rate leave it at 30%

change superannuation. And Tax free pensions from super.

Increase the tax free thresholds.
I would go
0-25,000 Tax Free
25001-50000 20%
50001-100000 30%
100001-200000 40%
200001+ 45%

change super so that even in pension phase you are paying 15% tax.
Cap Individual Superfund balances at 1,000,000
Once they hit that they should not be able to contribute anymore super and be taxed at marginal rates.

Scrap Centrelink System
Scrap family assistance
and give everyone 18+ $20,000 taxable income.
As in the future there will be less jobs and the companies will need to support us.

1 Like

Not sure if you’re ok. Hope so.

Labor promise a lot but failed to do as many while in power including fully funding NDIS and Gonski. Can’t cry poor now.

The rest will need to pass the senate but somethings should be supported by Labor and not left up to the indis etc. It would be a good move for them IMO.

Labor are a bit of a mess right now. Had their wind truly knocked out of them. Couldn’t hurt them to split the Libs more so.

1 Like

Not according to the budget they predicted a 3% wage increase annually to restore the budget to surplus in 2021. Bullshit

2 Likes

Wages are pretty stagnant IMO.

and you can see with the brewing industry and others like universities, due to all the union labor wage increases they get to a stage where they make all staff redundant, and bring in new staff at half their costs to perform essentially the same work.

1 Like

Labor is going OK, they have a strong Federal Team and good policy.

They would be better if I was running them, but you cannot have everything.

Back in 1974, I was earning about $10,000 as a technician in a laboratory which is equivalent to $150,000 on the best comparative measure.

Same job today gets about $60,000.

Wages continue to fall.

3 Likes

This budget was always about the Medicare levy.
I’m glad Labor know it.
I’m weirded out that the lefties here didn’t

1 Like

They would be better, . scratch that,… In Government,… if we could give Bill a personality transplant.

I still don’t get how, after all this time, & a private school education no less, how he can still be saying, “with another thing” as wiv annuver fing!!

Surely it’s not difficult to fix & stop,… so I can only assume that he, &/or his advisors think it’s somehow cute, or makes him more relatable or endearing to the “everyman” or the working class or sumfing.

Fkn ridiculous, . you want to be the LEADER of my country, the Head of State fcs … first learn how to pronounce your fkng words properly, … no one wants to elect someone to that position that sounds like some sort of Bovver boy bogan,…

Have to agree.
Geez, he’s been given a fair run.
Unlikable and possibly unelectable.

1 Like