Politics

I’m a little confused with the kerfuffle over the Citizenship English speaking requirements - why are they doing an IELTS test to become citizens? I would have thought this process is done during permanent residency applications?

I’m a PR of Canada and I had to do the IELTS even though I had been brought up and went through a schooling system in an English speaking country like Australia. However we don’t have to do another language test when we apply to become a citizen.

I’ve got a feeling the announcement on the upgraded citizenship tests were a nod to PHON in exchange for their vote on Gonski 2.0.

The timing was “curious”.

How about the whole song that reflects the ideas in this thread?

Australians all let us rejoyce,
For we burnt coal that’s free.
Though coal is now proven to wreck,
our planet from hot air.
You’ll find those arguing with haste,
that plants just love the taste!
In our next page and every stage,
Advance australia coal!
Our lungs with soot we’ll try to moot,
Australia from new gains!

Did I miss anything?

1 Like

Apart from rhymes, … no. …

2 Likes

A missive from Mr Dandrews …

Dan Andrews [email protected]
20:33 (4 hours ago)

To BS Devils. Esq,

We did it

Tonight, the Prime Minister wrote to me agreeing to pay $1.5 billion owed to Victorians for better regional rail.

This money was owed under our signed agreement on Asset Recycling. But up until today, Malcolm Turnbull had refused to pay up.

All year, we’ve been fighting for this funding to upgrade every regional rail line in Victoria.

The State Liberals told us to back down. The Turnbull Government told us we should be happy with whatever crumbs fell off the table in Sydney.

But together, we fought, and we won.

Labor MPs and supporters hit the ground and campaigned. They showed the Turnbull Government that Victorians will never back down.

Because of those efforts, every regional rail line in Victoria will be upgraded.

Because we worked together and took them on, 1,000 new jobs will be created.

This is how we fight and win.

But there’s much more to do, and there’s bigger battles to come.

So get involved now, and help us keep fighting for the things that matter.

Cheers

Dan Andrews

2 Likes

In clueless record producer fashion:

“Great! That’s great! Could you put a little something about being too rich to pay taxes in there?”

fixed

1 Like

Did anyone else see the 4 Corners story last night on the Aveo Aged Care corporation? That was outrageous and even if only half true needs to be regulated urgently. Anyone who makes their living by stitching up old people is a disgrace.

Anyone who makes their living stitching up anyone is a disgrace.

4 Likes

I would’ve accepted if you said you had a fever and the only perscription was more cow bell.

3 Likes

The Liberal Party does NOT have factions! :wink:

1 Like

“I voted LNP because Labor are a divided mess.”

Don’t look now, but…

Doctors and nurses are alright in my book :wink:

5 Likes

if you want to listen to something that is quite comical no its well I can quite describe what is.

Turnbull on 3aw with Neil Mitchell this morning…

Another example of how far out of reality the Liberal party has become under this thing!

Labour should never attack this guy hes labours biggest assest!

Looks like the Greens have got factions too…the watermelon faction of which Lee Rhiannon is the boss and the Avocados of which Di Natale rules the roost.

If only he could bring that fight to, you know - the surge in violent crime under his watch

What more can any Government do?

They increase police numbers, make sentences tougher, tighten bail and parole provisions and all the rest.

The bleeding hearts take the Government to court because they put violent young thugs in Barwon, Civil Rights are somehow infringed because we try to make our society safer, and supporting criminals is more progressive than jailing them.

Across the World drugs are rampant and society is powerless to stop its spread, unless we take the lead fron Duerte in Manila and shoot them all.

If I hear an Opposition in any Government say that if elected they wil go “tough on crime” I think I will scream. Most crime is economic and perhaps finding more jobs for everyone could help, but no Government can stop a violent, apathetic, compassionless thug; the problem starts before birth.

1 Like

We need more coal mines.

People who are working have much less time to partake in crime.
People who take legal drugs are less likely to need to commit crimes for money to live.
We need jobs for people that pay a decent living wage.
We need to legalise drugs.