Politics

Or maybe we could just hang miscreants in the town square.

A political party without factions, whether informal collections of like-minded people or weirdly official like the ALP variety, isnā€™t a political party. Itā€™s a cult.

1 Like

You mean like family first?

I bet even they have internal factions, and spend their branch meetings arguing ferociously with each other whether its more biblically correct for the gays to be stoned or burnt at the stakeā€¦

Ah, the pesky Leviticus factionā€¦

3 Likes

so legalise the opiate of the masses to have them all toe the line?

Not sure itā€™s quite what Marx meant, but Iā€™m sure he would agree.

1 Like

I never knew before now that Dutton was a hacker.

Just wow!

If you are calling me Dutton then the love affair is over.

My nephew is going for a job in Geelong. The boss demanded a drug test because two of his employees have ice habits and are continually skiving off.

Certain drugs can be legalised, or decriminalised. Ice isnā€™t one of them.

The Liberal right seem determined to destroy their partyā€™s electability for quite some time.

Rupe and the suits behind the IPA bought them their tickets in Canberra. They probably think theyā€™ll fix it all next time. They might have good reason to think that too.

Tony Abbott is determined to ensure the ā€œconservativeā€ voice is heard. My problem with that is that I reckon thatā€™s only 25-30% of the country now.

1 Like

I agree. But itā€™s likely there would have been less incentive for people to make and use ice if there had been legal alternatives available at an affordable price.
We just keep pushing ourselves further and further down a rabbit hole in our slavish addiction to the prohibition regime.
Didnā€™t work for alcohol in the USA and itā€™s never worked for drugs.

4 Likes

Not only that, I wonder if itā€™s only 25-30% of federal Liberals.

Edit: Also, I donā€™t mind conservatives. The feral minority under Abbottā€™s heel who pass themselves off as conservatives are destructive for the nation.

Malcolm Turnbull was asked today if he was aware that he was the most out of touch leader in historyā€¦he replied im unaware of that!

6 Likes

Iā€™m familiar with watermelon. Havenā€™t heard avocado though. Is it ā€œgiant nutā€?

I made it upā€¦oneā€™s green on the outside and red on the insideā€¦the otherā€™s green both inside and out.

Class act Scott. Loves democracy does Scott. Good christian is Scott.

#Scott Morrison threatens to cut statesā€™ GST share if they oppose fracking
Lock the Gate accuses Coalition of trying to blackmail governments into accepting controversial gas extraction industry

Scott Morrison has threatened to cut the GST distribution for state and territory governments if they push back against unconventional gas exploration, known as ā€œfrackingā€.

He has warned state governments the Productivity Commission will be considering its attitude towards the controversial gas extraction industry ā€“ particularly any moratoriums or limits on the practice ā€“ in its review of the goods and services tax distribution, according to reports.

ā€œI think it needs a fair dinkum look,ā€ Morrison told the Australian. ā€œThe Productivity Commission is looking at whether the way the states and territories operate is giving them a leave pass under the GST formula for not getting on and doing things. When you have states that get on and do things, should they be penalised by getting less GST?ā€

Morrisonā€™s threat has enraged an anti-coal seam gas group, Lock the Gate.

ā€œThis is an outrageous move by the federal government to blackmail state and territory governments into accepting fracking, regardless of the devastating impact it will have on farmland and water resources,ā€ Georgina Woods from Lock the Gate said on Thursday.

ā€œWe will be asking for urgent advice as to whether it is lawful for the government to subvert the proper return of tax dollars to states in order to pursue a blatantly political agenda to promote multinational fracking companies.

ā€œThis is yet another example of the fracking industry undermining our democratic institutions ā€“ even the fair distribution of GST dollars is now being hopelessly compromised by the debasement of our democracy to fossil fuel interests.ā€

Morrisonā€™s warning to the states comes as the Turnbull government tries to keep a lid on rapidly rising energy prices, with electricity bills set to increase by up to 20% on 1 July.

The Grattan Institute warned two months ago that the national electricity market was already at ā€œcrisis pointā€, with urgent action required before summer to safeguard against the risk of blackouts.

Since then the Turnbull government has been increasingly criticising state governments for their opposition to coal seam gas, blaming them for Australiaā€™s gas shortage, but little has been done.

The question of whether or not Australia has a gas shortage is highly disputed.

Most states and territories in Australia still have some form of restriction on fracking, or are considering one. Queensland and South Australia are the only states that donā€™t.

In April, Morrison announced a Productivity Commission review of the way in which the GST is collected and distributed among the states. As part of the terms of reference, he asked the commission to examine ā€œstate laws and policies restricting the development of energy resourcesā€.

He said on Wednesday it was unfair the Northern Territory received more than four times the GST revenue it raised itself when it had a moratorium on coal seam gas extraction, while Western Australia made great use of its natural resources and was penalised for it, receiving a paltry GST share, according to the Australian.

Woods said the Turnbull government was effectively threatening to shortchange schools and hospitals ā€œin their fervour to give gas fracking giants access to every last square inch of Australiaā€.

Mater Fracking Coalsmack.

So they could allow it but charge $400,000,000,000 per licence which expires after 30 minutes.

NEXT.

1 Like