Politics

Too much GoT

1 Like

So to apply to be a politician you only need to complete paperwork. There is no vetting at all?

Reckon M Cormann will be sh*tting bricks.

This is confusing me as well. It’s all pretty harmless being Canadian or British etc. But there’s no security vetting of politicians on their backgrounds. What if they were Russian or Increasingly likely Chinese? You would think some kind of legal checks are performed up front before people get into parliament. To check on nationality, security clearance, criminal history. It looks like you just get in and then someone can dob you in years later.

Access to security classified documents is subject to security clearance. That includes staffers as well as the politicians.

Amazing that the one party who break the citizenship rules are the whitest, most Anglo party in all of Parliament.

So if it is true that this is payback by that other Greens senator as some are claiming, doesn’t that mean that it was known within the party and kept hidden? If so isn’t that a breach of some sort of law?

BREAKING: Lee Rhiannon to resign after discovering she is still a citizen of the Soviet Union

She can be the next ambassador to America then, those Russian links will come in handy.

1 Like

I don’t think there was any sort of conspiracy of silence on this one. Far as I can tell, Ludlam’s citizenship had been questioned a few years back (by Andrew Landeryou mostly, who’s been hanging around on the fringes of ALP-land for a while, and who makes a lot of big claims only some of which are true). Ludlam responded by giving evidence of his naturalisation, which most people found reasonable (and which Ludlam himself believed was sufficient). Obviously someone kept digging, and finally realised that naturalisation doesn’t imply revocation, and interested some journo in it. Said journo called Ludlam for comment, Ludlam looked into it himself and realised he’d stuffed up. Then resigned because his position was obviously untenable. The timing with the Rhiannon thing is suggestive, but not conclusive, but Rhiannon hasn’t got many friends in the non-NSW Greens so it wouldn’t surprise me. Also it’s worth remembering that Di Natale won greens leadership with 6 votes out of 11, and I think 4 of those 6 are now gone.

Waters - I’m not sure about. Could have been she’s in the same boat as Ludlam and there was a tip-off about her and she jumped before getting dumped. Also possible that seeing Ludlam go gave her an ‘oh ■■■■’ moment and she looked into her own citizenship status (which she probably hadn’t though about in decades) and found bad news there.

He is a sovereign citizen.

1 Like

Some suspicion he’s an Indian citizen again without knowing it. He was apparently born there in the 60s, under their citizenship act in place at the time you’re a citizen automatically by being born there.

Pauline Hanson’s One Nation partyroom, being flooded by Asians.

It seems a bit stupid that something that you quite easily wouldn’t even know you had could disqualify you from office.

They be proper crazy. In a funny way.

Don’t think he is though, wouldn’t he spell his name as maLcom rOBErts if he was?

1 Like

You reckon he can write?

Roberts is safe, Indian Constitution does not allow for dual citizenship and he has had it confirmed by Indian government that not an Indian citizen. One Nation learnt its lesson from the Heather Hill episode.

He was born in India and I am sure they rejected him

So these adults never had a discussion with their parents about their family tree?

…or tried that website called google…

Does not pass the pub test

Suppose forgetting about your citizenship is like forgetting to declare that million dollar property, or those shares you have, or that payment for a foreign company etc…

Punishment seems a bit too lenient for the highest office in the country.

Even the AFL would’ve punished them for bringing the country into disrepute.

He has spelt it as “Malcolm-Ieuan: Roberts., the living soul” in the past. Proper crazy.

2 Likes

It’s a bit harsh if your only cogent moments have been spent in Australia and you were born overseas to Australian parents, and didn’t realise you had to revoke something you didn’t know you had.

But them’s the rules and there’s no hope whatsoever of getting a change passed in a referendum.

Presumably Ludlum and Waters will get back in at the next Senate election.

Fancy that though…Ludlum being Bourne somewhere else.

3 Likes